Author Topic: Soldering volume pots  (Read 1571 times)

copacetic

• View Profile
Soldering volume pots
« on: September 19, 2014, 10:56:26 AM »
Been doing some repairs on a few basses. Need to do some soldering work for connection pots etc. My local hardware said I should check the amount of degrees to make sure not too hot or enough heat to melt the solder... Any advice on the type or degrees for a soldering gun?

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Re: Soldering volume pots
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 11:36:06 AM »
I know from experience that pots are hard to solder - specifically, the ground connection to the pot's case for shielding purposes.
That needs more heat than you need for most basic electronics work, and may need some flux too.

I suck at it. My only advice is get advice from someone who doesn't suck at it, and don't be like me :)

The lugs are easy though.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 12:10:24 PM »
When soldering pots, the main thing is to be sure the pot is clean, no grease, oil, even oil form your fingers can mess us the adhesion.  I use a 100 watt iron and standard electronic instrument solder, the high quality stuff.  Can't recall the specs.  When heating up the spot I'm working on I keep the iron on the wire and apply the solder from the side.  Once I get a good bead built up, I turn the iron off and keep it on until I can see that the solder is cool enough it won't let go when I remove the iron.  Not necessarily the text book method, but it works for me.  I don't use flux on pots.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 12:45:16 PM »
Also it helps if you scratch a bit the pot surface with a piece of sandpaper, but be careful to cover the scratched area completely with solder to avoid corrosion.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 01:01:05 PM »
I use a Hakko soldering station:

Having variable temp handy is very nice.  Got this on Ebay a couple of years ago. 

I agree about cleaning the surface of the pot.  The pot acts as a heat sink and you need enough heat to get it to soldering temp before you cook its internals.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 03:32:31 PM »
My two cents worth is to make sure your iron is completely hot and to melt a bit of solder onto the tip before you touch it to anything.  This will help conduct the heat to your components.  That and keep your tip clean  ;)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 03:46:32 PM »
I still have quite a bit of high-lead content solder down the shed that I use... mostly tend to use a quick-heat type or my gas-solder tool for smalls works that I use for work - up to temp pretty quick and has a protective cover that means I can but it straight back in the tool belt...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 10:26:02 AM »
I still have quite a bit of high-lead content solder down the shed that I use... mostly tend to use a quick-heat type or my gas-solder tool for smalls works that I use for work - up to temp pretty quick and has a protective cover that means I can but it straight back in the tool belt...

I have this image of a well-stocked tool belt.

Repeat after me:  "I'M BATMAN!"  :P
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 01:47:08 PM »
Sand the pot
Tin the wire
Get a small bead to stay on the pot
combine the two pieces
clip and wire tips extemding from the little pool of solder.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 04:24:14 PM »
I use a Hakko soldering station:

I love that iron... I've gotten a lot of mileage out of my Hakko 936.  Too bad they stopped making 'em

I usually run mine at around 725 deg for PC board work, and maybe 775-800 deg for soldering to potentiometer cans.

Kester 44 and I go wayyy back.  So nice to work with.  The RoHS directive is such a pain in the a$$ for musical instruments.  I get why the EU is so strict on this (what with today's mobile devices ending up in a landfill in 3-5 years)... but for restoration work and building music gear that is possibly dependent on defunct parts (ge diodes, old through hole components, etc) leaded is sometimes the only way to go.

I just recently switched to lead-free for new builds, but would still go back to leaded for restoration work or guitar mods.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 08:44:00 PM »
I've never had to sand the back of the pot. Then again, it depends on your equipment.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 11:36:31 AM »
I've never had to sand the back of the pot. Then again, it depends on your equipment.

Sanding is a common practice among plumbers before soldering copper.  The scratches and clean surface make a nice place for the solder to grab onto.  The real problem is grease and oil.  A clean pot is a happy pot when it comes to soldering.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 01:28:48 PM »

Good pots donĀ“t need sanding. There are of course some cheap chinese ones that is tough to solder.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 03:45:46 PM »
I have this image of a well-stocked tool belt.

Repeat after me:  "I'M BATMAN!"  :P

... made by Snickers... no nuts...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...