Gear Discussion Forums > Bill's Shop: Projects, Mods & Repairs

A replacement pickup for an Ibanez Roadster RS-900

(1/5) > >>

Pekka:
I've been thinking of trying a new pickup for my RS-900. Are there any drop-in replacements available? A passive model, preferably a humbucker. The stock pickup sounds good (the preamp is bypassed) but I'd like to try something a bit darker and powerful. Closer to Aria SB perhaps (which has approx. the same pickup location and a humbucker).

I found one that should fit:
http://www.bartolini.net/product/bb4cbc-t/

Any others?

Granny Gremlin:
An old friend had the guitar version - looked distinctly metalier (black with floyd rose and pointier headstock).  Love the finish colour on yours

Looks like any soap-bar style thing will fit.... including 90s style TB Plus (someone around here can easily provide measurements).

dadagoboi:
Not a fan of Barts, low end too muddy for me.

How long ago did you disconnect the pre?  Maybe give it another shot to see if it's improved with age ;)

patman:
I had that exact bass 30 years ago...it was the punchiest bass I ever had...I liked the preamp...everything about it 'cept the fact that you didn't have a bypass switch...

It was brutally clear and punchy...I wouldn't change a thing except maybe re-connect the preamp

Pekka:

--- Quote from: dadagoboi on January 17, 2015, 07:28:35 AM ---Not a fan of Barts, low end too muddy for me.

How long ago did you disconnect the pre?  Maybe give it another shot to see if it's improved with age ;)

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the Bart info, never tried those.

I've had the bass since 2012 and the preamp was disconnected quite soon after that. Mainly because I generally don't like any of my basses having a batteries and as the pickup is the same as on the passive RS800 I figured it would work without the preamp (it does). I also recall that there was some oddity on the bass control; when turned all the way up the output level dropped a bit.

Does anybody have schematics for the preamp? I might try connecting it back. Anyway, I won't do anything that prevents me changing it back to original. It's a great bass, enough Stingray for me. A bit heavy 'though. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version