Author Topic: Hi- My First Post and A Question  (Read 5589 times)

veebass

• View Profile
Re: Hi- My First Post and A Question
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2014, 03:53:56 PM »
Thanks, Guvner.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2014, 03:17:33 AM »
The reason for leaving a piece of colour is straight forward as some of the wiring they use is screwball with circuits going backwards-and-forwards through things and it can be a bugger to get right post the event - be aware that a replacement may not have the same colours, then you may need to know what the resistances should be from one of the owners of one on the board... it may be have two equal coil values with a single common (presently the orange one) or some other value - some circuitry can play havoc with your head when they are odd values...
There are some with distinctly differing values out there but it looks from your readings that they have two coils of roughly 6 ohms each...
The circuit shows the bridge pup works in all but position 1...
Position 4 tells you that there might be an open circuit on one of the coils as they are supposed to be in series, which means all wired in a straight line - wire/coil/wire/coil/wire etc in-and-out...

Good luck with finding a replacement...
Kenny
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2014, 01:56:59 PM »
Thanks Kenny much appreciated.
I have snipped the wires to the neck pickup, leaving a small piece of the colour- great suggestion.
I still get no reading from the neck pickup  with it disconnected- (the same as when using posi 2 on the rotary).
We can safely assume it is an ex pickup.
I am pretty thick when it comes to electronics, so sorry, when you say in the previous post,
"The circuit shows the bridge pup works in all but position 1...
Position 4 tells you that there might be an open circuit on one of the coils as they are supposed to be in series, which means all wired in a straight line - wire/coil/wire/coil/wire etc in-and-out..."
Are you saying there could be an issue with the bridge pickup?

Now, I see there is a restored Ripper pickup on US eBay but doesn't say whether neck or bridge- says it is 6.5K. Seymour Duncan do what they claim to be a direct drop in and it is stated to be 7.4k. I am leaning towards the Seymour Duncan. Are there any issues I should think about using a Seymour Duncan neck pickup with the existing Gibson  bridge pickup- remember... I am electronic thick. Anyone used the Seymour Duncan replacement pickup?

PS. I have sent a question along these lines to Seymour Duncan.

Russell
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 02:03:18 PM by veebass »

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2014, 04:08:27 PM »
Bridge pup is fine... the problem was that is like a set of old Xmas lights, when one lamp fails the whole thing stops working until you find the faulty part...

Ah... your readings are 1000 ohm range, not 1 ohm (stupid me) so the near values are 6000 ohm, or 6K, so 6.5K sounds fairly right...

Someone else needs to chip in with the details re alternates here as I'm quite basic re technology so tend to rip out the tech... :mrgreen:
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2014, 12:13:20 PM »
In discussion with Seymour Duncan about a rewind.

Wilbur88

• circa 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2014, 06:23:53 PM »
Wow, turn my back for a few months and Vee pops up!  Welcome mate - good to see you here!

Yes a damn fine collection of Gibson basses you have there.
Basses:  Gibson '78 G3 & '06 T-bird, '96 Ric 4003, '83 Steinberger L2, '11 Warwick Star, '01 Gretsch G6072, '11 Fender 60th P, '78 Guild B302F
Rig: Ampeg, Hiwatt, Fender TV

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2014, 11:20:07 PM »
Hey Wilbur, Thanks. Yes it is me!

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2015, 02:11:34 AM »
Dead pickup on it's way to Seymour Duncan Custom Shop for a rewind.

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2015, 08:29:55 PM »
Pickup just back here from SD Custom Shop- rewound- nice long leads in the original colours.
Tests 7.7.
Will be putting it back in tomorrow- glad I left the little end of coloured wire in place- great tip.
Thanks.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2015, 06:55:22 AM »
That is great news! Let us know how the operation goes!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2015, 04:14:51 PM »
It's alive!

Thanks for the help and advice guys.
Sounds great!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2015, 05:51:11 PM »

as a curious aside, that's Dwight Fry, as in The Ballad Of... by the old AC Group... iirc...