Author Topic: Fender vs Gibson  (Read 10092 times)

patman

• View Profile
Re: Fender vs Gibson
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2014, 12:33:48 PM »
I use rounds on my Dano also...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2014, 12:55:09 PM »

Is my 1/2 of heine a quarter panel then :o

This place is full of unintentional innuendo. In a good way. ;D
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2014, 03:29:58 PM »

Is my 1/2 of heine a quarter panel then :o

Make that half a Sonje Henie, would you?

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2014, 03:37:27 PM »

Does this quarter panel make my butt look big?   ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2014, 05:54:01 PM »
Nah, you got the legs for it!   :mrgreen:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2014, 07:06:02 PM »

My list of basses includes one Fender, two Fender types (a G&L and a Don R. Miller), Gibsons, a Ric, a Jerry Jones, three BaCH NRs and a couple of Danelectros.

Why do I feel like I've forgotten something?  :P

You did forget something, something that would make some green with envy.

And if you ever decide to sell the Bach I sold to you I will buy it back.

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2014, 04:51:32 AM »
I love the bass that speaks to me today. Sometimes that's one of my Gibsons, or Fenders, or Grecos, or Ibanez, or parts basses, or... YMMV, but I find that people who insist on telling me what I should prefer playing (or playing through) are usually fools and/or blowhards. Play what you love and forget about checking to see if that's OK with anyone else.

Exactly - although I spend the bulk of my stage time with a Fender on, I also play EBMM, Gibson, Schecter, Peavey - and have played Spector, Ric, and a bunch of other brands as well... IME/IMO, a seasoned player can rock just about anything, and usually isn't too concerned with the gear choices of others...

- georgestrings

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2014, 04:53:13 AM »
I don't really think it's snobbery. It's more a way of poking fun or striking back at anyone who tells you that you should only play Fender.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I see things here, too...

- georgestrings

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2014, 04:59:58 AM »
I'm with this.  A Fender, Gibson, Gretsch or Squier may be my pick of the day.  And yes, that other forum is quite Fender-centric.  I think much of that is because it skews much younger than this one, and many of the younger players don't have the experience with a variety of instruments and brands that we do.

There is a fairly strong anti-Fender push over there as well - mostly by those trying to look cool by slamming the old standard, IMO... IME, *most* of the points brought up against Fender are usually fairly irrational... I've never claimed that Fender is the best choice for everyone - but to see some of the crap flung at them by some people, you'd think a Fender kicked their puppy or something - it's pretty comical at times...

- georgestrings

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2014, 08:19:25 AM »
There is a fairly strong anti-Fender push over there as well - mostly by those trying to look cool by slamming the old standard, IMO... IME, *most* of the points brought up against Fender are usually fairly irrational... I've never claimed that Fender is the best choice for everyone - but to see some of the crap flung at them by some people, you'd think a Fender kicked their puppy or something - it's pretty comical at times...
    - georgestrings

There's also considerable snobbery in favor of the US-made Fenders, and many members seem to think that anything made in Mexico or overseas is not worthy.  Squiers are beloved by some, considered dog-doo by others.

Whereas the criticism often leveled at Gibson here is generally done "with love" by people who play the same gear they critique.

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2014, 08:27:08 AM »
There's also considerable snobbery in favor of the US-made Fenders, and many members seem to think that anything made in Mexico or overseas is not worthy.  Squiers are beloved by some, considered dog-doo by others.

Whereas the criticism often leveled at Gibson here is generally done "with love" by people who play the same gear they critique.

IMO, it's more a matter of replies to "my MIM Fender, Squier, SX, etc... is just as good as an MIA Fender", than it is actual MIA snobbery... In fact, I don't think I've ever seen any of the MIA fans call the other stuff garbage - but I've seen PLENTY of questionable claims by the fans of the lower end stuff you mentioned...

Sorry if you don't see it that way - we'll have to agree to disagree on the matter...

- georgestrings

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2014, 09:26:18 AM »
You did forget something, something that would make some green with envy.

And if you ever decide to sell the Bach I sold to you I will buy it back.

You will always have first crack at it! If you had a black or white Series I I'm sure we could work out something sooner rather than later.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2014, 09:50:12 AM »
IMO, it's more a matter of replies to "my MIM Fender, Squier, SX, etc... is just as good as an MIA Fender", than it is actual MIA snobbery... In fact, I don't think I've ever seen any of the MIA fans call the other stuff garbage - but I've seen PLENTY of questionable claims by the fans of the lower end stuff you mentioned...

Sorry if you don't see it that way - we'll have to agree to disagree on the matter...
   - georgestrings

Nah, no argument.  I don't care that much anyway.  If anything I'm one of the Squier/MIM fans.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2014, 10:02:51 AM »

- georgestrings

I've sure heard MIA Fender fans refer to or imply the MIM stuff is bad. When I asked my former neighbor if he'd be interested in trying out one of my basses, he said "I only play American made Fenders."
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2014, 10:04:46 AM »
  If anything I'm one of the Squier/MIM fans.

I figured that - no prob... I've owned a TON of MIM Fenders, and gigged a pair of MIK Squiers for nearly 10 years - they've all been solid, reliable basses for me, just not quite on par with the MIA Fenders I normally play these days...

I recently picked up a MIM Squier P Bass for next to nothing - I'll see if I can find a pic of it...

- georgestrings