Author Topic: Aged Antigua. Fugly or Fabulous? You be the judge  (Read 5303 times)

4stringer77

• View Profile
Aged Antigua. Fugly or Fabulous? You be the judge
« on: March 20, 2014, 06:46:24 AM »
This is the only precision I have ever owned. I acquired it around 1997 with a scratched out serial number but I believe the second to last number on the neck stamp indicates she's a year younger than me, made in 78'. I carelessly traded the bass in college to a friend. We stayed in touch since and I intermittently got to see the bass over the years and just had to have it back. At some point somebody decided to toss the original matching guard and the pots along with it. The pickup was replaced with a Rio Grande vintage P and it sounds good. The original pickup is still supposed to be floating around with a different friend of ours but I haven't heard back from that guy. I rehearsed with a band that has a Hammond/keys player doing Soul live type stuff and they preferred the Fender over the Gibson $ bass. They said the $ bass sounds too much like a rock bass and the Precision fits in better with the old school vibe.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Aged Antigua. Fugly or Fabulous? You be the judge
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 07:02:31 AM »
  When these came out I could not stomach them, these days I'm a little less harsh and file them in the so ugly it's cool category. I almost bought one of the new Fender Antigua Precisions. That's a cool bass you have there and glad you got it back.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 08:03:02 AM »
Never was a fan, but I actually like it better with the white pickguard. Cool bass either way!

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 08:05:55 AM »
Thanks Scott. If I ever make it over to Rochester I'd be happy to show you the bass. It really has aged nicely and I think I'm going to keep it the way it is. The white pickguard is nice but I was thinking a tort pickguard might really set it off. There's a guy making some amazing stuff now. This is one them.

http://spitfiretortoiseshellpickguards.wordpress.com/

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 08:17:33 AM »
  Not so sure  If I would like tort on that. The white looks good, I think aged white/b/w would look perfect on it. Anytime your in the Rochester area give me a shout I'd love to see the bass!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 08:27:25 AM »
It'd be worth the trip for the wings and to check out your collection. I brought the bass back to where I bought it for a set up and the owner told me the same thing about cream or parchment being a good match and then he said I could stain the existing guard maybe with some coffee or tea. That tort is tempting but it's not cheap either. I think a precision guard would be about $140.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 09:19:11 AM »
I like it with the white PG too.  The original antigua PG was a bit too much, and I'm not a fan of tort on that particular color.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 10:47:44 AM »
I'm in agreement with everything that has been posted - bass looks amazing, the white guard to me makes the antigua more palatable.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 11:35:59 AM »
Agreed the aged white would look great. Are you able to say who is making that tort guard? I really like that particular mottled tort.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 12:02:30 PM »
Link to the site under the pic. I hope this guy can handle his stuff. It is the singularly best tort available anywhere. If I was him I'd sell the process to FMI for a ridiculous huge lump sum and not have to worry about running the show. I can see a huge demand looming. I still think his guard would look great on my bass or any bass for that matter.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 01:50:15 PM »
Nothing that a bit of Nitromors and a respray won't cure... :vader:

The neck looks lovely and lived-in though...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 05:32:47 PM »
I never though Antigua looked that bad. Wouldn't choose it for myself though. Yours looks pretty good, some of them haven't aged well.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 05:47:15 PM »
It'd be worth the trip for the wings and to check out your collection. I brought the bass back to where I bought it for a set up and the owner told me the same thing about cream or parchment being a good match and then he said I could stain the existing guard maybe with some coffee or tea. That tort is tempting but it's not cheap either. I think a precision guard would be about $140.

The bass looks great- congrats on getting it back.

Re: aging the white pg, I've read that turmeric (the spice) works good to age/yellow plastic parts.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 06:51:51 PM »
Turmeric can probably stain anything you put it on. I don't think I'll be doing any home science experiments with the guard I have. The tug bar holes are on the wrong side. I think turmeric is supposed to be good for preventing Alzheimer's as well.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 01:36:18 PM »
I'm going to see this fellow Krishna at the guitar garage in Waltham MA, to discuss options for the bass. I've been seeing him turn out some nice work and I'm sure he can help me whichever direction I decide to go. I'll update as things develope.