Author Topic: '76 EB3 in my sights  (Read 6572 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: '76 EB3 in my sights
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2014, 12:04:27 PM »
Silver numbers, guess they are repros, no biggie. ;)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2014, 01:33:40 PM »
no biggie. ;)

No biggie to grind down the skirts and paint the lettering, you mean?  :)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2014, 08:16:41 AM »
 Got some pictures this AM. I installed two original witch hats, I need two more a Vol. and Tone I'd be grateful if anyone has a set they can part with. Also installed two Gibson strap buttons. This bass is very clean the usual nicks and some buckle rash but man the thing is really shinny! Super low action thanks to the three point bridge, quite possibly the lowest I have experienced on any era EB3. Virtually no string break across the saddles, maybe a degree or 2. All in all I am super happy with this purchase. Defiantly the bass I was after in the summer of '75!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 08:54:33 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2014, 09:02:35 AM »
Congrats on the great new addition! My EB-4L is the only bass I have from that series, but I dug it a ton more than I thought I would..........

I don't know whether or not the EB-0L and -3L were in the 1973 or 1974 catalogs, Jules doesn't have scans of those. But I have definitely seen and played an EB3-L that was said to be a 1974, and the serial number was in the series used from 1973 to 1975.
From the '72 "Bass Place" catalog..........

From the '74/'75 catalog with Peter Cetera on the cover.............

I've never seen anything published between these two catalogs..............  :-\
It is still listed in the June1, 1976 price guide, but only as an EB-3. It's listed as short scale..........
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 09:15:53 AM by Grog »
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2014, 03:10:04 PM »
For some reason, I always think of the ones that look like this as '73's...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2014, 09:40:34 PM »
Nice looker, Scott. I'm always a little leery of older Gibsons you can't examine in person when the price is lower than usual. I'm glad this one turned out to be a winner.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2014, 09:12:35 AM »
  The seller was Jackson Music in Grand Island NY. I was able to return it if it had a major problem like a busted truss rod. They sent me lots of pics and we talked on the phone so I was pretty confident in buying it.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2014, 09:15:30 AM »
  Easily one of the nicest playing EB3 I have ever owned, I hate to admit it but the three point is a big improvement over the Evertilt. The saddles are very low and notched (factory) The action is super low. I can't wait to try through my Hiwatt!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2014, 09:32:10 AM »
I'm curious now - When did the 3 point first appear, and on what bass?

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2014, 10:19:58 AM »
73 (some say 72, but pot codes can be innaccurate due to old stock).  EB series (EB2 was disco'd in 72) and Triumph (first year of release was 72).  Some early Triumphs had a 2 point; never seen an EB2 with a 3 point. G series basses didn't start shipping til later with the exception of the Ripper which may have had a few go out in late 73.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 10:43:11 AM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2014, 03:40:38 PM »
My favourite era EB-3s! I have a 76 one with see-thru decal serial number and Made in the USA. On those, you could actually use the varitone without totally readjusting your amp. Compared to these, the early sixties ones are octave-lowered guitars (which is of course their charm to a lot of people).

Congrats, Scott! Are you planning to do something intrusive about better high register access?  :-X
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2014, 07:51:39 AM »
 I pretty satisfied with the upper register access ;) So I will be leaving this alone. The thing is a beast no mistaking it for a guitar, it must easily weigh 9.5- 10 lbs. The body is one big beautiful iece of mahogany. The varitone has some very usable tones, I like 2 and 3 the best.