Author Topic: Gibson EB 2014 5 String  (Read 11470 times)

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
Gibson EB 2014 5 String
« on: February 24, 2015, 06:43:18 PM »
At practice tonight, I played a Gibson EB 2014 5 string. I was quite impressed. I've never really played a 5 string, didn't really want to after all of these years of playing a "normal" bass, but it wasn't bad. I was most impressed by the pickups in the EB bass. All of the other pickups in all the recent models seem to be TB+ pickups, these were really ballsy, well balanced. It had push pull volume knobs to switch the pickups to single coil. The neck was a bit wide, but I didn't fumble around half as much as I would have anticipated I would. Anybody else try one??

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/gibson-eb-2014-5-string-electric-bass-guitar
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

leftybass

• View Profile
Re: Gibson EB 2014 5 String
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 07:32:58 AM »
I have a 4-string and agree, the pickups and electronics are awesome. I absolutely love this bass.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 02:45:11 PM »
What came first... the chicken or the Eggmen...? :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 03:43:43 PM »
It is one Gibson (the fiver) that looks as if it would work for me

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 03:54:57 PM »
I think I would be plenty happy with the 4 string also.......... (if I needed another bass!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 04:16:15 PM »
I think I would be plenty happy with the 4 string also.......... (if I needed another bass!)

I had Uwe's 4-stringer here for a few months before shipping it. Really liked the sound, and the neck width wasn't a problem. Not a big fan of the styling but I wasn't in the market for one anyway.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 05:00:04 PM »
The neck on the 5 string is quite wide, but it was workable. The pickups produced such a deep sound, it didn't really seem like you needed the fifth string.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 10:32:54 PM »
They do have a deep sound but if you need to go below Low E you'll still need to drop D or use a 5-string.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 06:35:41 AM »
I know I'm in the minority here, but I have become quite attached to using a low B string over the years...to the point where I have no desire to go back to 4 string (other than when my hands hurt from playing my sixer)...

At first low B aided transposing down, as many times we can no longer hit the high notes as reliably (think Foreigner and Bon Jovi and Donna Summer)...

Now it is fully integrated into my playing...even notes readily available on a 4 string sound fatter when played on the B string. Different strokes.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 01:15:40 PM »
Here we are, 13 months later & it happened again............... I'd been eyeballing one of these for a while. I need it about as bad as most things I've bought lately. This one had been listed for about 30 days. I made him an offer & he accepted. I'll have to make arrangements to go pick it up early next week. Looks like I bought my last guitar again! I be bad!

The price was right, I don't know how much I'll use it, should be fun. Also neurotically enough, it extends the EB-0,1,2,3,4 & 5 lineup.............. ???

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 04:55:22 PM »
Never wait until you need it to buy it, even if it means selling your Leg Lamp in order to afford it.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 07:42:20 PM »
Quite a few guitars have come and gone, but I still have my leg lamp! If my wife thinks collecting guitars is bad, I could start collection leg lamps???? The worlds largest collection of Major Awards! ( It could be more normal than what I have collected LOL).

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 07:16:34 PM »
It's a fine 5-string, and a passive one at that, with a strong, but not domineering B string. Due to the fleshier neck, it sounds a bit phatter than its 4-string sibling.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2016, 05:44:31 AM »
My guitar playing (and collecting) partner-in-crime has the exact bass. I've played it a few times at practice and was quite impressed. I can't say that I am totally use to the five string, but it was easier to play than I visualized. My tuner vibrated off of my cabinet for the first time ever! The bass has big balls. Speaking of tuners, most of my tuners won't tune the low "B" string. My Boss TU-3 seems to be the only one in my arsenal. I have several Boss TU-12's, they don't seem to go down that low. I'm planning on picking it up tomorrow around supper time. It's about a two hour drive from here. I'd still like to try it's four string sibling.

Fretless

• Stuck in the middle of the Corn Ghetto!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2016, 08:18:08 AM »
That's a fiver that even a hard-core four-stringer like me could love...a long time! :mrgreen:
I could'a been a visionary...a hundred years ago!