Author Topic: Flying V Custom Shop on Ebay  (Read 2742 times)

doombass

• View Profile
Flying V Custom Shop on Ebay
« on: March 10, 2014, 08:40:40 PM »
If it was'nt for the recent standard production run this would have felt more rare perhaps. Still interesting to see a Custom Shop Bass in spite of Uwe being denied ordering anything extra ordinary:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Very-Rare-GIBSON-CUSTOM-SHOP-FLYING-V-BASS-1998-4String-Bass-Made-in-USA-/151251166841

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Flying V Custom Shop on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 04:38:58 AM »
If this is really a 1998 model - and both case and bridge speak for that - then that bass was basically a prototype for the more recent series. Certainly closer to that (maho body and neck, TB Plus guitar size buckers) than to the early 80ies ones (alder and maple, Ripper pups). Way overpriced though, I'm not bidding.

Wonder if Tetsu Yamauchi had something to do with this one being special ordered. He collected Flying V basses for a while, but could never be seen with one (whwther it was with Free, The Faces or Rod Stewart).
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 04:42:22 PM »
The current issue is certainly closer to this one than the 1981 series. This is worth more as a CS piece (and with a traditional gloss finish) but I'll be amazed if it sells for anything remotely near his $4899 asking price. No make offer button either.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 05:40:38 AM »
Given their quality as basses, Flying Vs have been traded at inflated prices for ages. Those 1981 models traded a 3.000 bucks and above already 10 years and more ago. I still hold that most of these end up in Flying V guitar collections - how many bassists have you seen with a Gibson Flying V of any age?

If my Japanese Axis friends had a "make offer" button, I would have put something in. And if this had been a long scale model, I might have even gone the full way. As ist it, it's just to close to the new Flying V basses, which as Flying Vs go were the best Gibson has yet done.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 06:34:52 AM »
Having a Schaller bridge on there almost justifies the price.  :rolleyes: 
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 08:06:58 AM »
Those Schallers were en vogue with Gibson Custom Shop at the time - I have a bass with one from the CS around the same time as well. Use of the roller bridge in various shapes and forms goes back to the early 80ies with Gibson and the Victories. Les Paul Basses all through the nineties and the SG-Z had a simplified version of the roller bridge (not the "claws and wedges" contraption of the Victories, Explorers and the Q-80). Except for the not so great string to saddle pressure, it's not a bad bridge though its heyday is obviously over. Needless to say, I prefer the Holy Immaculate Trinity Point Bridge for looks, feel and function, but then I am a lonely prophet here whose calls in the desert go unheeded by the heathens and pagans around me.  :-\

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 08:29:13 AM »
Having a Schaller bridge on there almost justifies the price.  :rolleyes:

Best bridge ever.  8)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 12:16:36 PM »
Those Schallers were en vogue with Gibson Custom Shop at the time - I have a bass with one from the CS around the same time as well. Use of the roller bridge in various shapes and forms goes back to the early 80ies with Gibson and the Victories. Les Paul Basses all through the nineties and the SG-Z had a simplified version of the roller bridge (not the "claws and wedges" contraption of the Victories, Explorers and the Q-80). Except for the not so great string to saddle pressure, it's not a bad bridge though its heyday is obviously over. Needless to say, I prefer the Holy Immaculate Trinity Point Bridge for looks, feel and function, but then I am a lonely prophet here whose calls in the desert go unheeded by the heathens and pagans around me.  :-\

An old friend of mine didn't like the Schaller roller bridge b/c he felt it didn't couple well to the body. Maybe that had to do with string to saddle pressure, maybe not. In any case, you and he are the only two critics of the bridge I've ever heard.

Hamer also used the Schaller roller bridges back in the days before they decided to go with J-Bass copies instead of their own designs.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 03:25:10 PM »
Didn't know that Epi did CS jobs too... a link from the link above from a white Epi Korina V for a 10th of the cost...

Epi CS Explorer
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 04:05:19 PM »
Did someone say Korina?! That's a flying V I would buy...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 10:21:00 PM »
Didn't know that Epi did CS jobs too... a link from the link above from a white Epi Korina V for a 10th of the cost...

Epi CS Explorer

Despite the custom shop designation, this is just a relatively limited edition made in a Korean factory not owned by Gibson.

Highlander

• View Profile
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 08:19:32 AM »
I wanted to make an offer on that Alpine white Epi Explorer, but it's local pickup only. I asked about shipping, and the guy sounded like he'd never shipped a guitar before, so I passed. Oh, and 0 feedback...

"Hi...thanks for responding to my add.....Are you asking if shipping is available to Illinois? I guess it could be...if you're interested seriously....I will go to my local post office and find out how much it will cost you to ship.....with insurance...please email me with the shipping address. Thanks..."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 11:30:19 AM »
An old friend of mine didn't like the Schaller roller bridge b/c he felt it didn't couple well to the body. Maybe that had to do with string to saddle pressure, maybe not. In any case, you and he are the only two critics of the bridge I've ever heard.

Hamer also used the Schaller roller bridges back in the days before they decided to go with J-Bass copies instead of their own designs.

There is not really much of an angle going on on that bridge as regards fastening of string end on one hand and saddle contact point on the other if you have the action/saddles low.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 12:52:05 PM »
Anyone noted the sellers location... :o