Author Topic: Mexican Rascal  (Read 15364 times)

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
Re: Mexican Rascal
« Reply #105 on: October 10, 2014, 07:42:06 AM »
I am also pretty happy with the stock strings.

Rounds of the lightest gauge, I wonder  ;D ?

I usually toss the stock strings because I want to know which kind of  f*&^() strings I'm playing. Materials, brand and gauge make a lot of diffrence to my ears and stock strings that sound great will leave you frustrated when have to be replaced.

I'm beginning to feel a GAS build up for the Rascal. Though I normally detest blue bass guitars I think the coloring of the Rascal looks quite appetising and I'm preparing for the worst ........  :-[
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #106 on: October 10, 2014, 08:07:54 AM »
I agree, nice to see something that's not a P or J.  I think the Rascal is kind of a DanoStrat.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2014, 10:01:37 AM »
I wonder if the stock strings are just the stock Fender long scales? I've been using them on my AlFeMbic and like them, thinking I might switch to something a bit lower tension though. On the Rascal with the Guild bridge I would be willing to be that long scale would work...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2014, 10:26:19 AM »
They're Fender 5250XL. 040-095, nickel plated steel.

Fender strings have been made by D'addario for about 3 years now. I don't know if these are the same as D'addario EXL220S or if Fender's specs are different.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 11, 2014, 07:43:35 AM »
They're Fender 5250XL. 040-095, nickel plated steel.
Great sounding strings, and my favorite roundwounds for Fenders. I love them especially after they have mellowed down a little.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 12, 2014, 05:55:15 AM »
I don't find the stock strings excessively high tension.  I am a TI guy but have been finding higher tension strings comfortable lately.  Not sure why, but I might be getting more flexible in my old age!   :toast:
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2014, 08:09:17 PM »
Just about any 40-95 set on a short scale is going to be low tension.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2014, 06:04:35 AM »
Just about any 40-95 set on a short scale is going to be low tension.

Good point.  Although the TI rounds are pretty floppy!

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 22, 2014, 07:30:03 AM »
On the Rascal with the Guild bridge I would be willing to be that long scale would work...

I've got Fender Long-Scale Stainless ( .105/.45 ) & Nickel Plated ( .105/.050 ) resp. on my 2 Starfires and they work for me .........
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 22, 2014, 10:28:44 AM »
I've got Fender Long-Scale Stainless ( .105/.45 ) & Nickel Plated ( .105/.050 ) resp. on my 2 Starfires and they work for me .........

I haven't removed any of the strings yet, but it appears to be about 32.25 inches from the tailpiece anchor point to the nut. Using long scale strings with the inline headstock would mean some of the wound portion of the string would wrap around the E post and possibly the A. That's a situation I try to avoid. Works for some people, I know, but it also can cause the outer windings to separate from the core. Been there, done that.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2014, 03:38:40 AM »
The fender rascal have now even arrived to the hidden regions of Norway, spotted one yesterday!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2014, 06:38:45 AM »
Still enjoying this bass!  Will see action at our next gig for sure.  As before, I'm liking the stock strings.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2014, 04:50:32 AM »
Here she is in action at practice.  This bass sounds great with my Mesa rig.  I even use the 5-way switch to vary the tone.  It's a lot of fun to have this amount of variety at my fingertips.  I have to say that it, and my Thunderjet, will be regular gigging basses.  I really feel that the Rascal ranks right up there with my USA J bass.  It even exceeds it in tonal variety, playability with the 30 inch scale and overall comfort because of its size.  It's no lightweight, however.  The body size and weight are substantial and feel good when wearing it.  Again, this bass is not a toy.  The SD pups are top notch and the bass puts out a really nice robust low end that closely matches a 34" scale bass.  Build quality is pretty equal IMHO.

If I had to limit myself to only one Fender bass, this would be it.  Plain and simple.  Again, being a short scale fan means I'm a bit biased!  However, I speak from experience.  I've owned everything from 51 RIs, to a 70's Telecaster, a 68 Telecaster, a P bass and numerous J basses.  So, I've sampled a fair number of solid body Fenders in my lifetime.  This and my USA J bass are super instruments.  I like playing the Rascal most!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2014, 05:41:41 AM »
Some afterthoughts:  I think it needs a thumb rest.  I do miss a place to rest my thumb.  Gonna look into that.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #119 on: October 30, 2014, 08:39:32 AM »
OK, Bill.  Here comes the BIG question:

Rascal vs. ThunderJet: how do they stack up?  (Patently unfair question posed onna counta I can!)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."