Author Topic: Alice Cooper doc on TV  (Read 2156 times)

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
Alice Cooper doc on TV
« on: November 11, 2014, 08:33:54 PM »
There is a documentary (?) about Alice Cooper - "Super Duper Alice Cooper" - on VH1 classic tonight. I think it's new - looks like it will have archival footage. Just a heads-up! Looks like it will play again over the next couple of days if you missed it.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Cooper doc on TV
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 09:09:19 PM »
Cool. Thanks! I'll get it on DVR.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 02:39:39 AM »
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 02:56:47 AM by dadagoboi »

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 09:01:15 AM »
I've been waiting for this. Didn't know it was going to be on TV. I'll check my guide for repeats!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7sko59GRAk

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 12:30:06 AM »
Watching now - it's really good! I'm not even that big an Alice Cooper fan but really enjoying it. Dennis Dunaway playing one of those what I believe is an Airline Pocket bass in the early days.

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 07:32:23 AM »
DVR'ed it, gonna watch this weekend after I get home from a gig.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 01:00:33 PM »
They're airing that and something else from Alice Cooper on Palladia 11/29.  Just got a glimpse of the commercial.
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 08:18:03 AM »
They're airing that and something else from Alice Cooper on Palladia 11/29.  Just got a glimpse of the commercial.

Cool!  I will have to watch this one. 

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 03:34:57 PM »
Just found more detailed info:  (I'm not really trying to promote Palladia, although I guess it might look like it.)

Palladia's Classic Thanksgiving Weekend
THURSDAY 11/27 through SUNDAY 11/30 -- Celebrate Thanksgiving with Palladia! We're bringing you 4 full days of nothing but concerts & docs from your favorite classic artists. Featuring 4 EPIC premieres including Eric Clapton: Trains, Planes and Eric on Thursday 11/27 at 8pm; Pretenders Live in London on Friday 11/28 at 8pm. Then back-to-back premieres of Super Duper Alice Cooper & Alice Cooper's Night of Fear on Saturday 11/29 starting at 8pm.
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 07:17:31 PM »
Just found more detailed info:  (I'm not really trying to promote Palladia, although I guess it might look like it.)

Palladia's Classic Thanksgiving Weekend
THURSDAY 11/27 through SUNDAY 11/30 -- Celebrate Thanksgiving with Palladia! We're bringing you 4 full days of nothing but concerts & docs from your favorite classic artists. Featuring 4 EPIC premieres including Eric Clapton: Trains, Planes and Eric on Thursday 11/27 at 8pm; Pretenders Live in London on Friday 11/28 at 8pm. Then back-to-back premieres of Super Duper Alice Cooper & Alice Cooper's Night of Fear on Saturday 11/29 starting at 8pm.

I don't get Palladia, so I try and catch things like this on VH1 Classic - they play some good stuff though it's not HD. HOWEVER, AT&T U-Verse sometimes gives access to the paid channels like HBO over Thanksgiving Weekend so I make sure to try and record stuff I want to watch - I have watched Palladia that way before but not sure if it will be included this year.

The Super Duper Alice Cooper thing is definitely worth watching though - nice treatment of the early years, they don't go as heavy into the later years as the VH1 "Behind the Music" did, and they touch on the relationship between Alice & Dennis Dunaway.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 08:35:54 PM »
I don't get Palladia, so I try and catch things like this on VH1 Classic - they play some good stuff though it's not HD. HOWEVER, AT&T U-Verse sometimes gives access to the paid channels like HBO over Thanksgiving Weekend so I make sure to try and record stuff I want to watch - I have watched Palladia that way before but not sure if it will be included this year.

The Super Duper Alice Cooper thing is definitely worth watching though - nice treatment of the early years, they don't go as heavy into the later years as the VH1 "Behind the Music" did, and they touch on the relationship between Alice & Dennis Dunaway.

I haven't been able to get Palladia for all that long myself.  Once I got it, though, I was somewhat surprised how much they had that I liked. 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 12:07:44 AM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 08:39:33 PM »
I caught it tonight.  Nicely done!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 04:42:59 AM »
For those who have seen it, there is a film clip at about the 45 minute mark about his stay in the mental hospital.  That is the film they used on the Madhouse Rock tour that I saw.  At the end of the clip, you see Alice holding one of those old movie ball bombs.  In the concert, a movie screen with slits came up on the stage.  At the precise moment of that clip, the movie shows Alice running towards the camera, and then the real Alice popped out through the screen, holding the bomb.  His image was no longer in the clip.  The movie and live action were so perfectly timed that it looked almost real.  Alice, and the bomb, were bounced between stage and film in perfect rhythm.  It was the best theatrical concert moment I've ever seen.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 11:45:55 AM »
He did something similar on the WTMN tour - the graveyard section where he smashes the neon tombstone - they had dancers jumping in and out of the screen too - the video's the same gig I was at in London... Escape...? and part of Steven...? I'd have to watch the tape to make sure... I just realised, that was 39 years ago... :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...