Author Topic: who needs a guitarist?  (Read 4751 times)

nofi

• View Profile
Re: who needs a guitarist?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 08:15:10 AM »
from athens, ga.

"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 09:00:56 AM »
HAHAHA I've played in the Black Cat.... ONE 8x10 would be absurdly excessive in a club that small.

How many of those do you think are plugged in?

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 09:59:23 AM »
Really? Wow! Thanx  :mrgreen:

Within reason of course. Don't get carried away.  :vader:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 12:17:09 PM »
No topic about drum&bass duos is complete without Death From Above 1979.
I really enjoy them, their dance thingie is completely different  than other people's rock thingies.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 03:44:27 PM »
That has at least some entertainment value! And with those dance grooves you don't miss the guitar much as guitars went lamentably out of fashion with modern dance music some two decades ago, German Elektro being an unfortunate culprit. It's another thing we are to blame for besides WW I and II!!!  :-[

Health Warning: Singing/Rapping Moustached Breast Köntent!!!

Ja, I do feel guilty for it.  :-\

It mutated from this here and formed a mind of its own ...

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 03:52:24 PM by uwe »

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 05:49:23 PM »
I picked up the Royal Blood CD and actually like it. It's not a new concept obviously but I like it better than a lot of the other current bands that fall into that style. Not disappointed by the purchase at all.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 06:42:46 PM »
Dutchman lovey-dovey!  :mrgreen:

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 10:38:15 PM »
Another kick ass performance by Royal Blood

« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 01:18:57 PM by Basvarken »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2014, 03:08:38 AM »
Certainly one of the better bands from 1969 I must say, obviously recorded in mono at a technically flawed Blue Cheer sound check when the guitar accidentally dropped out. More historically than musically relevant.

8) I blame Cobain for all this. His parents shouldn't have let him go near a guitar. Or near a gun.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 09:11:01 AM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2014, 03:10:35 AM »
from athens, ga.

This is what happens when defenseless young people are exposed to the Venom vinyl of their parents. Irresponsible really.

In the mild afterglow of hindsight and -hearing: Compared to Jucifer, Venom sound like a decent pop group. My how times have changed.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 09:16:13 AM by uwe »

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2014, 07:36:21 PM »
8) I blame Cobain for all this.

Now you're flat-out trolling.  Can't anybody enjoy something without you jumping in to put it down and somehow find yet another opportunity to bash Nirvana?

Sorry Uwe. I'm getting grumpy.  I'll be back when I'm in a better mood.

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2014, 11:14:48 PM »
Now you're flat-out trolling.  Can't anybody enjoy something without you jumping in to put it down and somehow find yet another opportunity to bash Nirvana?

Wait till Uwe finds a way to compare this band to Deep Purple. Oh wait, he already did that  :rimshot:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2014, 10:01:42 AM »
Anybody is invited to bash DP (or anything I might like) - if it's done with humour and/or decent argument, I'm all for it. I prefer bashing to being ignored.

By the way I like Sly Stone. Very creative band, intrepid of real or envisaged boundaries and limitations. Rob probably likes them too, because he has a penchant for music that is slightly more rhythmically oriented and blues-inspired than your typical plain vanilla white band would offer. So we have a musical taste in common (besides Mother's Finest)

And I don't deny Nirvana's relevance or lasting influence, but they are popular enough to survive a dig or two - that said, Nirvana fans tend to be po-faced because everything about them is so sad and serious and Seattle and shotgun - sigh!

Nor do I compulsively put down anything somebody else likes. My CD collection is filled with stuff I heard over here from others first. But if Rob (or anybody else) raves about something, am I not allowed to mention that the king is without clothes (IMHO)? It doesn't put Rob down who I rate as a person and musician, never mind how he either likes druggies like Thin Lizzy, this curious Led Zep outfit (of which I have every release!) or Royal Blood who obviously forgot their guitarist at the last gas station. Not that anyone from these bands gives a shit whether I of all people like them or nor. But the fact that their music - in the case of Lizzy and Zep - is still being vigorously discussed on boards decades after their demise probably pleases them more than anything. If you're a decent band, you should also be able to divide opinion. This at least Royal Blood seem to have done, now all they need to find is a guitarist. One step at a time.  :mrgreen:

Kurt Cobain liked the Carpenters, maybe he related to Karen C. who had her demons as well. I'm disappointed that no one made the connection here!  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 10:28:37 AM by uwe »

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2014, 12:19:36 PM »
Well, I'm just relieved that nobody is coppin me schtick as the thread title made me worry.

I don't wanna fan the flames so I'll just leave it as "not my bag."
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2014, 09:40:43 PM »
Anybody is invited to bash DP (or anything I might like) - if it's done with humour and/or decent argument, I'm all for it. I prefer bashing to being ignored.

That's great. I didn't find anything funny in what you said, which may be entirely a fault of mine. Maybe it was the quip about guns that made me think it wasn't a joke.

But also, I was annoyed at the bit about how his parents shouldn't have let him near a guitar.  There are very few things I regard as sacred. One of them is the inalienable right to play any damn music you feel like, regardless of whether anyone else deems you talented enough; even if - especially if, since we're talking about rock 'n' roll - it irritates people or violates some arbitrary notion of what constitutes real music or good music.  Nirvana certainly don't need me to stand up for them, but if you say anybody shouldn't be allowed to make music ... them's fightin' words!

I don't have any particular love for the tragic martyrdom myth of the church of Cobain. I prefer my heros to live long and find happiness. I feel bad that the guy suffered as much as he evidently did. But I think he was a hell of a good songwriter, with a strong ear for infectious melodies combined with an unusually well tuned feel for moving in and out of dissonance and consonance (those "wrongly" placed major chords are not there by accident); and on top of all that, he was lucky enough to tap a raw cultural nerve at a time when popular music on the airwaves was really pretty dreadfullly devoid of anything resembling inspiration.  I'll always be glad Nirvana came along.