Author Topic: New Aguilar Fuzzistor pedal  (Read 1881 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
New Aguilar Fuzzistor pedal
« on: January 28, 2015, 11:29:53 PM »
Interesting. Not just another fuzz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vTP909tUI0

chromium

• View Profile
Re: New Aguilar Fuzzistor pedal
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 09:46:11 AM »
Cool.  Sounds like it'd add a smooth overdrive at more subtle settings.

I'm enjoying the Aguilar preamp/DI (Tone Hammer).  Nice sounding pre... and it also has an overdrive feature built into it, but my only gripe for live use is that it's usually too much and too loud when engaged- and there's no means of setting the level separately for that feature.

I occasionally run the EHX Muff'n for some subtle drive...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 02:17:11 PM »
Hmmm.  I was just rethinking me pedalboard (got the new Earthquake Devices Grand Orbiter v2 in the mail to replace an Ibanez classic series, and the old Boss Dual OD was next on the list because i am tired of it; litle heavy handed and too 80s - got a Green Rhino on hold at a local shop).  I haven't been that into fuzz  as I find it really washes out the lows and you loose note definition, but I may have to try this thing.  I do have a Fuzz Factory, but I don't think I ever tried it as an effect so much as a source (it can be set to self-oscillate, and the controls allow you to tune that to a specific pitch).  It's pretty tweakable so I suppose I'll try that and hopefully be able to compare it to the Anguilar at some local shop.

Definately some classic lead tones in there (I heard some Stooges), but also very Jack White (in his various forms/projects).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 08:42:00 PM »
Cool.  Sounds like it'd add a smooth overdrive at more subtle settings.

I'm enjoying the Aguilar preamp/DI (Tone Hammer).  Nice sounding pre... and it also has an overdrive feature built into it, but my only gripe for live use is that it's usually too much and too loud when engaged- and there's no means of setting the level separately for that feature.

Joe, do you mean that the Tone Hammer's overdrive is too loud, or are you talking about the preamp gain?

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 08:51:53 PM »

I occasionally run the EHX Muff'n for some subtle drive...

Hmmmmmmm........Not sure I've ever heard you use that mythical "subtle drive" Joe.  ;D
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 10:33:31 PM »
Joe, do you mean that the Tone Hammer's overdrive is too loud, or are you talking about the preamp gain?

Its that "AGS" feature (adaptive gain stage, or whatever they call it...) that kicks in an overdrive function with a secondary footswitch.

The amount of overdrive is based on the setting of the gain knob, and so that much can at least be controlled.  The problem is that, when activated, the volume of that AGS feature is noticeably louder than the preamp-only mode.  It makes it tough to just kick that on and go... have to adjust gain settings every time.  I'd probably use it's overdrive function more often if it weren't for that.

I mainly just wanted the preamp and DI on the pedalboard, though, and it does both of those things very well.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 10:35:19 PM »
Hmmmmmmm........Not sure I've ever heard you use that mythical "subtle drive" Joe.  ;D

Hey- there's no subtlety here at home.  Anything goes  ;D