Author Topic: Geddy Lee and his Thunderbird  (Read 24045 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Geddy Lee and his Thunderbird
« on: January 19, 2015, 03:12:34 PM »
Word on the street is Mr. Lee has been collecting basses as of late. I know he's an avid collector of wine and baseball memorabilia. I guess it was just a matter of time. I have another shot somewhere where you can see 2 rev-birds, and 2 Ampeg devil basses hanging on the wall behind him.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10920927_1536096013321418_8723984563518989633_n.jpg?oh=7550d2cfffb95f437e5381093f6bd8ef&oe=55601455&__gda__=1432461631_1025e2db1a5b1269638532847a2a24ab

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Geddy Lee and his Thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 03:26:31 PM »
Goodness gracious me...!
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 08:12:23 PM »
It would be interesting to see what he has collected over the years.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 10:10:30 PM »
That one's a surprise!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 03:16:29 AM »
He bought the nonrev in a shop in Holland. I know the owner quite well. It was in that shop for years for an awfull lot of money.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 06:49:21 AM »
Wait till he finds out it doesn't properly intonate! Scott to the rescue - maybe he'll give you one of his old kimonos in exchange for a Badbird Bridge!

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 06:56:07 AM »
That one's a surprise!

Dave knows who Geddy Lee is, gulp. I'll spend the day having to come to grips with this discovery. We live in uncertain times.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 07:04:02 AM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 07:03:12 AM »
It would be interesting to see what he has collected over the years.

Antiquarian Ayn Rand 1st publications of course!!!  :mrgreen:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 08:53:31 AM »
Dave knows who Geddy Lee is, gulp. I'll spend the day having to come to grips with this discovery. We live in uncertain times.

When Keith was in high school, Kings X and Rush were the only bands he liked that I didn't tell him to turn the volume down. Not my kind of music but at least it wasn't Megadeth.

Much later, he had a Geddy J Bass. I had it at my house when he was in S. Korea for a year. Skinny neck and skinnier tone. He sold it not long after he got back.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 10:05:14 AM »
Wait till he finds out it doesn't properly intonate! Scott to the rescue - maybe he'll give you one of his old kimonos in exchange for a Badbird Bridge!

This was when Geddy sounded good live........ Since then, no.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 10:16:27 AM »
When Keith was in high school, Kings X and Rush were the only bands he liked that I didn't tell him to turn the volume down. Not my kind of music but at least it wasn't Megadeth.

Much later, he had a Geddy J Bass. I had it at my house when he was in S. Korea for a year. Skinny neck and skinnier tone. He sold it not long after he got back.

Dave, you told your son to turn the (darn!) music down?  :-X Kings X and Rush make sense though as a combo. I can understand why if you like one of them, you would also like the other. I now have the most vivid images of "Closer to the Heart" blaring chez Westheimers and you tapping your foot (somewhat impatiently) to it!  :mrgreen:

PS: I just noticed three girls  :o :o :o in the audience front row of that Rush vid around 4:33. They must have paid them or perhaps they are their daughters? There are eternal truths in this world. One of them is that women don't like Rush.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 10:29:58 AM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 10:21:35 AM »

This was when Geddy sounded good live........ Since then, no.

I think people get carried away with that. Geddy is Geddy, no matter what he plays. Yes, I preferred the Ric too, but the JB today is not too far away in sound. The Steinberger was (or sounded) heavily processed. I probably liked his Wal sound best, it fitted the music they were making at that point of their career. But the Ric certainly looked best on him. It's just the best-looking bass of the whole bunch. Even beats a Gibson TB Non-Rev in my book. And just about par with a TB Rev.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 11:35:28 AM »

Rcikenbacker = Rush.

At least the Rush I like to listen to  ;D

I really wish he'd play a reissue NR for a tour........... Can you imagine all the fanbois crapping all over themselves to get one  :P
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 01:18:12 PM »

PS: I just noticed three girls  :o :o :o in the audience front row of that Rush vid around 4:33. They must have paid them or perhaps they are their daughters? There are eternal truths in this world. One of them is that women don't like Rush.

LOL.... as true as this is, there is an exception:  YYZ gals (Canadians generally).  ... you really weren't looking around too closely that time you visited, eh  :P  2112 shirts everywhere.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 01:32:35 PM »
I always thought 2112 was some Cannuck encryption for 69 ... It starts with the cross total after all. And then you just add three for the next tell-ta(i)l(e) digit - just like those three minutes into the vid where this gifted countryman songsmith of yours and cunning linguist of innuendo sings "me and my baby in a 69".

Which is real bad English, even for a Cannuck, if you are singing about the year. Or a cuntspiracy even. Herr Adams, a scorpio born '59, was 9 years old "in the summer of (19)69", very early band founder then.  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 01:44:52 PM by uwe »