Author Topic: Geddy Lee and his Thunderbird  (Read 24061 times)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: Geddy Lee and his Thunderbird
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 02:26:22 PM »
Yeah, the ladies love old B Adams hits too. That one and Cuts like a knife.  Maybe Run to You (which as a kid, I always thought was a Loverboy song for some unknown reason).  Nothing good after that; I blame his yank songwriting partner and commensurate anti CanCon (which y'all know/care nothing about) speech-making; forsaking of the Great White North generally.

But yeah, This Geddy guy, who's voice I can't stand, who's drummer is so fabulous and accessorised I expect him to have his own float in the pride parade, and guitarist whom I have no negative words for (and gained even more respect after guesting on a few episodes of Trailer Park Boys - a trick that didn't quite work so well for Sebastian Bach).

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2015, 04:14:20 PM »
Dave, you told your son to turn the (darn!) music down?  :-X Kings X and Rush make sense though as a combo. I can understand why if you like one of them, you would also like the other. I now have the most vivid images of "Closer to the Heart" blaring chez Westheimers and you tapping your foot (somewhat impatiently) to it!  :mrgreen:

Yes, Closer To The Heart was blaring about that time.

I wasn't aware Rush did anything you could tap your foot to, unless you like to tap your foot to odd time signatures.

nofi

• View Profile
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2015, 11:30:26 PM »
So sayeth Geddy:

GC: What factors come into play when choosing which bass to play?
Lee: Mostly I'm always wanting to use my number one, my old Fender. There are some songs on which we use some dropped D tunings and things like that, so I'll switch to another Fender. I've got some great basses that Fender Custom Shop made for me that are also really good sounding Jazz models. A lot of the older songs that people think I was using the Rick, I was using my Fender. Like "Tom Sawyer" for example is the one song people always ask me, "How come you don't use the Rick for 'Tom Sawyer'?" I never used the Rick on it actually.
GC: Was that about the time you switched back to the Jazz?
Lee: I was using both on that album. Like a song like "Red Barchetta" is pure Rick and "Tom Sawyer" was Fender. That's when I started realizing that the Fender was capable of giving me similar sound but a better bottom end. That was the main reason for changing from a Rick. I would run a separate setup for the top end and the bottom end. It really required a lot of playing around with the right kind of compressors, the right kind of a cue, to get the sound punchy enough in the bottom end. When I tried to do that with the Fender I found it's just a lot easier to reproduce a Ricky-like top end and keep the great punchy Fender bottom end.
GC: More recently though you've used some different basses?
Lee: Yeah, but I got a little tired of it and went back to the Fender.

.... On the other hand, Geddy probably didn't spend the early 80s glued to MTV, so he didn't have this live vid indelibly etched on his brain, forever equating TOM SAWYER = RICKENBACKER:

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 06:58:05 AM »
His voice is an acquired taste and Rush aren't the Beatles songwritingwise, but he's a fine bass player with his own inimitable style and seems to be a nice enough person to boot. As unfashionable as Rush have been for most of their career, I applaud the loyalty they have engendered with their fan base through thick and thin. Plus: Which other band delivers ballsy rand'n'(11/8)roll as wholeheartedly as they do?

And the nerds shall inherit the earth.  :mrgreen:

I'll now withdraw to my temple of syringes - it's where I am priest!

PS: I remember an interview where he said that getting his old Ric to sound well was hard work and that the bass part of his Ric doubleneck actually sounded best "no doubt for all the additional wood". Plus how he grew tired of the aggressive Ric gnarl as Rush's music became more hifi'ish from album to album.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 07:18:06 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 07:44:22 AM »
Yeah, the ladies love old B Adams hits too. That one and Cuts like a knife.  Maybe Run to You (which as a kid, I always thought was a Loverboy song for some unknown reason).  Nothing good after that; I blame his yank songwriting partner and commensurate anti CanCon (which y'all know/care nothing about) speech-making; forsaking of the Great White North generally.

But yeah, This Geddy guy, who's voice I can't stand, who's drummer is so fabulous and accessorised I expect him to have his own float in the pride parade, and guitarist whom I have no negative words for (and gained even more respect after guesting on a few episodes of Trailer Park Boys - a trick that didn't quite work so well for Sebastian Bach).

The former singer of my band is Bubbles cousin.  He plays the Don/Donna character in the new TPB season.  We played the season 8 wrap up party....a good time.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 07:52:25 AM »
The former singer of my band is Bubbles cousin.  He plays the Don/Donna character in the new TPB season.  We played the season 8 wrap up party....a good time.

OMG that's hilarious; that story arc was pretty good and I liked that character.  Musta been a fun wrap.

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2015, 10:22:27 AM »

Geddy contacted the former owner of my '65 Ric 4005 BlueBoy, interested in it back around when I scored it.

I wonder how many guys jack up the price on name players when they sell to them ?
That must be the sucky part but I guess the trade off of being able to get big companies to build you anything you want.

I've bought/sold to a number of name guys but never changed the price. But I have heard of some dealers doing it.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2015, 10:35:32 AM »
Not sure if you can see these..

2nd one works.  Neat!

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2015, 12:58:25 PM »
I wasn't aware Rush did anything you could tap your foot to, unless you like to tap your foot to odd time signatures.
Yes, that's the one that used to be a P-Bass...
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2015, 02:55:11 PM »
And the nerds shall inherit the earth.  :mrgreen:

I'll now withdraw to my temple of syringes - it's where I am priest!

Lol Uwe!    How do come up with stuff?!  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2015, 03:53:02 PM »
You know your Rush stuff all too well, Veronica!

"We are the Priests of the Temples of Syrinx ...". I devoured that album when it came out, admittedly. Much as I disliked Ms Rand's views - sorry, George! - I found it fascinating that a band would make a concept piece around one of her (lesser) books. Rush introduced me to Rand (which in Germany never had any standing either as a serious writer or philosopher, she's regarded as a libertarian nutcase).

LOL, as I'm writing this, my shuffle modus on the office hifi plays Rush's Subdivisions - Neil Peart is watching me! Exquisite bass playing though.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2015, 05:05:31 PM »
The local classic rock station was spinning Rush on it's "classic record sides" segment last night on my drive home from the studio.  I thought of you lot and endured it all the way home.  The track without vocals was not even that objectionable.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2015, 05:21:36 PM »
Much as I disliked Ms Rand's views - sorry, George! -

I was more apt to make fun of your linking a photo of a 100th anniversary edition when referring to a first. I only have first editions of The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged, but I was tempted to post a photo of one of them; alas, I'm too busy today.  :mrgreen: