Author Topic: Pedal recommendations  (Read 4541 times)

amptech

• View Profile
Re: Pedal recommendations
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 12:40:20 AM »
I have had the Boss OC2 on my board a few years now, very useful. Rarely use it in combination with the mudbucker, though..

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 05:37:54 AM »
Hence my mention of the Akai Unibass - it adds an octave above, a 4th below, or a 5th above, plus has a distortion control as well.  Very big sound for a 3 piece when the guitarist is soloing.

Not available new, is it?
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 05:39:10 AM »
For a bigger sound and more fill, I find that a reverb pedal on bass isn't bad at all.  It doesn't fit everywhere, but a moderate amount doesn't call attention to itself.

Of course, I keep a reverb pedal on my board, so when you have a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail.

Ha, good one Al.  Yeah, I'm beginning to think the solution isn't a new amp, but more fine tuning.  Compression might just be the answer. 

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 05:40:16 AM »
Maybe an octaver would be the most logical choice if you need to fill the sonic space when your guitarist sets off to shred land.
I sometimes go higher up the neck and use the octaver function on the POG2 so I take care of the guitar frequencies (bass higher up the neck) and bass frequencies (first and second lower octave added).
Or I play chords with some overdrive added.

Yeah, I tried one when I was using the all tube amp and it didn't agree with it at all.  Maybe with the hybrid I'm using it would be better.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 03:23:06 PM »
Not available new, is it?

They are discontinued, but they pop up at TB every now and then
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 05:31:33 AM »
I'm not looking for overdriven stuff, just a fatter, rounder bass response.

The Aphex Bass Xciter should do that for you. I have the older 1401 Xciter and it does add a big bottom, but playing three piece you really need a bass whammy.

http://digitech.com/en-US/products/bass-whammy

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 06:36:24 AM »
Thanks for all of the input guys.  Gonna try a compression pedal.  One of our members is selling me one.  I'll let you know how it goes!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2014, 09:00:06 AM »
Got the Trace Elliot SMX Dual compressor pedal yesterday from Tony, aka Clankenstein, all the way from Kiwiland!  It sounds great thus far using just the batteries for power.  I can really hear the difference the low end compression makes.  I found a manual online and I printed it out, so that really helps me understand it better.

Just looking for a power adaptor now.  It's 18v DC, neg center pin, average 6.5 mA.  It will be a tough one to find, I suspect.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2014, 04:53:05 PM »
It is hard on batteries.  I got about a gig's worth out of mine on a single set. I almost got arrested in the Walmart near my house when I was buying batteries on the way to gig and wearing my Nashville Pussy t-shirt. The classy folks at Walmart didn't mind if people stole from them, but don't ever go wearing a shirt with the word "pussy" on it at 10pm on a Saturday night.

I bought my first Trace pedal when they were still being produced and have the box and manual (somewhere). The manual is backwards to my understanding of how it works. The EQ balance will REALLY completely change your tone. I only used mine set at about 10 o'clock and it added a TON of low end. My fingerstyle rock sound with a Jazz was input gain to yellow LED active, EQ balance at 10. High compression, when I needed more snarl, was at 1 o'clock but it was a matter of the room and about 50/50 for being used at all and the low end compression was just barely engaged- BUT when the low end compressor engaged, it activated the output buffer amp of the pedal and boosted my instrument level signal with enough current to drive my tube power amp to full output without them being a distorted mess. I used the output gain on the SMX as my master volume.

My Trace setup saw hundreds of shows.  I used the SMX pedal into the VR400 power amp.  It saw as much action, probably more, than my SVT. I switched to the SVT after we fired the rhythm guitar player who had VERY thin scooped tone (100 watt JCM800 and a Les Paul copy w EMG's) and the singer/guitarist switched from Tele's to a Gibson Challenger (bolt-on LP Junior) that I put a SD Pearly Gates in through a JTM45 reissue or a Fender Prosonic through a Marshall Valvestate 4x12 (they're smaller and sound better than the JCM 4x12's IMO).  With the Trace, he was using a Peavey Classic 60 combo and a Peavey 100 watt combo but neither was cranked.  In the early days, I used a Gibson GB440 4x10 with either a PA 18" sub cabinet or another GB 4x10 until I got my SVT coffin cab. The GB's sound exactly like early SWR Goliaths (both were Steve Rabe designs)- punchy, but not a lot of bottom. 

Either setup, I never played a single show with any other band where the bass player didn't offer to buy my rig.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 04:59:30 PM by Psycho Bass Guy »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2014, 04:13:53 PM »
Thanks for all of the advice guys!  I'll try it out at practice on Wednesday and give a report afterward.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2014, 04:56:58 AM »
Tried the pedal at practice and couldn't get it to work properly.  Had the local amp tech check it out and he said the batteries were half dead.  Duh.  :P  So, I ordered the proper power converter for it.  Should have it before practice next week.  More on it then!

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2014, 07:35:37 AM »
Awesome.  It's great thing when a tone quest is fullfilled.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2014, 07:58:27 AM »
Awesome.  It's great thing when a tone quest is fullfilled.

Well, it sounded great through my B-15 at home before the batteries started going south.  We'll see how it does with the Orange Terror next week.  I'm excited to hear it then.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2014, 06:15:33 AM »
Got my power converter for the Trace pedal from British Audio.  Pricey but I've never been comfortable with batteries in instruments.  Just my luck they'd die in the middle of a gig and I'm too cheap to replace them for each gig.  I think you get a better more consistent power out of a converter anyway.  So, we're all set for practice on Wednesday.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2014, 07:28:25 PM »
Hooked up the pedal tonight with the Orange Terror and it sounded great.  This is the tone Ive been searching for over the last year.  Big and round, very full.  The compression is a really nice addition.  The amp and pedal go reLly well together.  I'm happy with it!