Author Topic: AC/DC Finished?  (Read 7599 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: AC/DC Finished?
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2014, 12:31:05 PM »
"shitty bands that couldn't rock 'n' roll and broke up long ago"

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dave, you are a walking talking minority opinion!!! And if this isn't rock'n'roll - sonically, visually and by the sheer excitement and good time of it - to even the most avid Led Zep hater, I don't know what is. Open your heart. Don't be like the Catholic Church and deny the obvious.  :)

You're just determined to turn this into another Zep thread. Nope, not biting.

Get well, Malcolm.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2014, 12:32:19 PM »
I'm not especially fond of AC/DC. But I was reading this article a couple of days ago, and IMHO Angus just hit the nail on the head: "...even on a bad night, Chuck Berry is a lot better than Clapton will ever be."

You go, Angus!  :thumbsup:

Yawn. Knocking Clapton as "can't play, can't rock, can't really play the blues" is strikingly original and sooooo risque! And Eric would be too much of a gentleman to ever compare himself with Chuck (or anyone else, he was never in the competiton thing except when he was an adolescent, he left Cream to get out of it, wanting to be Robbie Robertson instead).

Angus Young is a loudmouth with a chip on his shoulder because his Aussie club band was looked down upon by US and British acts in the early to mid-seventies, that's all.

Angus and his brother write songs as 60-year olds about important things like rock'n'roll trains and Eric Clapton wrote songs in his forties about unsubstantial stuff like losing a child as a father. To each his own.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2014, 12:35:28 PM »
Uhum ...

Angus Young from AC/DC has some nice words to say about Eddie Van Halen…

“AC/DC played on a bill with Van Halen back in 1978 or 1979 for a Bill Graham Day on the Green show. I didn’t know much about Van Halen then except that I remember seeing film clips of them, especially the one of Eddie playing the solo piece, ‘Eruption,’ and I was very impressed. I didn’t meet Eddie until years later when there was a Monsters of Rock open-air festival in England. I was shocked to hear he liked my playing, because I’ve never rated myself as a guitarist.

“Eddie is an innovator. When I grew up we had a lot of guys from England who were great players, like Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, and Jeff Beck. And then, of course, when Jimi Hendrix came along, he changed the game. I’d put Eddie in that category of being an innovator like Hendrix. He changed the game for his style of playing. When Eddie came along he spawned so many imitators. Like Hendrix, suddenly you started to see people wanting to buy the same guitars he played and also play his licks. He turned the rule book upside down in terms of his approach. There was a lot of experimentation to his playing. Eddie also crosses into that avant-garde thing, which puts him in the same category as Hendrix.

“‘Eruption‘ is a favorite track. He’s got everything characteristic of his playing in that song–there’s a bit of everything.

“When Jimi Hendrix came along it was like, ‘Where did this guy come from?’ and I think that was the same feeling with Eddie. When Eddie appeared on the scene, every guitarist I ran into said, ‘You’ve gotta hear this guy!’”

—Angus Young

Read more: http://www.vhnd.com/2011/08/31/angus-young-on-eddie-van-halen/#ixzz2z501wACT

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2014, 12:44:03 PM »
Hey, at least you're talking about Angus now.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2014, 12:44:49 PM »
"You're just determined to turn this into another Zep thread. Nope, not biting."

No, I seek out uncorroborated, hilarious statements like "Zep can't play rock'n'roll". I learned that from someone here.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2014, 12:48:29 PM »
Hey, at least you're talking about Angus now.

Pah, I had the guy drop sweat on me (while Bon Scott carried him around in Jahrhunderthalle in Frankfurt, they even did this as an opening act) when you still thought AC/DC had something to do with electricity and that all Australian rock stars looked something like Olivia Newton-John!  :) Anybody here who has seen AC/DC as early as 1976? It was my first darn rock concert ever.

And I saw them (because they had Judas Priest as an opening act, playing in Germany for the first time) in November 1979 again, a few weeks before Bon Scott's death ...

Plus on the Black Ice tour, so there!  :P I even paid good money for the "Got live if you want it" and "Let there be Rock" LPs. When I first heard "Highway to Hell" at a party my thought was: "Oh, so they've learned the art of melody after all, about time too!" (Even though at that time "A Touch Too Much" was the bigger hit.)

PS: Hey, I even admit that my first band "Thunderbolt", founded in 1977, covered "Whole Lotta Love Rosie" around 1978 or so. People used to like it (along with Blitzkrieg Bop of the Ramones and Kick out the Jams from the MC5, we were eclectic!). I can still play it too! Guitarist used to - hoy! - drive me - hoy! - nuts with the - hoy! -  "TNT" riff at - hoy! - rehoy!sals. :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 01:18:31 PM by uwe »

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2014, 12:51:52 PM »

Regretfully........I've never seen AC/DC.

Regretfully, I saw LZ in '74. Worst show ever, they couldn't rock then!

I  wish I could trade my expieriences  :sad:
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2014, 02:15:44 PM »
Not all your experiences, Mark!!!  :o What is and what should never be.  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 02:21:07 PM by uwe »

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2014, 03:06:47 PM »
Not all your experiences, Mark!!!  :o What is and what should never be.  :mrgreen:

A girl has to have *some* secrets  ;)

Now I really wish I'd seen AC/DC tho............Even drugs couldn't help LZ!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2014, 03:39:56 PM »
Official announcement on their webpage confirms that Malcolm is taking a break and that the band will still be "making music" in his absence.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2014, 04:38:42 PM »
Openers
Home (ACDC link) at Wembley in '74 (SLade)
Heavy Metal Kids at Wembley in '75 (Alice Cooper)
ACDC in '76 at a pub called the Red Cow, around the corner from the Odeon (not me, my best man - I first saw them the last BS tour), with BS wearing a kilt and playing bagpipes, badly... :mrgreen:
Iron Maiden at a pub called the Feathers in Kingsbury in '79 - the place was otherwise known as the Soundhouse (as in the EP name)
Police at the Rainbow '78 (Spirit!?!?)
Loads of other odd ones...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2014, 06:16:33 PM »
...with BS wearing a kilt and playing bagpipes, badly... :mrgreen:

How does one qualify playing the bagpipes "badly"? - I've never been able to tell the difference...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJACPfUU3nk
Saw them in '79 with Bon - opening for Uncle Ted at Madison Square Garden, and then a year or so later - headlining at the Palladium in NYC with Brian Johnson. Def Leppard was the opening act on their first trip over here.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2014, 06:56:01 PM »
I saw LZ from very far away and loved them.  I saw AC/DC while barely knowing who they were.  It was an outdoor show, and as we walked into the backstage area, the band sounded just like the record.  I became a fan that day.  Bon Scott and I talked at the river's edge for about half an hour over a beer.    8)
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2014, 05:29:18 AM »
Bagpipes are hellishly difficult to play, I once tried for half an hour and failed miserably, couldn't get one note out of the dead animal hide.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2014, 05:58:23 AM »
Frick.  I was mixin up me Youngs this whole time like a fricken dink.    How embarrassing.  Way to play the long game  Uwe.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)