Author Topic: reunited with my 8-string!  (Read 4556 times)

maxschrek

• I'm getting closer, my Salamander.
    • View Profile
Re: reunited with my 8-string!
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 12:28:45 PM »
Hey, so long as it's stable, thin is good! Fantastic bass by the way :)

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 07:55:17 PM »
Finally some new pictures of the eight.

I enjoyed working with the reflections to try and be as unobtrusive as possible - not easy, but rewarding!

And I don't usually have that many effects - two are superfluous, the Hematoma is being replaced by the Fulltone Bass Drive, and the TC Flashback by the Space Echo pedal. Have a couple of performances tomorrow - very short but going for both the sound and the image of the black 8-string...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 04:04:12 PM »
The 5-string is slightly wider and breath thicker ... You have to squint your eyes to see it though.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2014, 08:20:02 PM »
The 5-string is slightly wider and breath thicker ... You have to squint your eyes to see it though.
I've never actually played a 5-string Ric - saw one once back in 2002 at Mr. Music in Allston, Massachusetts.

Today was a beautiful day so I made the most of the 8-string's reflective qualities:

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 07:08:31 AM »
drool. 

I hate how much I love the look of these things - not only are they expensive but the necks just don't work for me so I can never let myself buy one despite the sex appeal.  Incidentally, I like the root on top (the first 8 string I ever played was that way, as were most of the 12 string geetars I've played so it's just the way I'm used to it.... every other 8 I've ever encountered was octave on top and it always weirds me out), but your reasons make total sense (especially the fingerstyle root only thing - Ima try that next time I come across one.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 01:42:06 PM »
+1 on reflective... 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2014, 08:04:27 PM »
Wow! What a great thread, featuring two of my fav online bass buddies.

That bass sure does look righteous! I once bid on one pretty aggressively, but I was sorta glad I lost since I'm not sure I have the hand strength to handle one. You guys are in a league well above mine!

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2014, 11:22:41 PM »
I definitely love the look of the 4003S/8 - I love the 4001/4003 in general, an 8-string version is just icing on the cake, it can be cool in an 8-string way, or like a 4003 on steroids. Definitely takes some effort to play - I'm toying with the idea of tuning it down (after listening to King's X on the way home from a meeting) - I definitely really need to sit down with it, change the strings, then consider if it needs any adjustment. Maybe try the down-tuning before changing the strings, just to see what happens...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2014, 11:52:54 AM »
I was sorta glad I lost since I'm not sure I have the hand strength to handle one.

I have trouble specifically with that as a side effect of carpal tunnel surgery, but in my experience if the bass is setup well it doesn't really take much strength to fret the string pairs beyond what a 4 string would require.  I have my coursed strings all setup pretty much like my 4s (similar neck relief and action), and I do fine on them during extended play 4+ hours. 

Just sayin' that there may be hope, and if it is a struggle to play one then a good setup might just be in order.

Sparked from some advice from Carlo, I started experimenting with strings a bit on my Hamer B8S - making my own set of roots/octaves.  After some trials and much patience, I landed on the following gauges - made up from a set of D'Addario EXL220M bass strings and EXL110BT balanced tension guitar strings:

E - .095
E - .046
A - .075
A - .034
D - .060
D - .025
G - .045
G - .017

(Edit: forgot to mention that I preferred and kept the heavier "G" root from a EXL-170S set.  Mix and match!)

I was a little worried about the 95s being too floppy on a short scale, but so far I'm digging it!  This thing flies now, and plays effortlessly.  This mixed set strikes good balance between the uber heavy EXL-170-8 set and the extra light SIT packaged 8-string sets.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 11:59:25 AM by chromium »