Author Topic: Gibson Namm 2008?  (Read 14310 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Gibson Namm 2008?
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2008, 11:32:49 AM »
What's the difference from the JC & EB-2 body?

And the JCS has no solid centerblock if I´m right.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2008, 09:26:50 AM »
EB-2-RI is unlikely as the price of the vintage models is not high enough. 

Yeah it is.  I haven't checked recently (don't wanna torture myself, I can't be buying any more gear for the next little while) but before the recent sub-prime thing you couldn't get a clean EB2 for less than $1500.  A Rivoli, yeah, but considering what John said (he's right - EB2 does use a 335 body - a current production model, though personally I'd like a fatter/deeper body, but that's just me) and the surprise success of the SG RI, along with the similar cult following of the original as the EB0/3s it would still be a good idea and not require any significant re-tooling or capital investment by Gibson

Another good idea would be to try to nail the ABG hybrid market using a EB2/650 inspired design (fatter body, less sustain block).  Players want accoustics, but most suck in terms of accoustic tone and volume (construction and aesthetics too) and the cheaper peizo systems sound like ass - It would be nice to have an EB2ish bass to noodle on in my livingroom unplugged, but with SGRI pups so it can still be usefull in a loud full band setting.  Also, it's impossible to find a descent shortie ABG - Gibson has been a niche bass maker, with varrying degrees of success, so this seems like a logical step to me given the current market.

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2008, 09:43:09 AM »
After that Epi EB-1 went for $800, who'd bet on anything in the Gibson(ish) vintage(ish) market.

ReidH

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2008, 06:00:44 PM »
Has anyone looked at the current prices for new ES-335s  List from $3k to $4k and sell for $2.3k to $3k.  I wouldn't expect a EB-2-RI to sell for significantly less.  A new and improved Epihone Rivoli RI may make more sense, but the original RI's weren't a huge sales success.  Guild and Dearmond didn't have much luck, sales wise, with their offerings, but their RIs seem to be commanding bigger money, second hand, than the Rivoli RI.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2008, 08:22:06 AM »
Found these flatering pictures from Fret-King...it's a Europa IV. It's in the $3000 range !

First ACT

« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 11:41:59 AM by Barklessdog »

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2008, 09:02:44 AM »

Wow! Gotta say I like the 'Bird clone......It could be a really expensive year!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2008, 09:39:56 AM »
I like the RD, but I don't like the Bird. Is that really a First Act? The Bird looks like that British guitar brand, which name I can't remember. I believe it was a Trev Wilkinson thing too.

Let's Google it...

http://www.fret-king.com/

See the pic on the home page

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2008, 09:44:31 AM »
Your right looks the same  -  Tbied one is a Fret-King...it's a Europa IV. It's in the $3000 range

First Act RD link-

http://www.firstact.com/Products/LimitedEditionGuitars.aspx
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 11:43:14 AM by Barklessdog »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2008, 03:38:32 PM »
I like the First Act Degada too.  nicely done!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2008, 05:22:25 PM »
3K for a bass with allparts EB3 pups (e.g. like the ones on the Italia Mondial).  That's insane.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2008, 06:17:06 PM »
Yeah, I didn't find the price, but it is ridiculous for sure.  I'd rather buy another vintage Gibson!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

rockinrayduke

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2008, 07:33:04 PM »

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2008, 05:15:50 AM »
It reminds me a bit of the Tulip bass that was featured in bass layer mag a few issues ago.

Something kind of cool about it, but not for me.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2008, 10:07:27 AM »
3K for a bass with allparts EB3 pups (e.g. like the ones on the Italia Mondial).  That's insane.

That and the "functional wrapover stop-bar tailpiece as a bridge" with no adjustability. That's really insane.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2008, 10:42:48 AM »
Yeah, I meant to mention that, but forgot. 

This second one is better (even P/J pups are a step above the allparts, despite not being my thing.... on second thought maybe better to get the allparts version - easier to stick real mud in there  :P).  The body shape is interesting in a Reverend does Gibson sort of way, but I find the faux ass-end wings to be lame.  ... and though that bridge is an improvement, seriously, lets have some intonation - it's a reworked bar bridge for crissakes.

I find that I'm starting to become very old-manish about bridges.  The new ones are adjustable every which way (and that's great) but look stupid (ruined the look of the TBird studio IMO - too square for one thing).  Then there's the unintonateable ones.  I also prefer the sound/feel of post-mounted bridges - I wish someone would just make a 460-like bridge that wasn't quite so tall.  I have no issue with the 3 point actually (not a fan of the replacements for that tho) besides the saddles falling off without strings on... and I wish there was more distance between the saddles and the anchors, but those are minor things.  Also, basses with a neck break angle, lets see some more of that.