Author Topic: 2014... A Welsh Odyssey...  (Read 4204 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: 2014... A Welsh Odyssey...
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2014, 07:33:38 PM »
Wonderful photos, Ken.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2014, 04:12:13 PM »
Cheers Dave...

Kenny,
Do you know if the railroad served an industry, or? It's a nice pic too!

Talk a little time to study a guy called Beeching, Mark, and what he did to the British Railway system, then I'll come back to you with some highlights of the horror...
I think this remnant was, at least, a passenger line... the railway still runs from London to Holyhead, which is a main port for Ireland shipping... I tracked it through all the way up to Amlwych, which was once one of the most significant places in the world for copper... it is also noted that it had a ridiculous ratio of bars per head of people... 4 to 1...!
The line opened in 1864 and closed circa 1990... HERE's a link to the lines history...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2014, 09:08:02 PM »

Cool, thanks Ken, I'll do a bit of reading.  :)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2014, 01:42:28 PM »
Good stuff. I never made it out that far into Wales on my last visit since I pretty much headed out for Scotland straight out from Cardiff. Unfortunately I'm not sure I'll have any opportunity to revisit since it seems the centuries old farm may be up for sale and my cousin's family could be headed back to the States. Shame you didn't get to meet more Welshmen, maybe the Wurzels were hiding with the red squirrels.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2014, 03:32:51 PM »
Indeed... :mrgreen:

Like most realities... so many places... so little time...

There are several old buoys round the area that add a bit of colour to the shore-line...

Forgot to add... the geology of Anglesey is unusual and I came home with a couple of bags full of the pebbles and rocks to try and polish up... a bit of a failing of mine... shiny object syndrome... quite common within the Brethren of the LBO, I believe...
This is a section of beach called Red Wharf Bay...

... and yes, the small white creature revels in getting covered in it...

and another church... this one dedicated to St Gallgo...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2014, 03:26:03 PM »
Last entry for this...

This started with a tree and a church on an Island with a much younger tree... the big yew central to this picture on that Island is a mere 1000 years old...

The forest behind me in the shot is where we found the chewed pine-cone, but we didn't see any red squirrels... oh well...

As for the church with the 4000 year old tree... this is some of the glass to be found in there...

So endeth the Welsh odyssey...