Author Topic: reunited with my 8-string!  (Read 4559 times)

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
reunited with my 8-string!
« on: March 18, 2014, 10:50:43 PM »
I used to go out to Massachusetts (from Japan or now California) whenever I could, to record with one of my best friends (a drummer) at another friend's home studio. I would leave a couple of instruments there so all I would have to bring was effects that I wanted to use. But five years or so ago I got busy and didn't have as much income so I haven't been back in a long time. I finally decided to have my friend with the studio ship me my 1993 Jetglo Rickenbacker 4003S/8:

It's BTBH (black trim black hardware) - I replaced the bridge pickup mount with the one from Pickguardian. It's really hard to take pictures of because it reflects everything like a mirror - I feel like I finally understand why "glo" stands for "gloss"! I haven't plugged it in yet - hopefully it's working ok electronically, gotta check that soon. The action is a little high, but I'm going to just play it for a while. I bought a couple of packages of the Rickenbacker 8-string set when they closed them out a while back, need to decide if I'm going to change them now or later. I have a kind of a solo gig coming up in a week and a half so I need to decide soon!

Here's a shot of the headstock:

The 4003S/8 was originally strung with the octave string on the bottom, but I much prefer having it on top so I had it changed (by Krishna Jain, who refinished my Telembic. I remember reading somewhere that the reason it uses 8 identical tuners is so that it can be restrung either way. I feel like I read it in a post by John Hall but not totally sure of that.

Anyway, I'm really happy to have it back in my hands - I played it for like an hour outside today, we've been having super-nice weather. My fingers are sore but it was worth it!

Paul Boyer

• View Profile
Re: reunited with my 8-string!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 05:52:34 AM »
Gorgeous! But then, you knew that! :)
Author
"The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years as Rock's Bottom"

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 08:21:43 AM »
Thanks Paul! I love your book by the way!

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 08:58:37 AM »
Love this one- the blackout look really works on it.  That first photo on the steps is great, by the way.

Hey when Krishna reversed the string courses, do you know if he used the same bridge saddles? (e.g. flip the existing ones around so that the small slot and big slot were in the appropriate positions).  Or did he replace them with new, and recut?  After doing the structural repair on mine, I never went back to tackling that. 

I've had enough of these in my hands now to know that roots go on the bottom - end of story (at least for me).  When they are setup that way, I can actually hit (mostly) just the roots when I want to via fingerstyle playing, and then reach for the pick to dig into the octaves when that suits the song.  This is a lot easier for me than constantly trying to swap basses live, and as a result I find that I'm playing these coursed stringers a lot lately.  Yes... might be a phase, but it's a really fun phase.  Gotta see where this rabbit hole leads...  8)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 09:20:13 AM by chromium »

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 09:10:47 AM »
Fantastic! Glad you got it back, and ended up not selling it.  ;) My '93 FireGlo is magical...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 09:46:18 AM »
All our exes live in Texas Massachusetts. My old Precision was waiting for me in the Berkshires. It's great getting an old bass back. Cheers!  :toast:
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 01:44:39 PM »
Hey when Krishna reversed the string courses, do you know if he used the same bridge saddles? (e.g. flip the existing ones around so that the small slot and big slot were in the appropriate positions).  Or did he replace them with new, and recut?  After doing the structural repair on mine, I never went back to tackling that. 

I've had enough of these in my hands now to know that roots go on the bottom - end of story (at least for me).  When they are setup that way, I can actually hit (mostly) just the roots when I want to via fingerstyle playing, and then reach for the pick to dig into the octaves when that suits the song.  This is a lot easier for me than constantly trying to swap basses live, and as a result I find that I'm playing these coursed stringers a lot lately.  Yes... might be a phase, but it's a really fun phase.  Gotta see where this rabbit hole leads...  8)
I ordered new saddles, either directly from Rickenbacker or Pick of the Rics, and Krishna cut new ones. 5$ apiece at the Ric Boutique!

That's cool that you're playing it with fingers just for the roots. I just attack mine with a pick! I definitely had left-hand fingering problems when I had it with the root on top - root on the bottom just fits my finger pads better...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 02:16:03 PM »
I ordered new saddles, either directly from Rickenbacker or Pick of the Rics, and Krishna cut new ones. 5$ apiece at the Ric Boutique!

That's cool that you're playing it with fingers just for the roots. I just attack mine with a pick! I definitely had left-hand fingering problems when I had it with the root on top - root on the bottom just fits my finger pads better...

Thanks - that kinda what I suspected.  I was holding out in hopes that I could land one of Teeder's 8-saddle bridges on the next run, and knock this out all at once.  I'll probably reverse the strings at some point regardless, as I'm not playing it much at all right now.  I have trouble getting the octaves to ring out (left-hand fingering problems) when I play it as-is with the roots on top.  Usually, it just sounds like a 4-string  ;D

For some of the stuff the band does (some Motown/R&B, etc...) I have to revert back to fingerstyle.  I'm just not dexterous enough with a pick to pull certain things off, but I'm working on it.  These basses are certainly helping to challenge me in that regard.

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 02:21:24 PM »
Thanks - that kinda what I suspected.  I was holding out in hopes that I could land one of Teeder's 8-saddle bridges on the next run, and knock this out all at once.  I'll probably reverse the strings at some point regardless, as I'm not playing it much at all right now.  I have trouble getting the octaves to ring out (left-hand fingering problems) when I play it as-is with the roots on top.  Usually, it just sounds like a 4-string  ;D
I almost bought one of those 8 saddle bridges, but passed at the time, since I wasn't using the bass. If those ever reappear, could you let me know? I'd be into getting one now, though I miraculously still haven't really noticed much in the way of intonation problems.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 02:30:25 PM »
I almost bought one of those 8 saddle bridges, but passed at the time, since I wasn't using the bass. If those ever reappear, could you let me know? I'd be into getting one now, though I miraculously still haven't really noticed much in the way of intonation problems.

Yeah definitely - I still hover at RRF.  I know how it is with side projects, and so I figure "it'll be where its at" and whenever he's able to get to it I'll see the communication there and try to grab one.

When I'm playing it without other instruments (...or with just bass and drums) the intonation doesn't really bug me.  In the band setting, however, I always end up feeling like I'm slightly out of tune - whereas the Hamers and BC Rich are dead on all the way up the neck.

I wonder if the Ric strings play into it at all?  Maybe I'll try a set when I do get around to this...

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 04:11:32 PM »
When I'm playing it without other instruments (...or with just bass and drums) the intonation doesn't really bug me.  In the band setting, however, I always end up feeling like I'm slightly out of tune - whereas the Hamers and BC Rich are dead on all the way up the neck.

I wonder if the Ric strings play into it at all?  Maybe I'll try a set when I do get around to this...
Aha, that's a good point - mine is always being played by itself, I haven't had to deal with playing with other tonal instruments.  8)

Not sure about the strings either - I don't think they are available anymore new though.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 12:29:53 AM »
All our exes live in Texas Massachusetts.

All mine are buried in the shed... :o

How could you have left that Lady so far from home, H... shame on you... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 10:31:19 AM »
How could you have left that Lady so far from home, H... shame on you... ;)
I kind of can't believe it myself - I used to go back east a lot more - I needed an actual project where I was going to use the bass to make the push to get it out here. Credit goes to my buddy who took care of it back there and put in the effort to pack it really well and ship it to me.

In the meantime, here are a couple of shots of the fingerboard:

maxschrek

• I'm getting closer, my Salamander.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 12:06:24 PM »
Beautiful fretboard! Also, that neck looks crazy thin, especially to be an 8 stringer.

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 12:18:42 PM »
Beautiful fretboard! Also, that neck looks crazy thin, especially to be an 8 stringer.
You might be right - I had a Tune 8-string but never thought to measure the neck and have since sold it. Never had them side-by-side either. AFAIK, Ric never changed the neck dimensions for otherly-stringed versions, the 5-string being most notorious...