Author Topic: Gibson at NAMM 2015  (Read 4166 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Gibson at NAMM 2015
« on: January 28, 2015, 11:19:20 PM »
I sat through 22 minutes of this and not a single word about basses, but it's an interesting look at the changes they have made, including the adjustable zero fret and nut assembly. I was surprised to find out that the LP Classic and Deluxe have an active boost.

amptech

• View Profile
Re: Gibson at NAMM 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 02:29:31 AM »
Yeah, he´s thorough. I actually appreciate when interviewers let people talk, instead of making their own comments all
the time. I like the fact that they (apparently) spend some time developing/mixing pickups, and use old designs too - like the alnico rod P90. I just wish they would separate the electronics developers from the tuner developers :)

And for all that tasteful design features, why do they do that black overspray at the neck heel on some models?
It looks awful, at least to me. Am I missing something, is it there for a reason??

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 02:41:04 PM »
Didn't watch that vid yet, but I saw another one about the new line of Les Paul studio monitors.  I'm just gonn a sum up my thoughts on that one with an eyeroll.

Interested in this adjustable zero fret thing tho.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 08:51:55 PM »
He discusses the zero fret and nut assembly starting at about 4:45.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 08:13:31 AM »
And for all that tasteful design features, why do they do that black overspray at the neck heel on some models?
It looks awful, at least to me. Am I missing something, is it there for a reason??

+1.
Looks like an overspray luthiers sometimes use to cover up a mistake/repair.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 09:33:10 PM »
LOL! So much for that cryogenically treated brass zero fret/nut assembly. This guy shows that his strings are already wearing grooves in the zero fret in the two weeks he's had the guitar.

A zero fret should be nickel silver or harder, not brass.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 08:22:45 AM »
It's a good thing they have that "full contact" bridge so you can FINALLY get some tone and sustain out of a Les Paul.  :rolleyes:

Nice job on the zero fret too.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 11:30:55 AM »
It's a good thing they have that "full contact" bridge so you can FINALLY get some tone and sustain out of a Les Paul.  :rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly  :mrgreen:

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 03:00:44 PM »
LOL! So much for that cryogenically treated brass zero fret/nut assembly. This guy shows that his strings are already wearing grooves in the zero fret in the two weeks he's had the guitar.

A zero fret should be nickel silver or harder, not brass.

My Victory Standard has a brass nut.  No such issues (I use flats - maybe that helps... the previous owner didn't though).  Brass nuts were a fad on basses in the late 70s/early 80s.

It's probably worse on geetars, with the thinner strings (like a sharp knife, vs thicker bass strings).  Maybe why the fad never caught on with guitarists.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 03:50:05 PM »
My Victory Standard has a brass nut.  No such issues (I use flats - maybe that helps... the previous owner didn't though).  Brass nuts were a fad on basses in the late 70s/early 80s.

It's probably worse on geetars, with the thinner strings (like a sharp knife, vs thicker bass strings).  Maybe why the fad never caught on with guitarists.

There's no problem with a brass nut. The problem here is the brass zero fret.

A zero fret almost always has a slotted string guide behind. The string guide can be any of the usual nut materials, but the zero fret is made out of the same material as the other frets, nickel silver or stainless steel, both a good deal harder than brass. Strings won't cut grooves in it easier than the other frets.

What Gibson has done is put both the zero fret and string guide in a single brass unit. The brass they're using isn't hard enough to act as a fret.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 04:00:14 PM »
Oh.  I figured since it was a 2 in 1 unit then it was the same as just a brass nut.

Frankly I don't understand the difference - if just a nut (no zero fret) how is wear not an issue?  Less movement due to being in slots?

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 03:17:46 PM »
Oh.  I figured since it was a 2 in 1 unit then it was the same as just a brass nut.

Frankly I don't understand the difference - if just a nut (no zero fret) how is wear not an issue?  Less movement due to being in slots?

It's not just a nut. It's both a zero fret and a slotted string guide (not really a nut) in one unit.

This might make it clear.

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 07:29:04 AM »

I don't know why Gibson went to this style of nut?  What was wrong with the old bone nut?  Probably just so they don't have to cut the string slot depths accurately, thereby saving on labor cost.   :sad:

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 09:19:58 AM »
I don't know why Gibson went to this style of nut?  What was wrong with the old bone nut?  Probably just so they don't have to cut the string slot depths accurately, thereby saving on labor cost.   :sad:

Because it's NEW! (Thanks marketing dummies...) Brass seems like a really bad choice for a fret, zero or otherwise.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 03:25:44 PM »
They have to do something to justify the 30% price increases.