Author Topic: Epiphone BS Marketing  (Read 1813 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Epiphone BS Marketing
« on: August 15, 2014, 02:25:20 PM »
Epi has a new line of acoustic guitars called the PRO-1. I'll leave it to you to decide how "pro" a line that starts at $119 could be. But they have "bold new features" to make the guitars easier to play. An "EZProfile" neck.  :rolleyes:  not just jumbo frets, but "JumboPRO" frets. :rolleyes:  "PRO-Ease lubricant on the fretboard.  :rolleyes: Light strings and a shorter scale length to make it easier, even though it's just a regular Gibson 24 3/4".

Sure sounds revolutionary to me!

If all this bullshit weren't bad enough, here's their marketing video.

How low can Gibson sink? Wait, no, don't answer that.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Epiphone BS Marketing
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 06:11:32 AM »
I guess it's always the same. Really pro stuff is concidered pro and people know it. If an instrument or amp is called Pro or a car is called Sport you know enough. Happens all the time:) I can laugh about it.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 08:36:14 AM »
Really bad stuff. I can't believe they paid somebody to do that. They might as well have turned over the camera to the janitorial crew.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 09:54:17 AM »
50 seconds of visual distraction and 10 seconds of unsubstantiated product claims.

But I do like the logo on the headstock.  Reminds me of the "Kelvinator" logos.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 07:42:34 AM »
In the heyday of Gibson - Epiphone competition, 75-80 years ago, Gibson came up with the "only a Gibson is good enough" slogan and Epiphone then advertised itself as "when 'good enough' isn't good enough". Those were the days! Now it's marketing by sideshow freaks.

I guess it's always the same. Really pro stuff is concidered pro and people know it. If an instrument or amp is called Pro or a car is called Sport you know enough. Happens all the time:) I can laugh about it.

Wait... you mean Sport Utility Vehicles aren't sports cars?  ;D

You're right, if it's called professional, it almost always isn't (the old Les Paul Professional was a rare exception). It's a marketing technique to make people feel better about buying something cheap.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 09:01:19 AM »
The LP pro isn't an exception - the "it it's called 'pro'" rule applies only to things made after 1970 (with a bit of a grey area transition period in the late 60s).  This corresponds with the coining of the term 'marketing' as a legit field of study at  the post-secondary level.

(mostly  :P, but actually somewhat true - there was a great rethink/advance in advertising theory in the early 60s - think of the transition from 50s fact based ads to more subtle you wanna feel this/be this ads by the mid 60s).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 01:44:21 PM »
I have the feeling that "It's called a pro series" relates closely to the old concept "If it don't go, chrome it."
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."