Author Topic: Fender vs Gibson  (Read 10089 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Fender vs Gibson
« on: September 21, 2014, 07:41:51 AM »
The other day a friend of mine sent me a link to a new ESP bass. It's sort of got a Buzzard look to it, with a little RD he said.
I don't care for it but mentioned that I recently saw a band in which the bass player WAS using an RD. I thought it sounded good and said so.

My friend said, "They looked cool, but were pretty crappy."

I replied, "You Fender guys."

"Yeah, I'm a Fender guy all the way. I like Gibsons, but can't justify the cost. RDs are pretty common. Known as sort of the Edsel of basses. Or more like Gibson's Edsel."

I wrote back, "I could point to the Fender Katana bass... Seen one of those? Suddenly the weirdest Gibsons aren't so odd."

"Touché. Fenders had it's share of misfits too."

Me: "There's a Gibson 20/20 on eBay now. One of the "headless" basses."

Him: "Great if you're Devo. I'd rather play a Steiny. I miss the hell out of my old one."

Me: "Steinberger designed the 20/20.

Him: "I know. I guess everybody gets "one".

Me: "Check out Fender's new classic player Rascal bass!"

Him: "Little too Danelectro-ish for my taste. Not a fan of those pickups."

This whole exchange amused me.

Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Fender vs Gibson
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 09:01:49 PM »
Amusing but there's some truth to it. Fender has had its share of misfits but there's no doubt Fender has been a lot more successful with bass sales.

The Rascal Bass pickups are made by Seymour Duncan; they were designed for a Strat, believe it or not. At any rate, you can tell by the promo video I posted in the Rascal thread that they don't sound the same in a solidbody bass as they would in a vintage Dano. You can't tell some people though, they don't want to listen. I understand, since I'm the same way about some things.  :)

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 12:51:53 PM »
You are absolutely right.
It just seems to me that I've run into a lot more Fender players who say things like this or say things like "I ONLY play American made P-basses" than I run across Gibson players who say similar things.

I did listen to that promo thread and those lipsticks definitely do not sound like they do in a Dano. I thought they sounded great!
Clocks.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 01:19:02 PM »
Is the resemblance to Dano pickups anything more than cosmetic?

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 01:40:36 PM »
Is the resemblance to Dano pickups anything more than cosmetic?

They have Alnico 6 magnets like the originals. I don't know about the windings but they seem hotter, not that that would take much. In a Strat, they are chimey kind of like the originals in a Dano guitar, but of course even an original will sound much different in a Strat than a Dano..

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 08:28:28 AM »
You are absolutely right.
It just seems to me that I've run into a lot more Fender players who say things like this or say things like "I ONLY play American made P-basses" than I run across Gibson players who say similar things.

Us Gibson players tend to be a pretty tolerant lot. Hard to be smug about an old EB-0 (or whatever) anyway.  Plenty of gear snobs out there, that's fer sure, though. I think alot of it has to do with justifying money spent. That and the shame of having an expensive J-Bass that sounds almost as good as an SX. Me? I think nothing of gigging with a $100 Craigslist ho.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 10:17:18 AM »
Us Gibson players tend to be a pretty tolerant lot. Hard to be smug about an old EB-0 (or whatever) anyway.  Plenty of gear snobs out there, that's fer sure, though. I think alot of it has to do with justifying money spent. That and the shame of having an expensive J-Bass that sounds almost as good as an SX. Me? I think nothing of gigging with a $100 Craigslist ho.

Roger Glover seems to be willing to play about anything!
Clocks.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 04:53:32 PM »

The snobbery among Fender players is impossible to defend.  There are too many who automatically reject any instrument that isn't their choice among the staggering but often meaningless number of variations that Fender has built during the years.  There are many of them who claim that anything but an American made bass (and they are usually very unclear about whether that includes one with Mexican-made pieces) is so much dog poo. 

And it's simply not true.  The Japanese made basses are good, the older MIJ P-basses have an excellent reputation, and for that matter, even the Squier VM series have made a big impression on many.

But there are people who have cars, firearms, instruments, computers, and any other machine and device you can name, who sneer at the people who own the models that the snob has decided are "lesser".  Screw them and the the horses they rode in on.

Me? I like Univox, old Kay cheapie basses, Squier basses, and lots of other makes.  I've found very few basses of any make that I couldn't get a sound I like out of. And my 1963 P doesn't sound any better than a number of newer basses I've owned.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 05:24:17 PM »

But there are people who have cars, firearms, instruments, computers, and any other machine and device you can name, who sneer at the people who own the models that the snob has decided are "lesser".  Screw them and the the horses they rode in on

Known in other circles as Yankee fans...
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 10:20:19 PM »
Denis, this place is full of gibson snobs who even refuse to spell fender correctly. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 06:56:50 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 11:18:57 PM »
blender?
Louder bass!.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 09:15:44 AM »

I wish the SX basses would be sold in stores here instead of having to be ordered.  In Ireland, I could walk in a store, buy one, and be playing within minutes.  I just hate ordering stuff and in my local area literally the only thing available in music stores is Fender/Squier.  As for SX, one of the best cheap basses out there, IMO.  Take one anywhere and if it's damaged or stolen, no problem.  Once you get something valuable stolen (even at a respectable venue,) stuff like this begins to make sense. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 12:56:59 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 01:25:04 PM »
Denis, this place is full of gibson snobs who even refuse to spell fender correctly. :rolleyes:

I have four fenders..........

On my Subaru, where they belong  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 02:10:46 PM »

Hey now!  I gotcha Fender right cheer.....

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 02:22:55 PM »

LOL.  I fell for that one. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal