Author Topic: Motion Sound SRV-212  (Read 4054 times)

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
Motion Sound SRV-212
« on: July 12, 2014, 12:44:50 PM »
After watching this on Craigslist for over a month, I made the seller an offer & dragged it home. Upon researching it, I couldn't find any photos of the insides anywhere online. So naturally, I had to take it apart as soon as I got it home. It's a nice design, a lot more versatile  than my Leslie 16. I don't know if I'd ever try running bass through it yet. The previous owner rewired the speakers in series to change it from 4 to 16 ohms, I may change it back. I believe this model is discontinued, Sweetwater is still selling them.

There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Motion Sound SRV-212
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 03:48:07 PM »
Since it's rated 100W in the 4-ohm configuration, I'm not sure what it's theoretically capable of handling at 16 Ohms...but just to protect the speakers, if you put a bass into it I'd sure keep the volume low.  AFAIK it's the speaker excursion for bass that hurts guitar speakers.

With the rotary thing going on in that speaker, it ought to be cool for guitar.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 05:50:35 PM »
The speakers are Eminence Screaming Eagles rated at 75 watts each. I have no idea what the rating would be wired for 16 ohms.................

P.S. MF has them mismarked. They are rated at 50 watts at 8 or 16 ohms.............
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 07:24:58 PM by Grog »

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 07:34:37 AM »
As projects sometimes do.......... This amp project kept growing. I found a Peavey Triumph 60 locally on Craigslist. It was about the right length & wattage. Also it had speaker outputs for 4,8 & 16 ohms. Then I started thinking about a rotating horn and started looking at the Motion Sound Pro-3X. It has a mechanical rotating horn & a bass rotor simulator. I thought that I could drive the unit through the pre-amp out jack on the Peavey & not hook up the simulator. I found a slightly used one at Guitar Center in Fort Collins CO. Motion Sound seems to be having plant shut downs & rumors of going out of business on multiple occasions, so I bought it. The Pro-3X worked just fine, adds a lot of high end to the amp & sounds like a real Leslie. A flip of a switch shuts it off if when its not needed.

I've been dabbling with Roland Guitar Synthesizers for a number of years, the organ really smokes with this setup.
This entire thing started out after listening to a Leslie West video where he played a Casio  Guitar that had an organ synth built in it, thanks Leslie................ ???

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 11:35:10 AM »
Dang, when did you pick that thing up here in FoCo?  I shoulda bought you a brew!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 11:57:28 AM »
Dang, when did you pick that thing up here in FoCo?  I shoulda bought you a brew!

I didn't actually pick it up there, they shipped it to a GC a few miles away from me. A brew sounds good for sure!!