Author Topic: Switching string brands - flatwound advice needed  (Read 7524 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Switching string brands - flatwound advice needed
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2015, 06:24:18 AM »
I can't find a huge magic with Pyramids, they are fine strings, but so are the ones from 20+ other brands.

In my book, the only strings that are really different-different-different from all the rest are Thomastiks - whether you like that or not is however entirely a matter of taste.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2015, 07:34:42 AM »
Well, at jam last night they felt awesome.  The tension change made me a bit clumsier than usual, but I think I like it.  They seem more focussed than TIs, but they are still fresh - so could just be extra top end (even the A vs what I'd heard - never trust the internet/talkbass).  Seem to have a leaner bottom than the TIs as well but we'll see about that when they break in..... also somehow, lower output. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 07:14:58 AM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2015, 06:27:03 AM »
Any of you try those La Bellas on a shorty?  Just wondering if the tension/stiffness is alleviated by the shorter scale length at all.

I put a set of LaBella flats on my Danelectro Longhorn and it's now an amazing sounding little bass. Elderly Instruments had them for a killer price a couple of months ago and I bought two sets (I think $49 to both with free shipping).
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2015, 06:00:46 PM »
So I got the refret back on Friday.  Amazing that it was done earlier than they said it would (Thursday, just couldn't get out there).  All looks well, I asked for narrower frets so there's a few chips in the fretboard around 2 frets from where the original ones dug in a bit too much, but a great job otherwise; nicely dressed and polished.

Anyway, threw the Rotos on and no good.  E string  has a weird vibration (I thought something was loose in the control cavity) and unless I mashed down as hard as I could with my fretting hand and got my fingers perfectly placed, there was way too much fret noise (especially as you release).  Suspecting that this was due to the high action (bridge can't go any lower, old neck reset not helping) + higher string tension, I changed the Rotos out for an old set of TIs, and there's my girl!  Not quite buttah; but that's not possible on this ole girl.

I'll try the Rotos on the RD; being the eldest of the herd, Lucy appears to need a lower tension string or she starts complaining.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2015, 11:02:44 PM »
FYI guys, long scale Pyramids (at least the E) won't work on shorties; when the actual proper wrap (after the silk ends) goes around the post once it splays and snaps the core somehow.  Happened a second time with the replacement E but all was fine with the shortie they sent me after that.

BTW, Uwe (or anyone else) would you mind confirming that the Pyramid long scales have light purple silks vs dark green on the shorties?

I had to loosen the truss rod all the way; could just be the thinner E string vs the TIs but the tension is lower, which I did not think possible.  Think I was able to get the action down a bit lower than before too. 

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2015, 03:51:54 PM »
BTW, Uwe (or anyone else) would you mind confirming that the Pyramid long scales have light purple silks vs dark green on the shorties?

I don't know about the long scale Pyramids, but the shorties are definitely dark green.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2015, 04:11:12 PM »
I don't know about the shorties, but the long scale silks on the set I had were light purple. That's been over 10 years ago though.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2015, 06:12:01 PM »
That's good enuf for me; thanks fellas.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2015, 02:12:03 PM »
I'v never had long scale Pyramids, but the shorties are green thread.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2015, 02:45:05 PM »
I don't know about the shorties, but the long scale silks on the set I had were light purple. That's been over 10 years ago though.

I have long suspected the 40-year-old strings on my P-bass are Pyramids, as that seemed the best fit to the responses I got when I asked a similar question on TB. Here's a shot....Dave, are these similar to yours?  These strings have lasted awfully well!

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2015, 03:16:11 PM »
Yeah, those look like my longscale Pyramids.  I was just surprised when the shortie was a different colour.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2015, 04:27:46 PM »
Well, a brand of flatwound string that was installed in 1972 and still sounds good is a pretty nice thing to know about!

Thanks!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2015, 04:42:04 PM »
For the price they better sound good after a few decades!  :P

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2015, 08:29:01 PM »
For the price they better sound good after a few decades!  :P

No kidding!  I'd have tried them on other basses but for the price.  It also happens that I like Labella Deep Talkin' flats, which makes me more reluctant to shell out for the Pyramids.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2015, 09:08:49 PM »
I have long suspected the 40-year-old strings on my P-bass are Pyramids, as that seemed the best fit to the responses I got when I asked a similar question on TB. Here's a shot....Dave, are these similar to yours?  These strings have lasted awfully well!

Yes, as best as I can remember.