Author Topic: Mexican Rascal  (Read 15407 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Mexican Rascal
« Reply #120 on: October 30, 2014, 10:06:31 AM »
OK, Bill.  Here comes the BIG question:

Rascal vs. ThunderJet: how do they stack up?  (Patently unfair question posed onna counta I can!)

Good one Al.  Well, the TJ feels a bit more compact, the Rascal's neck has a longer feel to it based on body placement.  Nothing really big, but different.  Both of my basses have rounds on them, so they are easier to compare.

The main difference is in the pups.  They both are very strong basses, but I think the chambered body of the the TJ gives it a different voice.  The pups on the Rascal seemed slightly stronger than the TJs.  The Rascal is typical solid body.  It's more aggressive, has a Fenderish quality to it.  You could easily do slap and pop on it and think it's a J or P bass.  Not so much with the TJ.  Not that I do that, but the Rascal is a bit of a cross between a J and a Jag bass in terms of tone and output.  The TJ is neither of those things.  I think it has a unique tone all its own. 

Next week I'm going to try them side by side to see what happens.  In recent weeks, I've moved from the neck pup on the TJ to a middle switch position, using both pups.  I'm liking that tone much better these days.  I want some definition, not too much boominess.

I could play either bass all night long and be very happy.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #121 on: November 06, 2014, 03:45:33 AM »
I don't have a Thunderjet, but I do have the Billy Bo with chambered body, rosewood bridge post, TV Jones, neck quite high so not flat on the body. It's much more like a semisolid. Much more Höfner-ish. That's why I didn't use it much with The La La Lies and I can also imagine why Dusty Hill doesn't use one. Much more warm, woody and mellow than a Fender -ish bass. I can image the TJ is a bit the same?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2014, 12:09:46 PM »
I don't have a Thunderjet, but I do have the Billy Bo with chambered body, rosewood bridge post, TV Jones, neck quite high so not flat on the body. It's much more like a semisolid. Much more Höfner-ish. That's why I didn't use it much with The La La Lies and I can also imagine why Dusty Hill doesn't use one. Much more warm, woody and mellow than a Fender -ish bass. I can image the TJ is a bit the same?

Yes, the TJ is not as aggressive as a solid body, but nothing like my Hofner Club either.  It's a bit in between with enough oomph to stand out and be heard.  With TI rounds on on mine, it rocks with the best of them without sounding like a p or j bass.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2014, 12:14:19 PM »
I find the TJ to be a very versatile bass. It was awfully bright with the original rounds, but it sounds just right (to my ear) with flats. I'm finding it hard to figure out a reason to play any other bass in public.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #124 on: November 17, 2014, 09:04:17 AM »
I have one in for a review, so here are my first impressions:

The bass really looks good! The colour is so much nicer in real life.

It feels like a long scale, because of the long body and modern P-ish 41mm nut. Well, maybe it doesn't feel ling scale while playing, but it doesn't feel like a toy as a Musicmaster does. (I'm 1.90, which is almost 6ft3 in the strange measurements of you 'Muricans;) )

The middle pickup is positioned at roughly the same place as a Musicmaster, but it sounds opener and brighter.

I can use the three pickups as thumb rests. No problem.

My favourite sounds are:
B/M: tight, Fender-ish, cutting through a mix but with some sub low-ish sound to fatten things up.
M/N: Warm, woody, but still open and aggresive. Never muddy.
M/N, tone rolled off: Vintag-y warmth.

I think you have to play a bit with pickup heights, but the push/pull ads zero to nothing to N or M/N on my review example.

Two other things: the body of this one's really light (the overall weight is just okay) and has some very pretty grained rosewood. A stripe in it. I do like the strange dot positions.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 17, 2014, 10:16:26 PM »
Thanks for the review, Chris.

Mine is not particularly light, but it's not too heavy and it's well-balanced.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 18, 2014, 05:53:29 AM »
I find the TJ to be a very versatile bass. It was awfully bright with the original rounds, but it sounds just right (to my ear) with flats. I'm finding it hard to figure out a reason to play any other bass in public.

You're fundamentally correct Al.  But bass hounds like me can't help ourselves!  The more the merrier!   :)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 18, 2014, 05:54:55 AM »
Thanks for the review, Chris.

Mine is not particularly light, but it's not too heavy and it's well-balanced.

Mine's like Dave's.  A comfortable weight for me and easy to play.  Feels bigger than it actually is.  The body is a big improvement over the Mustang-Musicmaster style.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #128 on: November 18, 2014, 06:37:03 AM »
You're fundamentally correct Al.  But bass hounds like me can't help ourselves!  The more the merrier!   :)

Hey, you're having a good time!  It's odd though, buying that ThunderJet has kind of killed my GAS.  I already had an amp that worked great, and with a bass in hand that cost over $1000, I feel like I should work with what I have.  I'm even thinking of selling off a couple more of the less-used basses.

If I did get inspired again, based on what I've read and seen here, the rascal would be near the top of my "want" list.  But right now an S&W Model 39 is on top of that list.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 21, 2014, 12:33:13 PM »
Hey, you're having a good time!  It's odd though, buying that ThunderJet has kind of killed my GAS.  I already had an amp that worked great, and with a bass in hand that cost over $1000, I feel like I should work with what I have.  I'm even thinking of selling off a couple more of the less-used basses.

If I did get inspired again, based on what I've read and seen here, the rascal would be near the top of my "want" list.  But right now an S&W Model 39 is on top of that list.

Makes sense Al.  I'm more interested in the unusual or vintage stuff these days.  The Rascal is quite unique, so I couldn't help myself.  The ThunderJet looks a lot like a Les Paul but it sort of has its own little niche.  I will always be my main SS bass.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #130 on: November 21, 2014, 03:41:36 PM »
I'm trying to work a deal with my youngest brother to trade me back my S&W Model 39 that he's had for 20+ years.  I might make it work if I can find a good used transmission for his pickup.

I think basses are easier.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 24, 2014, 11:46:43 AM »
The S&W 39 is a sweet pistol.  I'd want it back too!  I want a 1911 someday, jus because.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #132 on: November 24, 2014, 02:47:41 PM »
I just picked one up on the Gunbroker.com website.  I couldn't make the deal with my brother work, so an S&W Model 39 will be my Christmas present.  My wife knows I'm probably going to find the item I want and buy it, then she gives it to me....sigh. 

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=454003076

I've never shot another semi-auto I liked as well as that one, and the double-action first shot puts it over the top.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 25, 2014, 06:16:09 AM »
Nice score!  Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #134 on: November 25, 2014, 09:01:33 AM »
Thanks!

Stand by for Thanksgiving day smoker-in-action pix, due on Thursday.