Author Topic: I'm back...  (Read 4927 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
I'm back...
« on: November 05, 2014, 02:44:09 PM »
Well, after considering another RIC and looking at the neck issue (thanks to everyone here who gave me pointers on vintage and contemporary 4003/1 necks), I decided I still wanted one in my collection.  So, while at the HOG today I asked what they had and low and behold, they had a FireGlo and JetGlo.  I decided what the heck, I do miss my first RIC, a Fireglo.  So, here she is.  And, very beautiful with the walnut wings on the headstock and the dark/light streaks on the fret board.  Very cool bass.  While the neck is still a little bit much for me, the electronics on RICs are fantastic IMHO.

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: I'm back...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 02:46:22 PM »
It's a beaut, for sure.  I'm with you re the necks - can't stand them either (good thing cause they're not cheap).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 02:56:21 PM »
B E A Utiful... 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 03:22:15 PM »
It's a beaut, for sure.  I'm with you re the necks - can't stand them either (good thing cause they're not cheap).

Wel, I think the neck on this one seems a little thinner, which works for me.  I just have a little issue with too much width at the nut.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 05:55:50 PM »
B E A Utiful... 8)

Yeah, it's a classic for sure.  We'll see how it goes.  You can't beat the styling, it's so unique.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 06:12:21 AM »
Congrats! Classic looks, I'm sure it sounds killer too.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 08:18:57 AM »
Congrats! Classic looks, I'm sure it sounds killer too.

For sure!  My first RIC was a FG and I always wanted another.  I'd love a white one, too!  Like I said, I can't be too much of a wuss over the neck size.  I can play it, I just have to reach and be more flexible.  Besides, everyone should have at least one RIC, right?

i can't wait to see how she sounds with my Mesa rig next week at practice.  The pups on these basses are really good IMHO.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 08:34:40 AM by drbassman »

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 10:06:05 AM »
Beauty! Nice choice. I've heard they went back to a slimmer neck around 2011(?), but I haven't played a new one in years. Always blows my mind when I see people talking about Ric necks being chunky. They were always known for slim necks when I was growing up. My newest is a '93, and all three have super sexy necks, even the 8 string. I guess if you're into 'birds and Jazz basses, you might not like the feel in first position. But what I really like is that there's not much taper going up the neck, unlike a Fender, which ends up at what, 2-1/2'' at the heel?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 10:42:37 AM »
Beauty! Nice choice. I've heard they went back to a slimmer neck around 2011(?), but I haven't played a new one in years. Always blows my mind when I see people talking about Ric necks being chunky. They were always known for slim necks when I was growing up. My newest is a '93, and all three have super sexy necks, even the 8 string. I guess if you're into 'birds and Jazz basses, you might not like the feel in first position. But what I really like is that there's not much taper going up the neck, unlike a Fender, which ends up at what, 2-1/2'' at the heel?

Good points about the necks.  I think the thickness of the neck is just right.  The width being pretty consistent nut to heel is probably what a lot of j,p or TB bass players have to adjust to.  It is unique among bass necks I think.  I like the bass enough, I'll adapt and enjoy it.  There was a time that I gigged with my first RIC regularly.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 12:33:27 PM »
Bass looks GREAT in your photos! Love the gloss - hey, isn't that what the "glo" stands for?  :mrgreen:

I personally like the necks - I notice that they are different (most notably at the nut) but never to the point of impairing playability. But I know that differences like that are more or less problematic depending on the player. I wonder if where the bass sits in relation to the body is an important factor?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 05:52:27 AM »
Bass looks GREAT in your photos! Love the gloss - hey, isn't that what the "glo" stands for?  :mrgreen:

I personally like the necks - I notice that they are different (most notably at the nut) but never to the point of impairing playability. But I know that differences like that are more or less problematic depending on the player. I wonder if where the bass sits in relation to the body is an important factor?

I agree that the consistent width on the RIC is nice.  I always have a challenge with the upper register on my j bass.  I think like many things, you just have to get used to things and that takes practice.  As for a RIC, it hangs perfectly for me and reaching the first fret has not been an issue or struggle.  Like I said, I feel this neck is thinner and that helps a lot.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 01:30:11 PM »
The neck has also always been an issue to me as well. Wondered if I ever played one consistently for a period of days and weeks, might adjust to it. However Rickenbacker apparantly have a policy (this is what GC told me)that when you take it home it is yours and  no 15-30 try outs like a lot of other companies. The 4001S was attractive and I did have the trade bait to afford it but somehow could not pull the trigger on one.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 01:51:26 PM »
The neck has also always been an issue to me as well. Wondered if I ever played one consistently for a period of days and weeks, might adjust to it. However Rickenbacker apparantly have a policy (this is what GC told me)that when you take it home it is yours and  no 15-30 try outs like a lot of other companies. The 4001S was attractive and I did have the trade bait to afford it but somehow could not pull the trigger on one.

Fortunately,  I can return anything just about anytime within reason if I'm not happy with it.  The HOG takes great care of me!   :toast:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 10:12:21 PM »

Rickenbacker's past problem with GC was that they were taking instruments back within the trial period and reselling them as new with factory warranty. RIC doesn't allow that. There's no reason a store couldn't take one back and resell it as used, though.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 05:25:23 PM »
That is one pretty bass.  Congrats on the new toy!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."