Author Topic: Performer on eBay  (Read 3795 times)

chromium

• View Profile
Re: Performer on eBay
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 01:43:37 PM »
I remember playing on a couple of these when they were new.  Always thought the body was kinda cool, but that Katana headstock is hard to warm up to.

I wish the first-gen Dynabass I ended up buying instead was worth $1K+ now!  That sucker would be gone ;D  (although it is a decent bass - I  don't use it anymore)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2015, 04:16:51 PM »
What's the new avatar, Joe...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2015, 06:48:26 AM »
Hey Ken- it's just a pic of my pointy head from a gig last weekend  :P

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2015, 11:50:06 AM »
Ta... threw me a bit... :o
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2015, 05:15:07 PM »
I had a Surf Greeen Performer Bass. Sold it about 10 years ago on EBAY. If I recall, it sold pretty quick due to the color.

I kind of liked the bass.

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2015, 06:37:58 PM »
Well I'll fess up and admit that I bought the red one.

I pretty much require a skinny necked bass.  As a consequence I have not owned a Fender bass since I traded away my first bass in 1969.

I'd never heard of this model before I saw this thread.. .It inspired me to wave in the red one.

So far the description of mids, mids and more mids seems right. But that's using the tired rounds it came with through my new mid-heavy tube head.

I figure on throwing on a set of Ricky rounds once I clean it up and use it when I don't want to carry out my Blackstar. But then, do any of you think it would be worth trying out some bassy flats on it? If so, whaddaya suggest?

Thanks!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2015, 09:02:53 PM »
Great! Now you'll be the resident Performer expert.  ;D

If it were mine, I'd just get a new set of EB Super Slinkys or another roundwound with a balanced sound. But when it comes to bassy flats with some top end, I prefer LaBella DTB flats, the 760 FL (043-104) or the FX (039-096). The larger sizes aren't especially high in tension but that neck is so narrow I wouldn't want to overstress it.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2015, 01:38:33 PM »
Great! Now you'll be the resident Performer expert.  ;D

If it were mine, I'd just get a new set of EB Super Slinkys or another roundwound with a balanced sound. But when it comes to bassy flats with some top end, I prefer LaBella DTB flats, the 760 FL (043-104) or the FX (039-096). The larger sizes aren't especially high in tension but that neck is so narrow I wouldn't want to overstress it.

The 760 FL set is my all-time favorite. not very high tension, they sound great, and last practically forever.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2015, 06:05:47 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. LA Bellas have a good following for good reasons.

For years I only played Rickies and migrated from Rotos (one refret too many) to the Ricky brand rounds. (Sticking with one brand meant so much less work setting up new strings.)

But on my pair of Guild shorties, in recent years I always threw on TI Jazz Flats, but swapped one over to the Pyramid flats which sound almost as good and have a bit more tension on the right hand.   

A long way of getting to the news that I went with what I know and put a set of Pyramid flats on the Performer today. Even before intonating the bass, it sounds so much better. I figured I'd put rounds on it, but so far it sounds wicked with the flats. May I say, really "Fendery?"  I'll prolly leave it as is.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 08:27:52 PM by Happy Face »

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2015, 02:19:02 AM »
Still got regular Rotos on my PC and the last fret work was done by PC at his garage in Ealing in the early 80's... mine has fat frets, mind you...

Congrats on the purchase... I use the Roto Jazz flats on my (surprise-surprise) Jazz and enjoy the sound... also used (still in dock and will be for some time) them on my fretless RD with the same viewpoint on the sound... they are not as popular with some folks here, mind you...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2015, 11:47:10 AM »

A long way of getting to the news that I went with what I know and put a set of Pyramid flats on the Performer today. Even before intonating the bass, it sounds so much better. I figured I'd put rounds on it, but so far it sounds wicked with the flats. May I say, really "Fendery?"  I'll prolly leave it as is.

I'm not surprised.  Flats and Fender go together!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2015, 02:32:57 PM »
I'm not surprised.  Flats and Fender go together!

Except in some cases when rounds go better with them!  ;)