Author Topic: USA Jag Bass  (Read 3580 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
USA Jag Bass
« on: July 02, 2014, 03:23:02 AM »
http://www.fender.com/basses/jaguar/american-standard-jaguar-bass-rosewood-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/

The Jag has grown up. It's available as a USA version now. I think the split P looks much better on the Jag than the Js.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
Re: USA Jag Bass
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 04:58:43 PM »
How hard would it be for Fender to offer colours that are different to the MIJ Jags that are already in their product range?  That thing would look killer in sea foam green or shoreline gold.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 07:53:46 PM »
And how hard would it be to offer different pickups? I understand the appeal of the P/J setup on a P or a J, but if you're going to finally offer a US Jag bass, geez, make it distinctive, not just another P/J. Yeah, it's passive or active and has the little wheels. That's not enough IMHO. When FCS did a short run of Jag basses about a dozen years ago, they had a single twin/J type p/u and competition stripe and they were all Sherwood Green.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 07:40:18 AM »
When FCS did a short run of Jag basses about a dozen years ago, they had a single twin/J type p/u and competition stripe and they were all Sherwood Green.

THAT sounds cool!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 10:08:57 AM »
THAT sounds cool!

It was. And looking back, it was longer ago than I thought. It was called the Competition Jag Bass. In the early days of the FDP, a guy named Mike Guthrie had bought one and posted pics, now long gone. He called his a '98. I recall pics posted from a couple dealer inventories too, also long gone. The only pic I can find is a thumbnail-sized pic from the 1999 Fender Custom Shop Calendar but it really doesn't do justice to the color. It was on the August page.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 02:44:17 PM »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 03:16:48 PM »
As a resident Fender fan, me likey!!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 06:39:19 AM »
plus one

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 09:12:19 AM »
I'm a big fan of the competition stripes.  I added them to my Squier Bronco...now that I think about it, I have a black pearloid pickguard for this bass sitting around - I need to get it installed.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 12:03:13 PM »
Larger pic, but still doesn't represent Sherwood Green.

I remember that one of them was at Elderly Instruments (Lansing, MI) for quite a while. Back then new CS stuff was half today's prices, It was about $1600. Wish I had bought it then.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 03:44:14 AM »
When I started playing bass I was already a big fan of the Jaguar and Jazzmaster. One of my thougts in that time was: 'I hope they will produce a Jag/Jazzmaster bass once.' When they did I was a bit disappointed it had J-pickups and not special made ones. But I have to say that the split P looks goo on the offset body.

A while ago a lot of 'reissue' basses got Fender pickups. Think of some Mosrite-copies with J-pickups and let's not think about the Krist Novoselic RD. But Eastwood is doing it well, I'm glad the new cheap Vox basses have the right looking pickups and of course the Fender Starcaster Bass is cool. But a Jaguar bass would have looked cooler with unique pickups.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 03:59:52 AM »
Not the right variant, but is this more the shade...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 07:08:52 AM »
Not the right variant, but is this more the shade...?

That's right. An image search for Fender Sherwood Green Jaguar will show guitars and not this bass but most all of them will be in the right color, just. There's just a problem with the color of the image on that calendar.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 01:27:36 AM »
I'm a big fan of the competition stripes.  I added them to my Squier Bronco...now that I think about it, I have a black pearloid pickguard for this bass sitting around - I need to get it installed.

I like your little Bronco a lot.  I have a roughed out mahogany Jag body and Musicmaster bass neck waiting for some attention some day!  It will be a fun project if I ever get around to it.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 08:46:01 AM »
I need a new photo.  It has black & white dice knobs on Vol/Tone now....