Author Topic: Gibson bass amp?  (Read 5869 times)

amptech

• View Profile
Gibson bass amp?
« on: September 30, 2014, 12:57:48 AM »
It's interesting that searching for postings here on Gibson amps give me no results, does anyone here own or use a Gibson bass amp?
I understand they were not very common after Fender took off, and in Europe even the guitar amps are non existent.
I've read a couple of comments from the les paul amp for lo-z, but I'm talking about the regular bass amps.

The reason I'm asking, is because I'm about to build a clone of the GA-100 35W bass amp. I have quite a few oddball radio tubes in stock,
and not many restore radio's these days. They are removing the last few FM antennas over here in 2017.

I discovered, as i was reading tube datasheets the other night, that I had European equvivalents to the compressor (2x6FM8) and the drivers (2x6BD6) as well as a couple of boxes with 6EU7's. I also found a 40w hi-fi output transformer for 6L6GC's, so why not jump into
another amp project?

Anyone ever enjoyed a GA100 moment?

rahock

• View Profile
Re: Gibson bass amp?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 04:16:11 AM »
I've got a mid 60s Gibson Atlas, single 15" about 40watt amp that I brought back to life a few years ago. I think it's due for a cap job. I never use it but it's kinda cool to have around.
Rick

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 07:24:35 AM »
I have an old Saturn 2x12 guitar combo that I acquired when I was doing repairs and two GB410 cabs from the Steve Rabe-Gibson era. One still even has its original faux-wicker grille.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 08:21:43 AM »
Back when I was 18 or so, I bought a Gibson amp.  I think it was an ESS-100 or some such thing.  It had two tall, slender speaker cabs with several 8 or 10" speakers in each.  The amp was a separate head.  I can't remember if it was all SS or not.  Anyway, it sounded good in the store and was weak on stage.  I took it back after one gig and traded it for an SVT with a 2x 15" cab.  Much better.

You have to give them credit, at least they tried to compete on the amp market, but they never really hit a home run. 

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 09:30:58 AM »
Anyway, it sounded good in the store and was weak on stage. 

I don´t expect the GA100 clone to move a lot of air either, but for a home recording/practice amp it might be fine.
I have a spare EVM15L and hopefully I´ll get yet another ´tone´one tap if I need.

I think many in Europe think that gibson just made some amps, and they didn´t compete with other brands, but I must say that their amp lab really explored a vast area of instrument amplifier designs, from the very beginning. And looking at the northern brands like Telrad (Norway) and Hagstrom (Sweden), their early 60´s amps are basically late 50´s gibson clones - at least if you judge by schematics, tubes, component layout and general awkwardness:-)

I see now that only a few hundred GA100´s were made, doubt I´ll ever find someone who have tried them out then.
I´m curious if the preamp section pairs well with the mudbucker! 

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 11:19:12 AM »
You're sailing into uncharted seas!  Good luck. :)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 12:42:13 PM »
Do Lab Series count, not that I had one... just on the list circa the time I bought the RD...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 05:37:01 PM »
It's interesting that searching for postings here on Gibson amps give me no results, does anyone here own or use a Gibson bass amp?
I understand they were not very common after Fender took off, and in Europe even the guitar amps are non existent.
I've read a couple of comments from the les paul amp for lo-z, but I'm talking about the regular bass amps.

The reason I'm asking, is because I'm about to build a clone of the GA-100 35W bass amp. I have quite a few oddball radio tubes in stock,
and not many restore radio's these days. They are removing the last few FM antennas over here in 2017.

I discovered, as i was reading tube datasheets the other night, that I had European equvivalents to the compressor (2x6FM8) and the drivers (2x6BD6) as well as a couple of boxes with 6EU7's. I also found a 40w hi-fi output transformer for 6L6GC's, so why not jump into
another amp project?

Anyone ever enjoyed a GA100 moment?
This is interesting!

http://bluebookofguitarvalues.com/Guitar_Amplifier_Values/Manufacturers/GIBSON/Categories/GIBSON_ELECTRIC_TUBE_AMPLIFIERS_GA_GA_80_GA_400_SERIES/Models/GIBSON_ELECTRIC_TUBE_AMPLIFIERS_GA_GA_80_GA_400_SERIES_GA_100_BASS_AMPLIFIER?id=GIBSON_ELECTRIC_TUBE_AMPLIFIERS_GA_GA_80_GA_400_SERIES_GA_100_BASS_AMPLIFIER

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 07:20:48 PM »
I have a Thor amplifier, but it hasn't been turned on for at least a year. I only used it as a practice amp, 50 watts it is. All tube, also 6EU7 I believe.

Image is from http://johnkvintageguitars.homestead.com/Thor.html

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 07:46:48 PM »
There's a solid state Thor that's been for sale on CL near here for at least a month, no pics but "works fine, looks ok, probably from the 60's, $100 or trade." I recall these as being okay for their time.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 12:27:20 AM »
You're sailing into uncharted seas!  Good luck. :)

Thanks, that seems to be pretty common for the average LBO'er, who knows what dark corners of myself I'll peep into to land this one :)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 08:42:33 AM »
Make sure you have your miner's light turned on when you dive in!  8)

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 05:59:18 PM »
Back when I was 18 or so, I bought a Gibson amp.  I think it was an ESS-100 or some such thing.  It had two tall, slender speaker cabs with several 8 or 10" speakers in each.  The amp was a separate head.  I can't remember if it was all SS or not.  Anyway, it sounded good in the store and was weak on stage.  I took it back after one gig and traded it for an SVT with a 2x 15" cab.  Much better.

You have to give them credit, at least they tried to compete on the amp market, but they never really hit a home run. 

It's a GSS-100.......... With Gibson's complex naming system...... GSS (Gibson Solid State) GA-15 (Gibson Amp) EB......?
I've collected a few Gibson amps from that era, I stopped after the GA-77RET due to size. The GSS-100 is the only one that would remotely handle bass, it does have a bass channel. The speaker cabinets rattle playing guitar through them, so I never tried an EB-2.

There was an option for two larger speakers, GSS-100HC? I came across one empty cabinet, never came across an entire amp. Gibson made some of the ballsiest basses on the market at the time & never really produced an amp that could handle the lows their guitars could put out.

I think all of the tube amps have a 6EU7 in them as a preamp tube, they are getting hard to come by............
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 07:34:15 PM »
I have a Thor amplifier, but it hasn't been turned on for at least a year. I only used it as a practice amp, 50 watts it is. All tube, also 6EU7 I believe.

Image is from http://johnkvintageguitars.homestead.com/Thor.html

There's some kinda cool about the Thor amps.  I wouldn't mind having one.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 09:39:16 PM »
I had a G50B combo amp when I bought my G-3 back in '77.  It was not very powerful so I used an EH Mole to boost the sound a bit.