Author Topic: Klingspor: One Sanding Block to rule them all  (Read 3591 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
Re: Klingspor: One Sanding Block to rule them all
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 12:36:22 PM »
A fretboard that tapers in width is like a cone. Picture this: suppose you center the sanding block by the nut and draw two parallel lines going to the body end of the board. Easy enough to sand that parallel to the board's centerline. But you will have a long, narrow triangle outside those lines on each side. Each of those sections would have to be sanded exactly parallel to the centerline of the board, not parallel to the sides of the fretboard. It's doable in theory, difficult in practice.

I agree that a flat block won't work. That's fine for fret leveling, maybe Bill was thinking of that.

Gotcha, thanks Dave. Your example makes sense, but here's where my confusion comes in:

Question: An 8 degree radius sanding block (one that overlaps both edges of the fingerboard) is a constant radius, not tapered.  Isn't the idea of a radiused sanding block to center the block on the centerline of the fingerboard and sand it down evenly?
Q Pt.2): Is it because the full-width sanding block can cover the entire fingerboard without moving off the centerline the trick to keeping the constant radius while the fingerboard width fans out?

Thanks for all the help here.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 12:58:23 PM »
Yes, that's the idea, but unless the board's width is constant, it's very difficult to sand it evenly when the sanding block is narrower than the board.

Q Pt.2): Yes, that's it exactly.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 02:45:04 PM »
Yes, that's the idea, but unless the board's width is constant, it's very difficult to sand it evenly when the sanding block is narrower than the board.

Q Pt.2): Yes, that's it exactly.
Thanks....appreciate the knowledge transfer.

Wanna buy a sanding block?

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 03:09:11 PM »
Perfect for a mando...

Clearly, this is an excellent preparation for a career in law...

... As in screwing people ... ?  :vader: ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 04:56:08 PM »
A fretboard that tapers in width is like a cone. Picture this: suppose you center the sanding block by the nut and draw two parallel lines going to the body end of the board. Easy enough to sand that parallel to the board's centerline. But you will have a long, narrow triangle outside those lines on each side. Each of those sections would have to be sanded exactly parallel to the centerline of the board, not parallel to the sides of the fretboard. It's doable in theory, difficult in practice.

I agree that a flat block won't work. That's fine for fret leveling, maybe Bill was thinking of that.

I meant a radiused sanding block if you want to maintain the curve of te frets.  Flat blocks are for leveling as Dave said when you have a lot to take off.  Issue both types of blocks.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 07:16:33 PM »
Yup...understood.
8 degree radius is apparently an anomaly in the fretboard world, I could not find a block anywhere.

I could make my own, but that would take years and cost thousands of lives.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 05:14:09 AM »
Yup...understood.
8 degree radius is apparently an anomaly in the fretboard world, I could not find a block anywhere.

I hear ya on that one!  Doing the radius would be a major pain.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 05:37:30 AM »

Buy a 7.25"R block (vintage Fender radius).  Wrap a sheet of 120 sandpaper or close to that around your 8" radius neck and secure it (grit up) at the heel end.  Recontour the block on the sandpaper wrapped neck to match the 8 inch radius.

I'd dust a very light coat of black spray paint on the block before you start sanding it to size. Then you'll know when the recontouring is correct.

I didn't make up this technique, it's a common way of getting a nonstandard radius from a standard block that's close to what you need.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2014, 06:31:07 AM »
Buy a 7.25"R block (vintage Fender radius).  Wrap a sheet of 120 sandpaper or close to that around your 8" radius neck and secure it (grit up) at the heel end.  Recontour the block on the sandpaper wrapped neck to match the 8 inch radius.

I'd dust a very light coat of black spray paint on the block before you start sanding it to size. Then you'll know when the recontouring is correct.

I didn't make up this technique, it's a common way of getting a nonstandard radius from a standard block that's close to what you need.

Great idea.  I wouldn't have thought of it.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2014, 10:41:36 AM »

That's awesome - thanks.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2014, 11:30:38 AM »
That's awesome - thanks.

You're welcome.  May be something I read in one of Dan Erlewine's books.