Author Topic: 4001 Question(s)  (Read 4822 times)

saltymonkey

• View Profile
4001 Question(s)
« on: March 17, 2014, 05:15:27 PM »
I've been itching to add a Rick to my stable for a while now.  I've played a couple newer 4003s but they both had pretty thick necks.  I've read in Rick threads where a lot is said about old ones having skinny necks. But not consistently. I've been looking at a couple of vintage 4001s. By looking I mean online and asking the sellers questions. Neither is close to me to be able to play. Both 4001s are for sale from reputable dealers. One is a 74 and the other a 76 both all original nice clean basses. Of course the neck pickup on these basses are in two different positions. In your opinions is one more desirable than the other. Or just different? Are there any other differences that deserve mention? Also both necks have been described to me as rounded and nice feeling in the hand, not clubby nor wide, shallow and flat. I know neck profile is a very subjective thing but since I can't play them. I can only ask the questions. I'd ideally like to find one without a big thick neck. Don't really care that it's vintage, just comfortably playable. Here is a youtube video of a 74, not the one I'm thinking of buying, that I think has really nice tone. Thank you guys for any opinions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pRXbUWeL74&index=2&list=FLqRZ268Ck3FxrpJwaPKMIoA
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 07:22:00 PM by saltymonkey »

chromium

• View Profile
Re: 4001 Question(s)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 10:08:31 PM »
Also both necks have been described to me as rounded and nice feeling in the hand, not clubby nor wide, shallow and flat. I know neck profile is a very subjective thing but since I can't play them. I can only ask the questions. I'd ideally like to find one without a big thick neck.

If it helps, these are the measurements I had taken off of my '78 when I was selling it:

Width:
1 11/16" @nut
2 1/16" @12th fret
2 1/4" @20th fret

Depth/thickness:
13/16" under 1st fret
7/8" under 12th fret

I really liked the neck on that one - had a very shallow profile all the way up.  My '73 gets chunkier up past the 12th fret, but it still has a great feel.

Not sure about the 74 and 76 you're considering, but there may also be some differences in the body shapes (upper horns, as seen in this pic):

I liked 'em both, but I had always wanted one in jetglo - and so after that one came into the mix the MG ultimately moved on.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 11:59:43 PM »
All other things being equal, I'd go for the '74 because of the half-inch spacing. To me it looks "correct". 4001v63 and C64's also have 1/2" spacing. The white bass in the video looks exactly like my white '73 before I changed the pickups for reissue horseshoe and toaster.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 02:53:54 AM »
Thanks for your help guys. I didn't notice the difference in body shape because they aren't next to each other but they are indeed different.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 09:17:42 PM »
Sorry, meant to jump in on this earlier...

I find that Rick necks feel different because the ones I have played are pretty wide at the nut - I wonder if that has anything to do with the perception that the necks are chunky? They don't taper like a Jazz or Precision. Just a theory!

I have found with my '76 4001, the pickups are pretty low output. Early on I put in Seymour Duncan pickups -  :puke:

I had them out within a couple of days! Later on, I realized that though the pickups were low output, they sounded great. I don't know for a fact that all the late-'70s ones had lower output, but I have heard a couple of people say they had similar experiences.

My impression is that for many, the '76 is less desirable, but it also depends what you desire! For some, full-width inlays would be high on the list, for others a real horseshoe pickup. I really love my '76, but a lot of that has to do with the circumstances that resulting in my becoming the caretaker.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 09:03:25 AM »
Ric necks got chunky for a decade or so after they got a new CNC router in 1999. Headstock shape got weird too. I believe in 2011, they came out with a new, slimmer, two piece neck. At the nut, they all seem pretty consistent at around 1-5/8'' to 1-11/16''. About the same or less than a P-Bass. And as mentioned, there's very little taper going up. My personal favorites come from the late 80s/early 90s.

Pickups were kind of low output up until about 1990. They're much ballsier now, and I like them a lot. There also used to be a low-cut capacitor on the bridge ("treble" in Ric-speak) pickup that went away mid 80s.

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 08:30:25 PM »
Thanks for all of your input. I bought the 74. It's Jetglo and really clean. It's coming from a small music store in Nashville. I should have it on Saturday. The seller measured the neck for me. 1 5/8" wide at the nut and
2 1/16" at the 12th fret. He didn't have calipers but his thickness measurements just using a tape measure were also pretty much in line with Chromium's measurements above. I'll take and post some pix after I get it. Here's a couple from the seller:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 10:34:57 PM »
Congrats, I think you made the right choice.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 10:36:07 PM »
Congrats, I think you made the right choice.
Hear, Hear! Looks great!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 12:14:17 AM »
Beautiful...

I last handled a Ric on my 21st when I was given a wad of cash by my parents as a gift and (don't look too horrified at this admission) but I opted for an Ibanez 12 string acoustic, which was within my budget (new with case) whereas the Jetglo (s/h - similar age - no case) was just outside it - it was a long-term thing: if I'd come home with yet another bass I'd have got the "why do you need another one of etc, etc... I still live with that, and as long as those items remain in the shed I will continue to do so... :rolleyes:

(still want one, btw - maybe post relocation and into '16...)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 05:23:33 AM »
Looks amazing. I'm sure you have made the right choice.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 07:47:06 AM »
Good choice! Just like Geddy Lee's original.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 07:49:23 AM »
Right on - that's beautiful!  Looks really clean.

Bonus points for jetglo  :vader:

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 04:13:47 PM »
Here it is! It's really great! It plays effortlessly. The neck is absolutely perfect. Just the slightest bit of relief and perfect low consistent action the whole way up the neck. I wouldn't call the neck skinny or thin but its not fat either very comfortable nice and round in the hand. It sounds fantastic. So nice and growly. I'm not much for trying to describe tone but I plugged it in and started playing and didn't want to change a thing. It was already there. Other than some really light finish checking on the body there's just one paint chip on the side of the headstock. I'm really really happy I went with this particular bass. Had a great afternoon playing it. Thanks again to you all for your insights and opinions.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 07:17:06 PM »
Does it have the red dots on the side of the fingerboard?  I believe all 74's do.  Great looking bass.