Author Topic: 2014... A Welsh Odyssey...  (Read 4205 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: 2014... A Welsh Odyssey...
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 03:51:46 PM »
I love the expression stunning in context to little Britain when you have places like Yellowstone, the Rockies, the Grand Canyon... need I go on, 'cos I could... ;)

I guess the biggest attraction to Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and most of Europe, is the roots and the history... You go to Italy or Greece and our history pales into insignificance, but much of the far eastern parts of Europe, or maybe parts of Northern Africa are not so hot for USofA passport holders...
I guess much of it depends on your roots...

Most of the country out of the cities is pretty user friendly and most visitors are openly welcomed... I wouldn't want to stay in London for long if I didn't have to but it would be great to visit... plenty more to see other than stained glass windows... depends what you want to see...

Whilst in Wales, I was surprised how few Welsh people I met, and I only heard the language being spoken the once...

The next day was clear and crisp so we trundled over to the local church which has roots back to Saint Patrick (Mr PatMan) who history goes was in a boat that foundered near by (the reputed Island is visible  over my shoulder) and survived to found this small holy site known as Llanbadrig...

There is not a great deal of the original church left but some of it is 15th century; the most unusual aspect is that when a benefactor rebuilt the church in the 1800's he wanted no religious icons and all the glass to be geometric in pattern, much like a Mosque, so the glass is quite unusual...
The angle of the shot is deliberate so when I process the two primary images I'll have a clear view of the three windows...

Nala did a "Titanic" to hide Wyfla, the local nuke power station we missed in the details for the place we were staying in... :-\
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 04:10:18 PM »
I'm in Ohio...

The closest thing to "stunning" here, is parts of Kentucky...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2014, 04:14:25 PM »
Ah... the better half's home state, and I've driven along that river whilst we were there in '03 ... lots of (blue) green :mrgreen:
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2014, 04:44:33 PM »
I love KY, but the pics of Wales are pretty impressive...

Whereabouts in KY is the better half from?

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 02:35:53 PM »
My late MIL met her USAF future husband mid fifties, just down the road from here - USAAF/USAF HQ UK WWII was in Bushy Park about 3 miles from here - and post 1st daughter moved back home... the family had a tobacco farm up in the hills near Winchester but fell on hard times; place is called Stepstone... there's still family up there... the three girls were all born and raised in that area... Jackie was born in Mt Sterling... all that's left of the old place is a couple of gate posts and some pictures...

Back to windswept Wales...

This is a lighthouse on a point called South Stack on Holy Island... I like lighthouses too...

More churches... this is St Gwenfaens and was taking a chance as I only knew of a glass in the entrance but I did not expect the 15 windows I found... simply stunning... this is two of them... There was also an interesting wrought-iron gate... some of the windows are very old but these two are only late 1800's...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 05:57:56 PM »

Beautiful Ken!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 06:25:11 PM »

Beautiful Ken!

It certainly is!
thanks for sharing this.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2014, 07:48:48 AM »
I want a bass made from that yew tree ... :vader: :vader: :vader: :vader:

Seriously, very beautiful pics. Wales is quite a bit different from England, I realized that when were there for the first time a few years ago. Some parts even reminded of southern France.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 08:40:18 AM »
I've always wondered why Wales didn't get more attention.  You hear about England, Scotland, Ireland, even Northern Ireland, but not so much about Wales.  It looks like sending an LBO investigative team may be the best solution to this.  These pics are providing some insight into the way it really looks.  Good to know. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 09:28:30 AM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 01:51:11 PM »
Remember that this is an Island of the north-west coast of Wales, and some of these images are from Islands off the Island...

Southern wales has too much built up areas until you get past Swansea, and the mountainous centre is more interesting... the centre, then up the west coast and the north are the places to go...

More red squirrel seeking and failing... several places, including this forestry area known as Nant Y Pandy reputedly have some, but in this case, not even a sign of a stripped pine cone... and abandoned industry is always something I try and capture in an image...

This ruinous 16th century church has significance to the Catholic peoples of old and prior to King Henry VIII  - St Dwynwen's on Ynys Llanddwyn was a significant place of pilgrimage but good King Henry did his worst and this is all that's left... at one point donations made here accounted for the largest proportion of all income in Britain for the Catholic faith...

At the tip of the Island are two abandoned lighthouses, which always have the potential for fascinating images...

... And clouds always add mood to the occasion...

Road signs are somewhat different in Wales too...

If any of you haven't guessed yet, photography may play a part in my future plans... ;)

daan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2014, 03:01:55 PM »
I really like the pictures and the story to go with them. THank you for sharing! One of the things I was most struck by when I was "over there" (in Scotland anyway, in 2000) was the sense of history. Here, something 100 years old is positively ancient, and I easily saw things centuries older than that...
ANd yeah, why is it we never hear about Wales, the rest of the UK is more in the news regularly.
If it was good enough for Danny Bonaduce, it ought to be good enough for fake bass players everywhere!

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 03:21:09 PM »
You have a way with the pictures AND stories

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2014, 04:26:38 PM »
I'd like to concentrate on that side of things and am keeping lots of things crossed that all the plans come together at the right time...

Daan... the Welsh got sort of homogenised into the British (read "English") psyche and that's why they have got somewhat lost; also due to geography - far too much attachment to England, physically and metaphysically...

I want a bass made from that yew tree ... :vader: :vader: :vader: :vader:
On a serious note (very deep one on a low C) I was curious about that and there are some boutique makers that do use some of it, but I'd have terrible conscience issues re the age of such material...
Also, your comments re parts of Europe and Wales... makes perfect sense... think of your own homeland, and how divers that is, and some of the "fairy-tale" castles you have, not to mention the mountains...!

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2014, 05:02:20 PM »
I've always wondered why Wales didn't get more attention.  You hear about England, Scotland, Ireland, even Northern Ireland, but not so much about Wales.  It looks like sending an LBO investigative team may be the best solution to this.  These pics are providing some insight into the way it really looks.  Good to know.

With Americans I think it's the language.  They speak well . . . . . Welsh  :-[

PS Good on the photog!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2014, 05:44:09 PM »

Kenny,

Do you know if the railroad served an industry, or? It's a nice pic too!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...