Author Topic: '60s NR II restoration  (Read 5903 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
'60s NR II restoration
« on: February 14, 2014, 06:23:56 PM »
I received the bass safe and sound. First thing I did was take off the hardware and work on stripping some of the paint off the headstock looking for a serial number. As yet, nothing. It's had two sets of tuners on it in it's life though.

Haven't stripped the neck yet, but dang is that one smooth neck. If it's repaired it's the best job ever.

Both original pickup cavity and the added j pup cavity are red. Hmm. Was the j pup cavity painted red to match the original Cardinal Red finish? Who knows?

Control cavity is also red.

Is it normal to have a gap in the neck pocket like this?

This photograph makes me think that the entire bass was stripped and then repainted. The original bridge was replaced and nicely, with an aftermarket bridge. My theory is that the entire bass was stripped and repainted. I also suspect the easiest course of action was to repaint it red if it was originally red. If the entire thing was stripped though, who's to say? That is some beautiful mahogany though.

Someone had painted the pickguard black. In the original eBay photos you could just see the Thunderbird stamp.

Not knowing what type paint was used, I started off experimenting with brake fluid (which model builders use to strip old model kits before rebuilding them) and model paint thinner. Turns out that using a dish washing scotchbrite pad, the thinner worked out quite well. The weird spot to the left of the pickup hole is actually distorted material. On the backside is an area which looks exactly like too much model glue was used when gluing to pieces together. It's bubbled and rough. Fortunately it's not terrible.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 05:43:13 AM by Denis »
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: '60s NR II restoration
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 06:43:23 PM »
The gap is normal, NRs were never Gibson's finest work. Looking good!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 07:11:18 PM »
Thanks, Scott!
Clocks.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 08:54:45 PM »
In the control cavity never seen that notched outcrop for the screw before. The number of screws varies, either four or five are used.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 05:30:25 AM »
Nice work! Keep us posted

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 08:55:39 AM »
It's always possible that she's had a "chequered" past and without a serial number there is no evidence of it...?

imho, which we all know is worth squat ;), if value is removed from the equation, the only thing that counts is the wood, the neck and the pup... you going a fresh coat of Cardinal...? The original scratch makes for a nice feature...

You lucky b*st*rd... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Scott... I guess it would be fair to class you as the expert on these... what were the original tuners on these...?

:popcorn:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 09:46:33 AM »
Here's one of the eBay photos of the included items. I think only the TRC is not original.

Clocks.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 02:43:58 PM »
  That's a nice pile of parts! What color is the logo? If it is gold it looks original to me. Tuners should be open back reverse nickle plated clover leafs, posts are 11/16" in diameter. Having a brain cramp but I think Schaller made the originals.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 02:49:07 PM by godofthunder »

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 04:51:17 PM »
  That's a nice pile of parts! What color is the logo? If it is gold it looks original to me. Tuners should be open back reverse nickle plated clover leafs, posts are 11/16" in diameter. Having a brain cramp but I think Schaller made the originals.

Kluson on the tuners.  Same as used on early 60s Fenders but with different collars on the headstock.

Looking good, Denis!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 04:54:22 PM »
Kluson that's the name I was looking for!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 05:59:22 PM »
Kluson that's the name I was looking for!

I'm surprised  the Chinese didn't buy the name.  Probably been out of business too long.

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 06:59:10 PM »
I'm surprised  the Chinese didn't buy the name.  Probably been out of business too long.

Kluson tuners have been back out for a few years now.  The are currently owned by WD Music.  I don't know any of the details of how they acquired the company or trademark.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 12:26:42 PM »
Since this bass could have originally been red, and repainted red, or it might not have been red but repainted red, I've decided there's not real reason why it has to be red.

Therefore, Inverness Green!

Glenn Cornick had one that color when he played with Wild Turkey and though this pic is black and white you can tell it's a metallic color.

Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 03:05:04 PM »
Good choice!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 05:12:36 AM »
Paint is ordered, Inverness Green Poly, Ditzler code DDL 42480.  Acrylic lacquer like the original '59 Caddy color.  Looking forward to working with Denis on this!