Author Topic: Carvin splitting in two  (Read 2353 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Carvin splitting in two
« on: January 21, 2015, 09:12:58 PM »
Carvin splits in two to launch Kiesel Guitars

One company for instruments, another for amps. Kiesel will be the boutique brand.

Don't watch the video unless you're having trouble getting to sleep.  :bored:

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: Carvin splitting in two
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 04:19:24 AM »
They need to go back to their old 70's passive pickups for basses which sound like Dimarzio's with less gain and more low mids. All of their modern pickups are various flavors of Jazz clones, even the MM sized ones, and their onboard electronics are terrible. Ken Smith and Spector are about the only modern active systems that have any distinctiveness and quality. Barts can be nice depending on the model and what they're in, but I got sick of their over use in the 90's. (If Gibson had any sense it would mass produce the old Les Paul LZ's and a legit Sidewinder again.) I don't mind Carvin's coffee-table looks, but all their modern neck profiles are too flat. I've not tried their recent Fender knockoffs, but I don't imagine they're anything so tonally distinctive as to give me a reason to do so.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 07:56:43 AM »
If Gibson had any sense it would mass produce the old Les Paul LZ's and a legit Sidewinder again.

Fookin amen.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 10:07:00 AM »
I don't mind Carvin's coffee-table looks, but all their modern neck profiles are too flat.

That flat neck profile is exactly what I like about Carvin basses, it is very comfortable in my hands.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 10:28:50 AM »
Check out the Gibson Victory Standard; similar profile (I agree it's very comfy - and certainly unlike any other Gibson I have ever played) and rather undervalued basses.  Heavy tho (all maple).  Sound like a P's biker cousin (angrier).  Has a fender style Schaller roller bridge too.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 09:11:00 AM »
I played a friend's 4 string Carvin recently. Little bit older with a 2+2 headstock - not the Gibson type, but a little more toward pointy. Real nice koa with an ebony fingerboard. Neck felt great and it was really light. Somebody had put Alembic pickups on it, and it sounded really great through an Alembic pre-amp and Crown power amp into a 4x8 cab. Nice pillowy low end but, and plenty of articulation without sounding "trebly". Sad truth is, like Peavey, no matter how nice they make something, it's still going to be "a Carvin".  :-\

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 10:54:36 AM »
....it's still going to be "a Carvin"

There are believers and then there are non-believers. I wasn't convinced Carvin's were anything worth noting until one came up locally. At the time, I was on the hunt for a new bass - something a little more boutique - and this one fit the bill. Fantastic workmanship, great electronics package, looks great, feels great, sound great. I'm sold and would not hesitate to buy another Carvin.

I don't fully understand the benefit of splitting the company into two. Gotta be something tax-related because from a business perspective, the spin the current owners have put on it is BS.
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 04:38:29 PM »
It's a family owned business, maybe the brothers work better apart than together.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 04:40:25 PM »
Check out the Gibson Victory Standard; similar profile (I agree it's very comfy - and certainly unlike any other Gibson I have ever played) and rather undervalued basses.  Heavy tho (all maple).  Sound like a P's biker cousin (angrier).  Has a fender style Schaller roller bridge too.

I do have a Victory Standard, and it is heavy, which probably relates to it's value.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 05:47:16 PM »
It's a family owned business, maybe the brothers work better apart than together.

Could very well be. Or maybe it's just a matter of differing interests.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 01:48:01 AM »
Kiesel Vader guitar ? Is their CEO Dutch or what ? If so, he'd better check his spelling .....  ;D
Experience is the ultimate teacher

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 04:39:08 AM »
I know a couple of guys who absolutely love everything Carvin makes, guitars, basses , amps,  PAs, everything. For me, they fall right on the middle of the road. I can't really say anything bad about their stuff, yet I can't really say anything really good about them either. Right square in the middle of the road :-\.
Rick