Author Topic: Mesa 400+  (Read 4615 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Mesa 400+
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2014, 08:39:47 PM »
Are there any new Genz heads left?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2014, 06:13:16 AM »
I would think they are all gone now after the fire sales.  I'm wondering if I even need a 3rd. amp.  I'm very happy thus far with the Orange and the Scout that's coming is a known entity and I am very pleased with how it performs. Maybe I'll just use those two for a bit and see how things shake out.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2014, 01:16:52 PM »
There are used Genz heads around places like TB and Ebay.  I confess I haven't owned any other heads than the Shuttles, but they're fantastic and have a tube preamp that adds character.  I think from what Bill has said that either a ShuttleMax or Streamliner would fit him.

They do seem to be selling promptly in the $550-$650 range on TB.

ShuttleMax 9.2 thread: http://www.talkbass.com/threads/shuttlemax-9-2.1102360/#post-16373253
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 03:33:15 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2014, 08:35:14 PM »
Yeah, I checked eBay, just about the only new Genz Benz listed are the Contour 1x15 combos. One dealer is selling them for $359 which is way below what they originally sold for. Good deal but not what you're looking for.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 08:34:00 AM »
I think a bit of patience would turn one up.  They seem to be moving through the market yet.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 09:23:04 AM »
The Mesa Scout arrives today.  We'll see how I feel about my amps after using it at practice on Wednesday.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 07:13:47 AM »

But then, Rahock and I have drunk the Kool-Aid on Genz amps.

As have I. So much so that I sold my Sunn 300t with 215 bottom and when the guy came to pick it up I turned it on and was amazed at how good it sounds.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 01:16:18 PM »
I've drunk that kool-aid too.  Although in fairness, my points of comparison before I got the Shuttle are a long succession of clean sounding solid-state heads*, none of which I miss at all; I probably would've been much happier tone-wise with a big heavy tube amp, but when I was gigging I had neither the money to buy one nor the will to carry it around.

* The two other amps I ever owned with tooooobs were an Eden WT-300 and Eden WT-500, and that single tube in the Eden preamp circuit is not really there for overdrive purposes.  I'm not actually sure what purpose it serves! They're really nice clean-sounding heads, but I don't know why it took me so long to figure out I didn't really want a clean-sounding head for my basic sound.  The other amps I owned were, in order, Roland Cube 60, Peavey TNT-130, Randall something-or-other, GK 400RB,  Eden WT-500, Eden WT-300, Acoustic Image Clarus, Acoustic Image Focus, Thunderfunk 440 (?), Acoustic Image Focus III.  Not a dirty-sounding amp in the lot. Well, you could theoretically turn up the gain on the Peavey, but I recall that being pretty horrible.  The gain on the Shuttle works great for me.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 12:53:29 PM by slinkp »
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 03:33:22 PM »
I haven't tried to lightweight stuff, but my GBE600 is a fantastic sounding head that seems to give me any sound I am trying to find. I have been abusing an old Ampeg SVT100 for most of this year so the Genz isn't getting the love it deserves, but I still use it and love it.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 04:01:24 PM »
Ah...the Genz club emerges from the woodwork here......

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 04:06:24 PM »
Ah...the Genz club emerges from the woodwork here......

I'm another one.  My Streamliner 900 is hidden inside the fake Ampeg head.  Sound engineers love the DI in the Streamliner ....

Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2014, 08:34:35 AM »
The two amps I ever owned with tooooobs were an Eden WT-300 and Eden WT-500, and that single tube in the Eden preamp circuit is not really there for overdrive purposes.  I'm not actually sure what purpose it serves!

I think it was more about marketing than tone.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2014, 07:38:02 PM »
Two things:  the Orange amp and Trace pedal performed well together tonight.  Really nice bass tone and range.

The other surprise was the Mesa Scout amp.  It sounded great too!  I have come full circle and now realize just how good the Mesa hybrid amps are.  Wow does it sound great paired with the two Scout 15" cabs.  It's been a long journey but I've just developed a new appreciation for the Scout amp.  I thought I wanted the old school tone of a tube amp but the cleaner deep bass of the Scout is right on the money.  I feel a little dumb, but I feel good to have arrived at a good tone place at last.

I feel I can use either the Scout or the Terror/pedal and get just what I want.  This is such a good place to be at last.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2014, 08:00:45 PM »
Good. I know you've been searching for quite a while. Sometimes it just takes patience to find what clicks for you.

OTOH, you don't need an excuse to buy more gear.  :)

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2014, 04:16:44 AM »
I keep waiting for Bill to try a Genz ShuttleMax or Streamliner.  Hybrids don't come any better.

But then, Rahock and I have drunk the Kool-Aid on Genz amps.

Agreed. Pass the Kool Aid please :mrgreen:
Rick