Author Topic: Death of the Badbird  (Read 3380 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Death of the Badbird
« on: November 07, 2014, 08:48:45 AM »
  I'm f***ed, no way I can compete with this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thunderbird-Bass-Bridge-and-Tailpiece-Set-1963-1969-Chrome-/121479626823?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1c48c00047. Seriously I've about had it with suppliers. The shop that does my pgs ruined my last batch that amounted to 7k of product. I can't get my supplier to move fast enough for the BB II and now this. I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 09:39:40 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Death of the Badbird
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 11:21:45 AM »
I figured you wouldn't be happy about this ...
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 02:22:13 PM »
No good idea is ever safe from thieves.  I hope they don't sell.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 02:49:31 PM »
 on the plus side it doesn't look like it has enough travel to intonate the G string.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 03:25:37 PM »
No good idea is ever safe from thieves.  I hope they don't sell.

+1
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 03:40:05 PM »
Oh bugger... :sad:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 09:28:42 PM »
I'm sorry to hear this, but I certainly wouldn't call it thievery. It was Scott's business idea, and a good one at that. But the bridge was designed by Gibson. Just as there are all kinds of tune-o-matic copies, some with modifications, you can't really stop someone else from marketing a copy.

It's especially tough to be competitive with small production runs unless you own the production shop or are going overseas to have it done.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 02:39:25 PM »
  It was a good run and better idea. I thank everyone who bought one or had good things to say about it. If they own the shop or go off shore it makes it impossible for me. My supplier has 53 units left I don't have the capitol to bring them home. Hopefully at some point I will. The Badbird II is dead in the water, I just don't feel like dealing with it.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 07:26:31 PM »
Your bridge if different and serves a purpose... This one is Nowhere near a vintage t Bird bridge.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 06:37:14 AM »
I'm sorry to hear this, but I certainly wouldn't call it thievery. It was Scott's business idea, and a good one at that. But the bridge was designed by Gibson. Just as there are all kinds of tune-o-matic copies, some with modifications, you can't really stop someone else from marketing a copy.

It's especially tough to be competitive with small production runs unless you own the production shop or are going overseas to have it done.

My comment was partly in jest as I too have taken some ideas from other bass builders and "improved" or modified them.  It happens.  I was defending Scott's honor and still think his version is the best I've seen yet.  It's all about having the capital to bring it to market.  If you don't, someone else will if there's any merit in it at all.  I understand that.  I'm just being over protective of a friend!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 11:55:10 AM »
I'll always cherish the five from you I have on my basses (Rev II, Rev IV, NR II, NR IV & Embassy). They have always gotten compliments from luthiers too.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 12:34:46 PM »

Still the best one Scott, glad there's one at my house!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 08:32:17 PM »
Scott's IS the only one for Vintage T birds.....I have no idea what that Philadelphia luthier guy is trying to do... his covers are off as well....the radius on the top edges should be flatter...and the radius on the side edges are more closer to a 70's T bird...