Author Topic: Somewhat radical neck reshape on a 400/1  (Read 1227 times)

copacetic

• View Profile
Somewhat radical neck reshape on a 400/1
« on: July 24, 2014, 04:59:09 PM »
Considering getting a 4001. Like most things about it except for the neck profile. I prefer a more jazz profile & width (1.5") at the nut. So i talked to a local luthier here in S.F. Who said he can get it close to there depending on a few things. The cost of the refret all said and done will be between $450-500. Not too bad considering I definitely cannot play comfortably with the stock Rick neck. Way too wide and beefy at the headstock. He actually did a nice job on a precision neck I had transformed into a jazz profile. Any one else done this on a Rick?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Somewhat radical neck reshape on a 400/1
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 05:19:13 PM »
Make sure he's done a Rick before. With dual truss rods that spread outward, you don't have as much room to shave thickness or depth.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 05:49:45 PM »
what Dave said...there is a lot more hollowed out at the end of a RIC neck...I remember my 4001 almost "bulging" at the end to allow for the hollow cavity that both rods sat in.  If you shave off the part that is larger to allow for the two rods, whats left will be mighty thin (I would think).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 06:24:44 PM by patman »

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 11:09:30 PM »
You guys make a good point esp. Because of the double truss rod. Hmmm..always wondered why they had that 'husky' profile at top of the neck. 

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 12:44:32 PM »
You guys make a good point esp. Because of the double truss rod. Hmmm..always wondered why they had that 'husky' profile at top of the neck.

I'm with you.  If Ric necks where like a j bass, I'd have a couple of them!!!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 03:17:16 PM »
1986 4003 Shadows have very slim and narrow necks, about the same girth as a Fender Jazz, with the standard Ric double truss rods system. Width at the nut is what Fender called A-width. Now find one for sale... 50 or so were produced.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 04:35:07 PM »
Seems like Rickenbacker should have taken note of that. Yes , the Shadow is highly sought after mostly because of the limited production I assume. However the neck is unusually hefty in my opinion but because of it 's particular profile is not entirely unplayable for me as early Thunderbirds and some Precisions.