Author Topic: Is That Uwe's Heart I Hear Beating?  (Read 2536 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Is That Uwe's Heart I Hear Beating?
« on: December 10, 2014, 02:37:00 PM »
Ex Rainbow singer Joe says axe icon Ritchie “deserves to go out in big blaze of glory” - and aims to get results from meeting this month

Joe Lynn Turner claims former bandmate Ritchie Blackmore wants to return to rock music – and says the guitarist deserves the acclaim that’s waiting for him if he does. ...

Now the singer tells Rockin’ Metal Revival: “I’ve been in touch with Ritchie’s camp. Hopefully we’ll get something a little bit further in the talks in December. Now is the time – 2015. Everybody’s sitting there waiting for this to happen.”

Turner reports he’s had positive reactions from industry bodies including Live Nation and Universal Music Group and adds: “All we need is the nod from Richie to say, ‘I’m ready to of it.’”

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2014-12-10/rainbow-richie-blackmore-wants-to-rock-again

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Is That Uwe's Heart I Hear Beating?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 08:57:33 PM »
He's probably already bought tickets for the whole tour even though it hasn't been put together yet.  ;)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 12:49:38 AM »
He's probably a significant sponsor, or representing them...

There will be significant interest in the carpet manufacturing community too...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 04:56:01 AM »
 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I take yearly pilgrimages to Blackmore's Night gigs hoping for those two or three tracks he will sometimes (not always) drag out the Strat and play a lenghthy rock number with a gorgeous solo. I get incontinent then.

Ritchie and Joelene is not my most favorite Rainbow incarnation, but they had their moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGzIq8sEcz4

Turner is a good singer, it's just his demeanor that is embarrassing.

Does Blackers yearn for rock? I'm not sure, he's been going with Blackmore's Night for almost 20 years now and the rock component in their music is diminsihing rather than growing, yet he seems happy with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrDwWTg2Dg0

Even his guitar playing has changed, he doesn't bend notes anymore because he says that wasn't done with renaissance music, his embellishments are mostly trills now.

But, yeah, I'd queue up for that gig, no doubt. Thanks for posting, George.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 09:01:00 AM »

We didn't even discuss Herr Blackmore during your visit!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 09:15:34 AM »
Vielleicht das nächste Mal ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw2GEpyGv9I

You know how I envy you for seeing Mark III.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 09:21:11 AM by uwe »

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 09:26:05 AM »
I would bet he cranks up a Marshall in the dungeon every now and then when Candice is out broom shopping.  8)

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 09:43:47 AM »

It was a good show! Esp. since Elf opened followed by ELO.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 09:49:50 AM »
You and him have soooo much in common!

That is something that just wouldn't happen today anymore: A rhythm and blues band like Elf, a pop band like ELO and a heavy rock juggernaut like DP on the same bill. ELO were met with derision for a while, not all of it entirely undeserved ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m1UWSD-FaA

but I always liked Jeff Lynne's songwriting. These days they are finally getting reappreciated. Lynne's work with Harrison, Petty and Dylan both separately and in the Travelling Wilburys did wonders for his credibility.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 09:59:10 AM by uwe »

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 10:14:33 AM »
I would bet he cranks up a Marshall in the dungeon every now and then when Candice is out broom shopping.  8)

This made me laugh...

I'm not so sure this isn't just Jolene looking to get mentioned in the papers again, but when I saw it I immediately thought of you, Uwe. If they do it I hope you get good seats at multiple shows (as I did with KISS in 96/97).

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 10:30:58 AM »
She has the ways of a woman to contain him: I remember concerts where he took too long solos (after having a few ...) and she would first place her hands on her hips, elbows out, then point to her watch and finally proceed to sweep the stage with a broom while he soloed. Within Deep Purple that would have been met by a death stare followed by a temper "I'm leaving the band" tantrum after the gig, but love is a beautiful thing ...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 10:32:09 AM »
You and him have soooo much in common!

That is something that just wouldn't happen today anymore: A rhythm and blues band like Elf, a pop band like ELO and a heavy rock juggernaut like DP on the same bill. ELO were met with derision for a while, not all of it entirely undeserved ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m1UWSD-FaA

but I always liked Jeff Lynne's songwriting. These days they are finally getting reappreciated. Lynne's work with Harrison, Petty and Dylan both separately and in the Travelling Wilburys did wonders for his credibility.

I have cuter undies......................

But all props, he was quite entertaining - with the destruction of a cheap Strat and the splitting of his tight black flare legged pants.......
I remember reading a lot of quotes from him in Creem and Hit Parader along with the liner notes in "Who do we think we are" and thinking he was rather full of himself in regards to his abilities, but he did indeed have the chops  :)
What disappointed me at the time was the lack of Roger Glover, as I was quite a fan of him.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 10:48:34 AM »
Yup, he was no shrinking violet as a younger man. He was dismissive of Eric Clapton and Alvin Lee, The Rolling Stones, Jimmy Page, Saxon, Krokus, AC/DC, Southern Rock bands in general, Yes, Hendrix' technical skills (though he admired him for "everything else"). Other people found grace: Tommy Bolin, Steve Morse (no badmouthing of his DP replacements ever), Scorpions, Wishbone Ash, Albert Lee and a lot of other Nashville players, Carmen, Judas Priest, Jethro Tull/Ian Anderson/Martin Barre, The Beatles, Blondie, Neil Diamond, Abba, John Bonham ...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 04:45:01 PM »
Never heard Blackmore's Night...that was pretty spectacular.  I will check this out more.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 04:25:05 PM »
Blackmore's Night has brilliant musical moments and just as many incidents/accidents of unbelievable corniness, stuff where you close your eyes during a concert and wish you weren't there. I can only take it in small doses and with copious pinches of salt. Mind you, I was never a raging Rainbow fan either, it is with Deep Purple where my loyalties lie. It's never good when Blackmore has too much control of things (and he is a control freak). Some of his best work came about when he felt stifled by the other DP members. This solo here (2:19 to 3:09), Stormbringer era, was played at the mixing desk with a screwdriver, Blackmore couldn't be bothered to go find a pick for a song he hated (and hadn't cowritten) and refused a second take. It ranks among DP diehards as one of his best studio solos ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT0OMkk4Hkg