Author Topic: Wilson + McCartney + Hitler  (Read 7165 times)

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
Wilson + McCartney + Hitler
« on: February 28, 2015, 01:11:13 AM »
Quite enjoyable!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGVRQ-DC9PE

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Wilson + McCartney + Hitler
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 07:57:20 AM »
I'm learning a lot of stuff.  I had no idea Hitler was a Brian Wilson fan boy.  In this article, I learned that Noel Gallagher actually doesn't like Brian Wilson.  I also learned that Oasis was the world's greatest band (at least according to Noel Gallagher.)

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/noel-gallagher-on-loving-seinfeld-hating-most-everything-else-20150227?page=2
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 09:34:59 PM »
That Hitler's always getting bent out of shape about something.

"How can it be a Hall of Fame without Van Dyke Parks?" LOL!

Some good zingers in there but any comparison like this just reinforces why I don't care for the Beach Boys.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 08:46:38 AM »
I also learned that Oasis was the world's greatest band (at least according to Noel Gallagher.)

I was laughing about that over the weekend too. Guess I must have been living under a rock or something when that happened.  ???

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 11:23:56 AM »
I was laughing about that over the weekend too. Guess I must have been living under a rock or something when that happened.  ???

Klaus Voorman quotes George Harrison in an interview with Mat Snow which mentions that Oasis ripped off some George Harrison song titles. 

GH:
"F***ing Oasis!  Can't stand them!"

I understand George being upset.  He had his reasons.  Personally, though, I don't care one way or another.  I bought one Oasis album, didn't like it and that was that.  I did, however, once know an Oasis fanatic who was a fine guitarist. 

« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 11:30:14 AM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 12:51:43 PM »
"Did Mr. Kite bring anyone to tears?" LOL
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 01:14:07 PM »
"Did Mr. Kite bring anyone to tears?" LOL

It's a John Lennon song that even he admitted wasn't very good.  On the other hand, the Oasis album I bought and attempted to like didn't have any good songs on it.  Name one good Oasis song. 

--Blaise Pascal

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 08:01:20 PM »
Hey, I like Mr Kite, goofy as it is.  I was just laughing at a line from the video.

I've never liked Oasis, personally.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 10:15:43 PM »
Eventually Oasis will be remembered more for the Gallagher brothers' fighting than for their music.

Warning: NSFW language

Oasis Feud: The Best Of Noel Gallagher vs. Liam Gallagher

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 03:14:11 AM »
Hey, I like Mr Kite, goofy as it is.  I was just laughing at a line from the video.

I've never liked Oasis, personally.

Oh, I'm sorry.  I think I'm just so used to being around people lately who are hyper-critical of the Beatles that I can instantly react sometimes.  For instance, recently I read a comment in which someone said the only good thing about the Beatles is that half of them are dead.  Even in real life I'm around a relative a lot who really dislikes the Beatles.  When it comes to music, we are polar opposites. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 04:11:22 AM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 08:54:05 AM »
i like the beatles but am not a big fanboy. i do acknowledge their genius and will defend them always. my easy  pick for best rock group of all time if there is a pole lurking about.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 08:07:21 PM »
I'm not sure if I'd consider myself a Beatles fan boy, but I'm definitely a loyal George Harrison fan.  I tend to lean toward his most obscure albums that the critics often hated.  Plus, I really appreciate the fact that Willie Weeks plays bass on a number of tracks found on those albums.   
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 08:15:23 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 10:15:15 AM »
I'm learning a lot of stuff.  I had no idea Hitler was a Brian Wilson fan boy.  In this article, I learned that Noel Gallagher actually doesn't like Brian Wilson.  I also learned that Oasis was the world's greatest band (at least according to Noel Gallagher.)

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/noel-gallagher-on-loving-seinfeld-hating-most-everything-else-20150227?page=2

I think Noel is a hilarious interview partner. And that new CD - I just heard it this mornung - ain't bad. It oozes Oasis all over, very psychedelic. Oasis on mushrooms.

With Oasis, I'm sitting on the fence, I don't think they were a really great band, but a good one with some songwriting skill. If you listen to all their major and minor hits, you can't help but notice a fair spattering of good hooks and decent harmonies. Lyrics weren't their strong department and neither was instrumental prowess. Live they could be workmanlike to tedious. Liam's inability to communicate with an audience as a frontman overstayed its welcome pretty quickly.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 11:26:31 AM »
I think Noel is a hilarious interview partner. And that new CD - I just heard it this mornung - ain't bad. It oozes Oasis all over, very psychedelic. Oasis on mushrooms.

With Oasis, I'm sitting on the fence, I don't think they were a really great band, but a good one with some songwriting skill. If you listen to all their major and minor hits, you can't help but notice a fair spattering of good hooks and decent harmonies. Lyrics weren't their strong department and neither was instrumental prowess. Live they could be workmanlike to tedious. Liam's inability to communicate with an audience as a frontman overstayed its welcome pretty quickly.

Because of the people I was around and the circumstances I was in, it would have made some sense to like both U2 and Oasis.  I honestly tried fairly hard, but was ultimately unable to like either band.  It never got to the point that I actually disliked anybody from either band, though.  Observing some of the turmoil in Oasis was kind of sad to watch.  I found myself somewhat sympathetic at times. 

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 01:50:17 PM »
The wisdom of Noel Gallagher  :rolleyes:  (NSFW language)