Author Topic: How to supplement your touring income  (Read 11266 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: How to supplement your touring income
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2014, 12:58:53 PM »
Dave, even when the levee breaks, don't always put yourself at the center of things!  :mrgreen:

And it continues.  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

I made a sincere request not to turn the AC/DC thread into yet another pointless back-and-forth discussion of Led Zeppelin. You not only made a point of ignoring me, you mocked me by deliberately driving another unrelated thread off-topic into Led Zeppelin.

It's not funny, it's obnoxious, and you ought to be able to see from Tom and Jake's comments that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2014, 02:05:37 PM »
I mock everyone - hopefully good-naturedly - here and am allowed to be mocked by everyone, whether good-naturedly or not. Mercy neither expected nor granted. Quite possibly, I enjoy slipping a few Led Zep titles in and even more so that you recognize them.

Since the dawn of man threads have been going off subject here ("where off topic discussion is welcome") and very often return miraculously to the orginal subject just like verbal discussion of a family at dinner wanders off and meets again (or two different things are being discussed by different participants at the same time over the table, happens all the time in my family).

The AC/DC thread turned to Led Zep for a short while, because Zep was given as an example of how a band should end gracefully and people in the AC/DC thread worried whether the band might decide to continue in the absence of Malcolm as it obviously now has. Zep discussion did not center on how good or bad the band was, but on Plant's refusal to reform it except for impromptu events (and whether you thought that artistically credible or not). Meanwhile that same thread discusses bagpipes, but who knows it might turn to AC/DC yet again. Or a new bagpipe thread turns to AC/DC or - Thor forbid! - Led Zeppelin, stranger things have happened at the LBO or the land of ice and snow.

Then you crash the party having read and disliked the mentioning of Led Zeppelin (without most likely having read how and why Led Zep got in there, because you didn't care) and leave the crowning remark that they are a shitty band that doesn't know how to rock'n'roll. A statement of utmost pertinence to the original subject, namely bagpipes, Led Zeppelin, no ... what was it again ... AC/DC! Unless, of course, AC/DC knows how to rock'n'roll and Led Zep doesn't and that was the point you wanted to make just like Chuck Berry (or was it Angus Young?) elevated John Mayall's Bluesbreakers' Beano album and Eric Clapton somehow sucked all along. Make of that what you will.  :o Ramble on.

You've pushed me into defending Led Zep the Un-Deep Purple, of all bands. I'll never forgive you that, Dave!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 02:19:04 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2014, 02:41:56 PM »
I'm OK (I'm not a Zep fan though I do appreciate Bonham's contribution to the art of membranophony, that is, mostly, illustrating the common Latin root of the French word for his instrument with the English word for vigorous pummeling).

Mostly I was teasing Uwe about his fixations, with a subtle hint of 'don't poke the bull,' but lawyers aren't that good at picking up on subtlety when they are otherwise focused. ... and while it's open season on Uwe, I would like to point out a bit  of irony: like himself, I am a also little peaved that he once forced me into defending those satanist junkie sex maniacs ;P .  Something about his Germano-Prussian ancestry forces him to view the loose jammy feel of the band as sloppiness.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2014, 03:06:17 PM »
Since the dawn of man threads have been going off subject here ("where off topic discussion is welcome") and very often return miraculously to the orginal subject just like verbal discussion of a family at dinner wanders off and meets again (or two different things are being discussed by different participants at the same time over the table, happens all the time in my family).

You're being disingenuous. You know very well that "where off topic discussion is welcome" means topics not related to bass. It's never meant ruining threads just for the hell of it by deliberately taking them off topic. And you know I've never objected when threads naturally go off topic. That's not what happened in the AC/DC thread and you know it.

I don't care who does or doesn't like other bands. That's just a matter of personal taste. I only made my "shitty band" comment because I was angry that the thread had deliberately been derailed and was turning into yet another dreary LZ discussion. Enough is enough. Not funny in the least.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2014, 03:21:38 PM »
"Mostly I was teasing Uwe about his fixations ..."

:mrgreen:

We could always form a club of "The Unwilling Sex Zep Offenders". People could register our addresses for surveillance so the neighborhood feels safe.

Is it ok to discuss AC/DC in this thread for once? My German-Prussian ancestry might find the "Satanist Junkie Sex Maniacs"  :mrgreen: too loose, but AC/DC  - especially in the early days - I always found a little too stiff (no double entendre intended for once!), heavy-handed is another word. Not as heavy-handed as Kiss on a non-Bob Ezrin produced bad day, but too "rock" and too little "roll" for my taste. Hard to describe in words, but this here sounds un-Teutonic to me, it rolls:

AC/DC very often just rocks to my ears, there is nothing playful to the groove.

Comprendre? Even something as heavy as this here "rolls" in my ears due to Bill Ward's drums (though Black Sabbath have no doubt had technically more proficient drummers).

I know how people rave about the Rudd/Williams rhythm section, but the magic eludes me (of course they play well and tight, but I don't hear no magic). AC/DC sounds rigid to me, choppy riffs, straight fundament, very little syncopation there. I never hear anything bubbling like the bass line of Free's Alright Now for example was, a song not totally unsimilar to Highway to Hell.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 03:38:08 PM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2014, 03:33:02 PM »
1. You're being disingenuous. You know very well that "where off topic discussion is welcome" means topics not related to bass. It's never meant ruining threads just for the hell of it by deliberately taking them off topic.

2. And you know I've never objected when threads naturally go off topic. That's not what happened in the AC/DC thread and you know it.

Guilty on count 1, but it was worth a try and strictly wording oriented interpretation which per se is permissible!  8)

Not guilty on count 2, Zep only got in there (and not even via me I cry!) because they are an example of a band not continuing once the original line up becomes defunct. They are probably the most famous example for it too. And their temptations (making shitloads of money via continuing, not that I mind) are similar to AC/DC and they are a comparable mega-act. That was a natural transition/connection to me. You were just set off/triggered for whatever reason.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 05:02:22 PM by uwe »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2014, 03:49:42 PM »
Returning (more or less) to the original topic, I wouldn't be surprised if any number of touring bands had a side business in distributing various substances as an income supplement.  There have certainly been enough touring bands with marginal income to make add-on revenue sources attractive.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 04:13:15 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2014, 03:52:06 PM »
Are bagpipes and Hellcats still Kosher...?

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2014, 04:38:13 AM »
Returning (more or less) to the original topic, I wouldn't be surprised if any number of touring bands had a side business in distributing various substances as an income supplement.  There have certainly been enough touring bands with marginal income to make add-on revenue sources attractive.

In the seventies Jon Lord had a doppelgänger who followed the band around its endless tours in the US selling bad coke to people and claiming to be him. The Purple organisation found out when there were repeated customer complaints! Coke on the waaaater ...  :mrgreen:

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2014, 05:41:02 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cg2O4SsHQw&feature=kp

"...We toured to the north, south, east and west
We sold some mushroom tea,
We sold some ecstasy,
We sold nitrus, opium, acid, heroin and PCP..."

Not that I advocate that... or even digging this band.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)