Author Topic: Fender's bass line-up for 2015  (Read 1392 times)

ilan

• View Profile
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Fender's bass line-up for 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 08:29:12 PM »
Nahhhh... no artificial aging for me.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 05:02:33 AM »
Nahhhh... no artificial aging for me.

The 59 got my attention, but the artificial aging turned me off too >:(.
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 08:57:52 AM »
I have enough genuine aging going on personally...don't need any artificial aging in my life.  :o
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 09:36:47 AM »
All my beat-up basses and guitars are real vintage that got worn the natural way. But let's not forget that sunburst started as an effort to imitate the aging of old violins, that get darker around the edges.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 01:06:16 PM by ilan »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 06:13:02 AM »
There's a big difference in trying to give an instrument a violin-like finish hue to imply that it is a quality work of art and will last the test of time  and purposefully sanding and scuffing off a beautiful new finish so that posers can pretend like they've invested more time in playing their instruments than they have. It sucks because there are quite a few nice "relic'ed" instruments out there, so why could Fender simply not have invested the time they did in making the rest of the instruments as nice as they are and sell them for slightly less since the labor involved in "aging" did not take place? I guess (and the market seems to support the notion) that there are far more fakers interested in LOOKING like they play hard than there are players out there actually playing hard.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 08:34:10 AM »
I don't know that I'd be averse to Fender using exposure to UV light to fade a nitro paint job to a "vintage" hue, as long as they keep away from the sandpaper.  There are some interesting colors that emerge from the aging process.  That would give you an instrument with a nice finish, just faded.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."