Author Topic: Why women are attracted to rock stars  (Read 1986 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Why women are attracted to rock stars
« on: April 23, 2014, 09:56:37 AM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-the-scientific-reason-for-why-women-are-attracted-to-rock-stars-2014-4

It seems to me that hormones have a lot to do with matters such as these.  I don't think any study is necessary.  But since they've done one anyway, here it is.  However, on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate this study a 1.  It's ridiculous. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Why women are attracted to rock stars
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 10:31:37 AM »
I'm not surprised nor do I find it ridiculous - I'm biologistic at heart (and in the brain), we're hairless apes and we only left the cave a couple of seconds ago in earth age categories. Music and other art forms have something to do with sex and courtship - that is why they are so often coupled with romance. Art (and sports) is also one of the few fields where men are still allowed to compete unashamedly with each other, now that hitting each other over the head with clubs (with the victor dragging the passive female behind him by her hair into the cave) is widely regarded as non-pc.

It would also be an - admittedly biologistic - explanation why there are so few female classical composers and technically minded female lead guitarists. It's simply not something they need to do to attract or impress males.

You can boil a lot of things down to biologistic programming: Why men of all ages tend to concentrate their interest for women on those in the age group between 15 and 35? We're looking for fertility and it's at its plateau then. Why we like healthy looking women, not too skinny, with a little baby fat where it counts? Because healthy mums have healthy babies. Why women after having given birth to children with one man start looking whether there might be some new, different DNA around ...

Also explains why even Emerson, Lake & Palmer and King Crimson in the Red era had groupies - I assure you it wasn't for the music!  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:48:35 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 10:59:09 AM »
Digging on fifteen year olds eh Uwe? Well I guess things are a little more laid back in Germany. I'd say 35 is a bit over the hill for child bearing. Hope if I get a chance to reproduce my mate will be 30 or under. A younger mother should help reduce the chances of having an autistic kid.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 11:18:53 AM »

I attract kooks of all sexes  :o
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 11:45:52 AM »
Digging on fifteen year olds eh Uwe? Well I guess things are a little more laid back in Germany. I'd say 35 is a bit over the hill for child bearing. Hope if I get a chance to reproduce my mate will be 30 or under. A younger mother should help reduce the chances of having an autistic kid.

Hah, innocent - the greatest age difference I have yet had with a younger significant other (or sex partner) was two and a half years younger than me (and that was when I was 21 or 22)! And I already felt that to be getting a bit much, I'm weird that way. Back in school it was unfathomable for me to date a girl younger (= a more junior class) than me which - if you are 16 and all the girls the same age as you want older boyfriends - really restricts the pool you're fishing from! Maybe that is why my number of dates were rather restricted ...  :mrgreen:

I have no use for women from generations to whom "Ritchie Blackmore" or "Jon Lord" means nothing - shudder to think!  :mrgreen:  Having to explain to someone what Deep Purple was is degrading!!!  ;D Some basic education and life experience is key. If you want to score with me you should have heard and liked "Child in Time" when it came out (or thereabouts). Edith is four months older than me which meant that (a) back in school I of course never had a chance with her because all her boyfriends were older than me, (b) I can now take ultimate revenge by introducing her as "I personally prefer older women, here's my cougar ...".  :mrgreen:

"I'd say 35 is a bit over the hill for child bearing."

That is actually more on the youngish side for women attorneys in law firms having their children! The contest between career achievement and fertility is a huge issue for them.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 12:01:27 PM by uwe »

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 12:10:15 PM »
I was just pulling your leg Uwe. My first fling was with a 19 year old when I was 17 and it worked out pretty nicely at the time. At 36, I can't say I'd turn down many 20 somethings that I come across these days.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 01:17:54 PM »

Well................ I had a bit of a fling with a woman about half my age a few years back..........The sex was good.  :mrgreen:
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 01:21:44 PM »
I can't take the study very seriously.  But I do tend to be skeptical anyway.  It's still fun to read and think about.  I have to agree with Kurt Cobain, though, when he said something to the effect that he wanted to be in a band for the music and not for the girls.  Although I was definitely crazy about girls during that time period of being in bands for the first time, it was the music that I was drawn to.  In the process, of course, I ended up being around girls way more than I might have ever expected.  All things considered, that's a pretty good thing.  This is talking about rock stars, but it can also apply to local bands, obviously. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 01:36:34 PM »
As a bassist the girls at least always feel sorry for you. Mercy has its benefits too.  :mrgreen:

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 01:57:35 PM »
As a bassist the girls at least always feel sorry for you. Mercy has its benefits too.  :mrgreen:

I suspect mercy may be way underrated.   :mrgreen:

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 03:33:19 PM »
16 plays 26 was my guiltiest ...

Presently like Uwe... but slightly older... and 25 years married next month...

I think relationship oddities to be discussed could be a Clinton/Lewinski, or maybe the odd lure politicians have... :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 04:15:43 PM »
16 plays 26 was my guiltiest ...

Ditto.  In a small town - so had to cover my tracks very well.

Currently, my wife is 9 years younger than me, so I guess I do have form.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 11:04:23 PM »
Currently, my wife is 9 years younger than me, so I guess I do have form.

Currently? You're planning to stop aging at some point so she can catch up?
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 11:32:08 PM »
Her dad knew... office relationship... same office I met my present and only... the other was previous though... turned out I was between relationships and used to end the previous before moving on to the next permanent...
She was a keys player and taught me a maxim...

Perfect practice makes perfect...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

fur85

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 05:03:38 AM »
The authors of the study made no statements about rock stars. That was the journalist trying to find an angle.

The study title is "Menstrual cycle phase alters women's sexual preferences for composers of more complex music"

Here is the abstract:

http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/281/1784/20140403.abstract