Author Topic: Any interest in a 60's spec Thunderbird ?  (Read 10945 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: Any interest in a 60's spec Thunderbird ?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 12:36:29 PM »
I would go for this except for the fact that $3500 for a bass is way out of my price range. So I would support it wholeheartedly knowing I couldn't get one.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 07:55:39 PM »
A TB II in custom colours and with nickel would be attractive, whether it be rev or NR.  A 60's spec TB IV in burst would not sell many units in my opinion, whether nickel or not, because as far as the general market is concerned it would be just another TB.

Agreed. Even if it were only offered in one color, it would need to be other than sunburst.

I can't see Gibson doing another NR, though.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 04:58:07 AM »
That wasn't a smash seller to put it mildly. I always said those things are ugly ducklings elevated to cult status via nostalgy impairing eyesight.  :P
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 06:42:34 AM »
I may have a penchant for quirkiness, all mt birds are NR. I pre-ordered one of the 2013 models when I first heard about them here. When it arrived I was very disappointed. The 3 point and black hardware didn't bother me, the thick body and neck did though. The smaller headstock I could live with, but why paint it black on the blue birds?

I am not confident that Gibson could do a NR better that Bach did on the second series, but after that their bodies got thicker too. What's up with that?

There is only one bass I regret selling and that is the blue Bach that I sold to make room for the Gibson, which I gigged exactly one time.

Last weekend while trying to decide which bass to play I plucked them all unplugged. The 60's NR sang like none of the rest. Maybe there is something  in the wood.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2014, 06:54:18 AM »
I always said those things are ugly ducklings elevated to cult status via nostalgy impairing eyesight.  :P

Great, let's settle for that EB3 reissue then! With an optional polaris white or pelham blue finnish!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2014, 07:29:21 AM »
My old Birds sing more than the new stuff too if you play them unplugged. But the question of course is: No one knows how a modern day TBird will sound in, say, thirty years from now. There is nothing indicating that they will age less well than the old stuff.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2014, 09:08:16 AM »
I'm happy with my 90s non-rev, even if it is shaped a little different than a 60s one.  ;)

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 01:35:01 PM »
I would go for this except for the fact that $3500 for a bass is way out of my price range. So I would support it wholeheartedly knowing I couldn't get one.

I think this more or less sums up my thoughts.  On this side of the pond, a $3.5K bass would likely turn into a £3.5K bass, which in turn becomes a $5.6K bass.
P
The future I come from no longer exists.

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2014, 06:46:53 PM »

If I didn't already have a '64, I'd be very interested.  And like others have said, it would have to be a single-pickup for me to even give it a 2nd look. Also, after seeing the 2015 lineup, I'm pretty turned off to present and future Gibsons.  I'll stick with my old junk.   >:(

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 06:49:05 PM »
They would manage to f*** it up in some way.

Gibson would either cheap out on the hardware....or shove black plastic pickups in it...or the whole run would be one crappy finish....or the wrong tuners or bridge...or some goofy, ugly "anniversary" logo or hot stamp....or poly finish.

It would be something that made it not a true reproduction of a 1964.

Plus, they'd make five times as many crappy repros as there were original 63-65's made.

IMO....Gibson should just tell their Custom Shop to take orders, for a short period, for exact copies from anyone wanting one, in ANY ORIGINAL 1964 FINISH.....or leave it be.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2014, 05:11:55 AM »
None of the Custom Shop TBirds I have seen ever went back to 60ies specs. The one exception is Phil Jones' Korinabird he built from a discarded Francis Buchholz project. But that was more a love child of his (he built it for himself) rather than regular CS fare.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2014, 07:16:23 PM »
The custom shop idea would never work. For starters, it would put the price out of reach. And you'd get way too many requests for different options that would push the price even higher.

Gibson can do it the right way if they want to, they've done it with enough historic guitar models.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2014, 07:39:14 PM »
The hardest hurdle would be to source the two point bridge and pickups.  A good industrial designer could set the the damn thing up for CNC work is less than a half day.  It's really too damned easy to do :-[

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2014, 08:34:22 PM »
we know where they can get nice-sounding chrome pickups and two-point bridges... :)
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2014, 05:35:23 AM »
Shoot....Tom Petersson told me that he once met and sat down with the Gibson reps trying to get them to do that....they said no.
It's NOT that difficult to do this... they make all kinds of Les Pauls and other guitars....WHY NOT a 1960's ACCURATE Thunderbird???? I mean.. Fender makes 98% exact duplicate vintage basses....the only drawback is the celluloid pickguard and the number of gears on the tuning keys...