Author Topic: Geddy Lee and his Thunderbird  (Read 24074 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Geddy Lee and his Thunderbird
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2015, 05:51:06 PM »
Well, it looked kind of old, forgive me!  ;D I have Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged too (the latter in impossible small type, gotta read that one quickly before nature catches up with me!) plus assorted explanations/apologies (of her own and of her disciples) of her, uhum, "teachings". Even a DVD of the 40ies film version of Fountainhead where she could never make up her mind whether she liked or despised it. That was hard to get!!!

For all her cerebral exhortations, Auntie Rand was always kinda obsessed with the rougher side of sex, dontcha think?

Mention the word "Rand" once and watch Herr Carlston call an immediate halt to his more profane chores and voice up!  :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2015, 07:19:46 PM »
And who knew that the mom from The Waltons pilot was so freakin' hot in her day?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2015, 09:06:30 PM »
.... Rush introduced me to Rand (which in Germany never had any standing either as a serious writer or philosopher, she's regarded as a libertarian nutcase).

Rand hated libertarians with a passion. Ask any hardcore Objectivist and you'll get an earful (DAMHIKT).

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2015, 03:40:47 AM »

This was when Geddy sounded good live........ Since then, no.

The answer to that mystery is visible in the photo. That's an old Linden-made SVT behind him.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2015, 06:16:22 AM »
And who knew that the mom from The Waltons pilot was so freakin' hot in her day?

That is her? I never knew!!! As the saying goes: There's prayers in old chapels too.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2015, 07:53:23 AM »
You know your Rush stuff all too well, Veronica!

"We are the Priests of the Temples of Syrinx ...". I devoured that album when it came out, admittedly. Much as I disliked Ms Rand's views - sorry, George! - I found it fascinating that a band would make a concept piece around one of her (lesser) books. Rush introduced me to Rand (which in Germany never had any standing either as a serious writer or philosopher, she's regarded as a libertarian nutcase).

LOL, as I'm writing this, my shuffle modus on the office hifi plays Rush's Subdivisions - Neil Peart is watching me! Exquisite bass playing though.

I was at one point a very avid fan of Rush, having seen them at least 5 times thru the early years of their success -  2112 remains my fave album from them, I lose interest in them after "Farewell to Kings". When I graduated High School in 1976 I managed to buy my first "real" bass - it had to be a black Rickenbacker 4001, mine was a N.O.S. '73 that I paid $880.00 for. I have to admit to trying to learn as much of 2112 as I could, I was still pretty new to the bass at that point, it was about as Prog as I could stand  8)
 For me, Geddy with anything other than a Rick isn't Rush as I best recall - One thing I remember distinctly in seeing them so many times was how well they sounded live not just that they could perform their complex music live - (a couple Aerosmith shows sure were disappointing!)

I've read "Atlas Shrugged" a couple times, my english teacher suggested I give it a go, Rand is rather dogmatic, but for me at the time, and still, I found it a good read.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2015, 08:23:58 AM »
That is her? I never knew!!! As the saying goes: There's prayers in old chapels too.

George is correct - Patricia Neal was only in the pilot - It was simply called "The Homecoming", and was actually a Christmas TV special, IIRC. "Miss" Michael Learned played Olivia Walton in the series.
I remember Patricia Neal most for this:
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2015, 10:09:04 AM »
Klaatu barada nikto.

This is a good thread, unconfined by the banalities of a bass type and mirroring effectively the eclectic interests of the members of this forum of fora.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:22:21 AM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2015, 10:21:56 AM »
"One thing I remember distinctly in seeing them so many times was how well they sounded live not just that they could perform their complex music live ...".

Absolutely, they are probably the leading, continuously working rock trio. Others might have been more inspirational (Jimi Hendrix Experience), more groundbreaking (Cream) and creators of a more original type of music (Police), but seeing Rush play together on stage even after all these decades, you cannot help but be impressed about their musicianly prowess and the intensity of how they work off each other. No one in this band really holds back or serves the other(s), but it's not a show of individual egos either, they become this bustling organism of driving instrumental collective might.  Ayn Rand wouldn't approve!  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:36:55 AM by uwe »

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2015, 11:55:15 AM »
No one in this band really holds back or serves the other(s), but it's not a show of individual egos either, they become this bustling organism of driving instrumental collective might.  Ayn Rand wouldn't approve!  :mrgreen:

There's no government or anyone else forcing them to do it, so I doubt she'd have a problem with it.  ;)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2015, 12:03:17 PM »
Absolutely, they are probably the leading, continuously working rock trio.

Hmm who else is even a contender?

For longevity, the only one that leaps to mind is  ZZ Top ... they've been going since 1969 and it's been the same three guys all along!
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2015, 04:28:51 PM »

For longevity, the only one that leaps to mind is  ZZ Top ... they've been going since 1969 and it's been the same three guys all along!

Three guys, and three chords  ;)

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2015, 09:05:58 AM »
There's no government or anyone else forcing them to do it, so I doubt she'd have a problem with it.  ;)

Ah, good to know, by that definition

collective +
might      +
no government force +
no one else forcing +

Ayn was a friend of labor unions! I'm beginning to reappreciate her.  8)   

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2015, 09:24:07 AM »
  I have already contacted a good friend of mine who knows Geddy quite well.  ;D A badbird is being sent to Geddy next week.  :mrgreen:
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2015, 09:26:52 AM »

ZZ Top is more of a household name even among people who do not listen to rock much, but they don't engender the type of fierce loyalty Rush does. Nobody hates ZZ Top, nobody obsessively collects them, they draw a smile of appreciation from basically anyone. And, in Germany at least, Rush miraculously now sell out larger halls than they did in the 70ies and 80ies - where do all those musicians come from?  :mrgreen: ZZ Top can still draw in Germany too, but more as a family event and not quite in Rush's league, which is surprising given how much more accessible ZZ Top is.

For some reason, I did not think of ZZ Top when I thought about working rock trios. Maybe because they are essentially a platorm for Billy Gibbons' guitar playing (though on some of the older stuff Frank Beard's drumming is decidedly proggish!) or maybe because of their cartoon image. But you're right, they should have been mentioned. I still think they never bettered Deguello.