Author Topic: Mexican Rascal  (Read 15408 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Mexican Rascal
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2014, 07:19:00 AM »
So.............how's the Rascal?  Inquiring minds want to know!   ???
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2014, 06:46:49 PM »
It's rascally. :) Seriously, I've hardly been able to play it much yet. I'm having to take it easy.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2014, 09:25:54 AM »
It's rascally. :) Seriously, I've hardly been able to play it much yet. I'm having to take it easy.

No problem.  Just makes me want one more so I can see for myself!   :sad:  Take care of yourself!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2014, 03:11:17 PM »
Good things come to he who patiently waits, and +1 btw... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2014, 03:34:33 PM »
Sitting n the same row as the others.
Get fixed 1st Dave

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2014, 01:02:53 AM »
I really like the looks of this one. I'll have to keep an eye out...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2014, 01:03:28 PM »
OK, the lil' Rascal came in yesterday and I got it home for a quick run.  First impressions are very good.  The finish is typical Fender, car showroom quality and depth.  The little beast has some weight, which is a real improvement over the Musicmasters of old and current Mustangs.  I've been gassing for a short scale jag type bass for some time and was going to build my own if I ever got around to it.  I even considered the Squire short scale Jags.  I figured I could always upgrade the electronics, but didn't really want to go that route.

Anyway, out of the box, I was pleased that it came in a nicely fitted gig bag.  Better than a lot of Fenders at this price point that come with.....nothing!  The first thing I noticed was the set up was totally wrong.  The individual bridge saddles were cranked way up, the neck was bowed and action was terrible.  Guess factory set up is not a forte of the Mexican factory!  Of course the truss rod screw is at the heel, so I had to loosen the neck plate screws and tighten the truss rod.  BTW, it was not tightened at all from the factory, so no wonder the bow.  I gave it a few cranks and put the neck back on and now she's really in great shape.  Got to adjust the saddles a little more and check intonation, but we're really close and I love the action I'm getting already.  Love the individual saddles too.  The Guild bridge is easy to set up.

The other big grin I got from this bass was the manual that came with it.  Only in Spanish and no pictures for the visually dependent types.  I tossed it.  I don't think it was even specific to the model, just basses in general.

So,  I've only played it for about 30 minutes and I'm loving it.  The push-pull vol control and 5 way are great for providing tons of tonal options.  Sounds great through the Mesa M-Pulse.  The neck is Mustang like in its feel.  Slim and really easy to play.  As a SS fan, I'm gonna have to say this will get some playing time.  It's going to practice tomorrow night with the M-Pulse.  Can't wait!

I hate to make comparisons like this, but I'm hard pressed to see that it is any less quality than my USA Jazz bass.  Well made, no obvious flaws.  Feels good and sounds great.   Enough quality ingredients and workmanship to make one happy with it and it didn't cost a grand to enjoy it!   8)  The big difference I see between it and other Mexican and Chinese Fenders I've played or owned is the electronics.  The pups in this bass are definitely better quality than many of the other non-USA Fenders I've seen. This appears to be a winning bass product.  We'll see how it does over a couple weeks of playing and tinkering.  ;D

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2014, 03:26:44 PM »
Dang, that is one GOOD-looking bass!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2014, 08:47:04 PM »
Glad you're liking it! Too bad about the setup though. Mine was spot on. Doesn't HOG set it up before releasing it?

With a bowed neck, I have to wonder what kind of warehouse yours was kept in while HOG's Fender rep was getting his act together.

The electronics and hardware are top notch, as good as any American Standard Fender.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2014, 11:42:30 PM »
The only weak-point I see, long-term, is going to be the jack-socket, which may not tolerate more mobile players...? :-\

Is some kind of strengthening in that area existent or possible without messing with the general aesthetics of the look...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2014, 04:47:54 AM »
Dang, that is one GOOD-looking bass!

I agree!  Now if they just did one in a vintage white finish........ :)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2014, 04:52:06 AM »
Glad you're liking it! Too bad about the setup though. Mine was spot on. Doesn't HOG set it up before releasing it?

With a bowed neck, I have to wonder what kind of warehouse yours was kept in while HOG's Fender rep was getting his act together.

The electronics and hardware are top notch, as good as any American Standard Fender.

HOG does do set ups before the sale but I picked mine up still in the box and took it home.  I wasn't going to wait for that, I had stuff to do at home!

The neck was bowed because there was zero tension on the truss rod screw.  As soon as I turned it a couple times, it was right on.   Now the neck is nice and straight and the action is really nice!

I agree regarding the electronics.  For a bass in this price range, they are great.  A couple more models like this and Fender just might restore my faith in their creativity.  It's not just another J or P!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2014, 04:54:35 AM »
The only weak-point I see, long-term, is going to be the jack-socket, which may not tolerate more mobile players...? :-\

Is some kind of strengthening in that area existent or possible without messing with the general aesthetics of the look...?

You have a point, kinda like the old Triumphs.  Maybe a thin metal plate underneath to give it extra support.  IIRC someone here made those for the Triumphs.  I got one for mine and it certainly can't hurt to have that extra insurance.  I can't remember who did those.  Big surprise!

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2014, 09:31:21 AM »
90 degree connector with cord tucked behind the strap should cure most problems.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2014, 10:23:16 AM »
90 degree connector with cord tucked behind the strap should cure most problems.

Wisdom!  This is, of course, well known to all P-bass players.  The PG configuration is not all that different.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."