Author Topic: Aged Antigua. Fugly or Fabulous? You be the judge  (Read 5305 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Aged Antigua. Fugly or Fabulous? You be the judge
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 09:33:43 PM »
I'm going to see this fellow Krishna at the guitar garage in Waltham MA, to discuss options for the bass. I've been seeing him turn out some nice work and I'm sure he can help me whichever direction I decide to go. I'll update as things develope.

Hieronymous (Harry) has used Krishna in the past. See  http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=627.0 Krishna is registered here as bostonguitarrepair (his former business name) although he hasn't posted in years.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 08:49:40 AM »
Hieronymous (Harry) has used Krishna in the past. See  http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=627.0 Krishna is registered here as bostonguitarrepair (his former business name) although he hasn't posted in years.
Thanks Dave - yeah, haven't corresponded with him since around the time of that refin that you linked too. Krishna was a good guy though - 4stringer77 - get him to post here if you end up working with him!  :)

(He also did a nice job reversing the courses on my Ric 8-string - cut a new nut and new bridge saddles)

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 09:11:23 AM »
I should be seeing him next week. I'll be sure to let him know he's loved and missed here.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 04:00:01 PM »
Krishna's a peach. We had a chill couple minutes talking about stuff in his collection and the ever burgeoning market home and abroad for vintage guitars and basses. I made sure to tell him everyone here says hi and he recounted the occasion he had to work with heironymous and his remarkable pickups. Krishna says he can make an Antigua guard to match the bass. He recommended I take the bass to Mouradian for a heat treatment to try to correct some of the issues with the neck. I'll update after that.
Well, it looks like I'll be seeing Steve Morrill instead. He also has the equipment to heat treat the neck and probably can get my bass back to me quicker than the Mouradians could. Krishna said Steve does fine work as well. The twist was something I was aware of back when I traded the bass and part of the reason I traded it. It isn't that bad though and hasn't gotten any worse over the years. Where I set my action and what can be heard from my amp in a live setting almost makes it a negligible issue but it's too tempting to not try and correct the neck as much as possible.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 11:16:45 AM by 4stringer77 »

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2014, 03:27:44 PM »
Steve Morrill set me straight. The neck's not twisted but the ninth fret was seated a little on the high side so he'll tap it down best he can or dress it level. I'm going to have him set the bass up a bit better with La Bella 760 fs deep talkin' flats. Can't say I cared for the DR legend flats that I tried on there when I got the bass back. They're a little too lifeless and devoid of a rich harmonic overtone structure. He'll also make me a parchment guard with a thumb rest on the correct side. I didn't feel like messing with any expensive tort just yet and didn't want to take a gamble on a painted repro pick guard looking like a correct match. Oh yeah and new flat top knobs. Pics when it's done.

I waved to Joe Biden on his way out of Boston after commemorating the bombings from last year. His rather large cavalcade drove by Bukowsky's where I was having lunch and a beer (maybe a couple) after seeing Steve.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 03:38:38 PM by 4stringer77 »

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2014, 07:14:52 PM »
The Mouradians definitely have a long wait time. I remember it being like a month just for a setup! Glad you got to talk to Krishna too - I'll have to drop him a line. I'm getting homesick for Boston!

Also, yours is the first report I have heard of the Legends - I bought a set but haven't put them on a bass yet. Got them for my Duck Dunn Precision which currently has GHS flats. That might be a project to undertake.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 06:29:23 AM »
Steve said he'd have it done in no time. Ordering the pickguard material will be the longest part of the wait. About the Legends. They have their fans I'm sure but they are a little too flat for my tastes. The E string seemed more on the dead side and out of balance with the rest of the set. From what I've heard about Pyramid golds it seems they may be similar sounding and if you like those you might like the Legends.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 09:24:12 PM »
Steve did a bang up job by golly! Put a piece of aluminium foil under the threaded saddle bridge I provided to secure the ground wire contact. He banged in the frets on the treble side and put on La Bella 760fs flats along with the parchment guard and thumb rest. This P plays like a dream now!
Here's one way to make an Antigua finish look good  ;D

The picture was taken at the Tilted Kilt in Nashua, NH.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:12:37 AM by 4stringer77 »

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2014, 10:26:33 AM »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2014, 11:51:21 PM »
[Clansman] Who gave them permission to wear my family colours... [[Clansman]

Bass...? What bass...?  :mrgreen:

Just enquire as to where they've hidden their Skean Dhu's... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2014, 06:41:13 AM »
It would make perfect sense for these waitresses to have that accessory. They could bring out bread, cheese and fruit and cut it table side and if a customer got fresh they would have something to defend themselves with.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2014, 06:57:36 PM »
Or a haggis.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2014, 07:19:11 PM »
I suspect a haggis would make an excellent defensive weapon.  No one would want to get hit by one.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2014, 06:04:19 PM »
Haggis is a delectable dish. I'm disappointed it's not on their menu. Any kind of meat pie would have been nice as well, especially kidney pie, but alas it is nowhere to be found on the menu either. The elephant and castle had kidney pie on the menu in Toronta when I was there yet the same establishment in Boston didn't have it. The Brittish Beer co chain here does have some decent pies and pasties with at least one true cask ale on tap unlike the Tilted Kilt.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2014, 10:08:30 PM »
No thanks. Anything with oatmeal in it gets a big thumbs down from me.