Author Topic: Danelectro Rumor?  (Read 3692 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
Danelectro Rumor?
« on: January 15, 2015, 03:42:41 PM »
I found this in a local pawn shop today for $99:

Danelectro P-bass (MIK) with a nut width more akin to a Jazz than a P.

What caught my eye was that the bass has two Output jacks - one is Passive and the other is Active/Effects.
There is a switch (button) in the pickguard for the Active side that activates a Chorus mode.

It weighs almost nothing. Has some crazy sparkle-flake over Redburst finish, and is pretty retro looking.

Actually, I also walked out of there with a beautiful ESP LTD B-254 with EMG HZ's.
ESP Tuners and bridge and it's a neat little bass. I know not everyone is a fan, but I happen to really like the HZ's.

Not a bad pop-in - I got 2 basses and a Fender gig bag for <$200.

Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Danelectro Rumor?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 04:03:27 PM »
Envious here!!

LOVE that Dano - it ought to be a blast to play.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 05:07:19 PM »
I like the EMG HZ's...I am envious

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 06:06:39 AM »
I've always wanted a Dano (the Hodad especially; I think longhorns look awkward on everybody), but it was never top of the list, and they're all long scale.  Good score.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 07:50:54 AM »
Great score!! I have always wanted one of the Hodad's as well. I tried a couple of the Rumor's and liked them but never pulled the trigger. I'd hit it for $100!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 07:03:55 PM »
Well, it's going on stage tonight - while I'm at work.
My son now plays bass for a local Sabbath tribute band (first gig with them is tonight) and he just text'd me and said he grabbed it to play a song or two at the end of their set. A '91 Peavey Sarzo and a Dano Rumor...what a combination.

Ironically, this tribute band (Bloody Sabbath) called me in December asking me if I'd join them to play bass.  Since I work 13 hr. shifts on weekend nights, that is nearly impossible to pull off.  2 days later, my son says "hey dad, guess who called me..."
I kid him about being their 2nd choice (but he's a waaaay better bassist).

Steve
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 05:23:52 AM »
Nice story... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 08:05:21 AM »
Cool!
I'm a big fan of $99 Danelectros!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 10:27:50 AM »
I've always wanted a Dano (the Hodad especially; I think longhorns look awkward on everybody), but it was never top of the list, and they're all long scale.  Good score.

I've long thought that a Hodad would be fun to try. 

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 08:26:46 AM »
I had one of those P basses with built-in ch aorus... great bass!  I only sold mine to buy a silver flake DC bass, which is another one to snap up if you see it at a low price ... similar neck to the one you got, doublecut body shape, lipstick pickups.  Absolutely needs strap button replacement though, I had to pull out the plastic useless ones that kept falling out and glue in wooden dowels instead to have something to screw some decent ones on to.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy