Author Topic: Crazy Train rides again  (Read 2996 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Crazy Train rides again
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 11:39:43 AM »
Wow, I just gave that Morello Serj Sarzo version a try. That was pretty awful.
I'm okay with a cover that adds something new, or when it is just a different approach. But this is just plain bad. The vocals are incredibly crappy. Who would have guessed Ozzy would be the better singer... I didn't make it to the end of this Crazy Train Wreck.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 06:24:18 AM »
It sounds like a Primus cover at half speed with none of the charm. It's awful. Poor Bob Daisley. I have yet to hear ANY cover band do "Crazy Train" and actually use his bassline because it's just easier to drop octave pedal tones and follow the guitar, not that most fans of Crazy Train could identify the urgent countermelodic bass playing as the driving force behind the song anyway, but this version just sounds so slow, constipated and half-hearted. I seriously would prefer a full-on Rage Against the Machine cover with Zach De La Rocha's anti-whitey angst lyrics and Tom not even trying to copy Randy (which if that was the goal here, he failed miserably), ...YUCK!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 06:47:20 AM »
Not so much bad as pointless. The guitar solo has humor in its utter OTTness and the hilarious ending though.

Ozzy is as much limited as a singer as he is difficult to emulate convincingly. These guys do it pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yACaB6fzt_c&index=4&list=RDgXp38pyx7dg
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 10:20:55 AM »
I have yet to hear ANY cover band do "Crazy Train" and actually use his bassline because it's just easier to drop octave pedal tones and follow the guitar

I've done it probably a couple of hundred times. The RIGHT way!  ;D It IS annoying when I hear some cover band hack dumb it down.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 01:52:24 PM »
Never liked Rudy's playing - especially when he's playing Daisley's lines. When I listen to "Speak Of The Devil", I'm reminded of somebody throwing marshmallows against a concrete wall.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 08:13:05 AM »
That marshmallow image is perfect.  Sarzo's playing is a bit on the diffuse side for whatever reason. It's not that he doesn't have the chops to execute. In a band like Quiet Riot - guitar, drums, bass with simplistic riffs - that didn't matter so much (mind you, what you hear on Metal Health - the song and the album - is mostly Chuck Wright, not Rudy), but when music gets more complex - Dio or Whitesnake - I find his bass playing gets lost quickly. Quicker than Jimmy Bain's or Neil Murray's for instance.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...