Author Topic: Old Gibson SG help needed  (Read 1426 times)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Old Gibson SG help needed
« on: June 11, 2014, 02:07:48 PM »
A friend of mine is curious about this one.  He used to own one exactly like it, but wants to know what he had (he sold it over 40 years ago).
He thinks it's fairly rare, based on color, and from '62/63.  He also wonders how many were made.

Anyone know something?

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
Re: Old Gibson SG help needed
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 02:23:26 PM »

Large pickguard would place it somewhere from '65-'69.  With the reflector knobs and nylon-saddle bridge, narrows it down to around '65-'67.  Shipping totals are pretty easy to find on the web, but they're not broken down by color.  Regardless, the custom color Gibsons of that period are much rarer than the standard finishes, and accordingly command a pretty good premium.

BTW, the official model designation is the SG Standard (w/Lyre Vibrola).  Lots of folks are turned off by the skinny neck on the late-'60s SG's (1-5/8" width at the nut), so that keeps the prices down a bit.   Still not a cheap guitar at all.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 02:50:38 PM »
Thanks!  What would one of those go for today?  The guy I know who was asking bought it in '69 for $100 and then sold it in '71 for $150.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 07:24:36 PM »
Thanks!  What would one of those go for today?  The guy I know who was asking bought it in '69 for $100 and then sold it in '71 for $150.

I'm not really sure where the market's at on these, but I would guess around $5-6K.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 07:41:47 PM »
I don't think the large pickguard appeared until 1966. I've seen nylon saddles on SGs said to be as late as 1969, but with the inconsistencies with Gibson serial numbers, that's not necessarily accurate. I'd say this is from '66-'67. Price of a standard cherry would be in the $3K-5K range depending on condition, how much more for the Pelham Blue is anybody's guess. Could be a lot more.

Definitely not '62-'63, and if it were, it would officially be a Les Paul.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 11:21:53 PM »
The neck heel is another way to date it, but 66 to 69 from the picture, as said above.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 05:07:43 AM »
It looks like Wilco's Jeff Tweedy's current reissue.